It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada prepares for arrival of migrants in B.C.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Canada prepares for arrival of migrants in B.C.

www.ctv.ca

Tents and portable toilets have been set up at a Victoria military base in advance of the arrival of hundreds of Tamil migrants who are sailing towards the B.C. coast on a cargo ship
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
This is becoming a trend here in Canada. Not long ago another ship carrying 76 refugees arrived in the country. The majority of these refugees are thought to be members of the Tamil Tigers which is a terrorist group recognized by both the US and Canada. The sad thing is that Canada being the "tree hugging" nation we are will let these people in and give them housing and many many many more benefits. The saying goes you are better off being a refugee in Canada then being a senior that worked his whole life here.
When will Canada see this as a growing trend and a problem for all. I bet there is already another ship en route as I write this. I am absolutely sick and tired of this. Why can't our government follow suit like Australia and the US and simply meet them with the Navy and force them to turn around and go somewhere else. I hope at the least they charge and jail the owners and crew of this shipas they were fully aware of what they were transporting.

www.ctv.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12-8-2010 by nepafogo]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
True story...

I lost out on an IT contracting job because most people there were Caucasian and they needed more minorities in the field.

wtf!?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
True story...

I lost out on an IT contracting job because most people there were Caucasian and they needed more minorities in the field.

wtf!?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by nepafogo

Based on the article, i just think their immigration status is being put on the backburner in favour of making sure they all live.
So while I agree with the governments actions up to this point, it does seem like some type of "incremental" occurance that could shape public opinion.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Yeah! Cause they aren't people anyway. They can drown for all we care huh?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod

Wow, seems like you are insuating I think they should all drown??? Maybe that is the way you feel, but please stop putting words in my mouth. Just as the USA , Australia and many other countries do we should turn them away.

If you want to come to this country LEGALLY I have absolutely no problem with that, but if you think that you can just fill up a ship with 500 people and dock here I say "sorry we are closed".. This is not a one time thing this happens at least once every year. Word gets out that "hey, we can just go to Canada and they will let us stay. How many more ships you figure will start arriving.

But if you feel that Canada should have an open door policy of allowing ships loaded with refugee's to dock here and gain citizienship , why not allow the same policy for all of the mexican illegals coming across the US border?

[edit on 12-8-2010 by nepafogo]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
True story...

wtf!?

I know the feeling. I am/was a network engineer for a large telco and my job was sent to India because it was cheaper to out source. Never mind the terrible quality of work and continuous errors that are being made by the out sourcing company causing numerous customer outages. But hey, what can you do. At least I got a package for my 11 years of service and a steak dinner.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod

So if some strangers showed up in your yard you would house, feed, and provide medical care to them? Sounds to me like thats what your saying because thats exactly what happening here with this situation. I guess I'm a monster then because I would turn the boat around and if it sunk a day later tough luck. We didn't invite them nor should my tax dollars be spent on them.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Conflicting reports say the ship was boarded/not boarded by Canadian officials.

Toews said there are 490 migrants aboard the ship, and the vessel's operator has declared them to be refugees — but he said some of the people on the ship are "suspected human smugglers and terrorists."

Read more: www.cbc.ca...

[edit on 12-8-2010 by FoxMulder91]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Absolute BS.The 76 tamils who arrived on the first ship have all been screened and released to await their separate immigration hearings....All were cleared as far as it was possible to determine.
These people are escaping genocide in Sri Lanka.
The tamil Tigers fought to preserve their lives and those of their families against the genocidal actions of the SL goverment.
The tamils will be exterminated with impugnity by sri lanka over the next decade or so, of that i am sure.
It is irresponsible of you to make such foolish statements (they are all tamil tigers)without even checking the facts....or is your racist tendancy showing?shame on you.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I think all borders everywhere should be open to all! If you wanna stay somewhere, get a job and work to stay. If your gonna be a burden on the country, go back to where you came from. I think this would solve alot of the worlds problems. We would have so much race mingling that eventually no one would give two sh1ts about race. Why are canadians so nice to everyone in the world......it's because we have the whole world of different races in our back yard. we all get along because we are all PEOPLE!

nuff said!

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:20 AM
link   
[edit on 13-8-2010 by nepafogo]

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

Racist tendency? Is that what you got from my post? Move along troll not taking your bait.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
This is frustrating. Once again as you are aware by reading the earlier posts here, the boat has arrived in the Esquimalt harbour. This is the third incident of its kind- the first was when the Chinese boat load came to our shores in 1999, the second, the initial Tamil boatload.

There is a process in Canada regarding immigration; it should be followed but here we are, because, I feel, those who are in some positions in government having this role as part of their responsibilities, DO NOT do their job.

It plainly shows the world that Canada tolerates behaviour such as smuggling. It shows we have a splineless system and do not stand on guard. We should have done what Australia by sending a message of intolerance. Isn't it an embarrassment to members of the Canadian military and the Canadian public as well as those who are obediently going through the immigration process. Letters to the Prime
Minister do not work. So what will?

Here is an article from an interesting source. www.asiantribune.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
As a Canadian I like how accepting we are of others. The government does a lot more screening than you think. They have many protocols and are very aware of terrorist threats more than the media leads on. We are trying to provide hope to people who live in areas that are not as privileged, and as a Canadian that makes me proud. I think our government should do more for immigrants like provide more education and help them integrate into society and jobs so that they can help fund our beautiful country.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
If it wasn’t for the Canadians being an accepting people, then the Native Americans who escaped systematic extermination by escaping there would never have been able to. They were considered savages, below human by the US government, if the Canadians would have listened to the US and not been of their own mind when it came to the Native Americans, the ones who did leave the horror behind and venture into Canada would have not been permitted to.

I know that some of you will say this is different, but do we really know it is, we only know what the governments have told us and we know what they said about the Native Americans was not true.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

I agree with your sentiments, Xiamara, of Canada being accepting. However, we have allowed three incidents such as this to unfold ending with a boat on our shore, illegal migrants being held at the military base and being taken care of; does it not also show that when people come to Canada, they will be cared for and taken in? They'll be held, investigated then deported- just like the last group? No, chances are they don't get caught for their past.

I commend you for being proud to be Canadian, as I am. Seeing people manipulate this immigration process in which many people go through to get here to pay into our system, I find, is criminal, you know its illegal. I do get angry over it. You'll see- the criminals will get away, be absorbed by Canada only to re-emerge at a later date to cause havoc to our peaceful way of life. Even with CSIS, and the RCMP. To think that we could prevent it by not allowing it to happen in the first place, is something I think, we should do. An analogy would be locking the doors of your house to prevent a break-in.I think its smarter to lock the doors than to let the house get broken into. If it happens deal with it, but don't invite it. We have an established process.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
This is a ticklish situation.

My heart tells me to open all boarders and welcome all refugees.

Then my head tells me open boarders would not be beneficial and could be very bad.

As hard as it might be to do maybe we should let our head rule our actions concerning immigration.

When I was working in the medical mission field I died a little bit every time we had to leave and heard back home. I knew many would die unless others followed us to the counties and continued the mission.

Death and hunger are are evils that will be with us as long as we exist. That doesn't make it any easier to withhold help from the needy.

I do not yet know what is the answer to this question of allowing immigrants in our countries.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by gardCanada

Again we have our doors locked Anyone suspected of terrorism is watched rigorously. Our anti-terror is not like the states. This doesn't mean its not as good. Our methods are more silent, and try to avoid media coverage.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join