It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon: Undisclosed Wikileak documents 'potentially more explosive'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Pentagon: Undisclosed Wikileak documents 'potentially more explosive'

voices.washingtonpost.com

The records at issue contain material that is "potentially more explosive, more sensitive," Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell said, than the information in the 77,000 Afghanistan field reports and assessments WikiLeaks put online last month in an effort to shed light on the U.S. military's war in Afghanistan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Is this the first step to slowly reducing the oncoming impact of the remaining leaks? I think this is a clear strategy being employed here by the Pentagon, as they have no other option. It's better to address the problem and in a way, almost accept it, and then slowly build upon this instead of just being silent and baring the full force of the leak.

More explosive and more sensitive, is this in reference to the insurance file or just the remaining leaks?

These guys are shi****g themselves and I'm loving it.

Go Julian.

voices.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Oh yes, totally agree. Seems like they are on a harm minimisation strategy. Maybe the unreleased documents will be a continuation of what we have had already, with some more scandals and cover ups in amongst it?

Wikileaks might be holding the docs back because of the criticism they have had for not taking out informer names, they don't want to make that same mistake twice. They have to choose now whether to stand by what they have done and leave informer names in there, or admit they made a mistake and edit them out.

I'm all for the documents being released, but thy do need to protect people whose names are mentioned.

Probably the best thing the American government could do, would be to edit the names out of the documents and release them before Wikileaks does.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   

A WikiLeaks spokesman, Daniel Schmitt, told the Daily Beast blog last week that WikiLeaks would like the Pentagon to assist it in reviewing the 15,000 records to determine what material should be withheld to protect innocent civilians from harm.

This sounds a lot more responsible than just releasing the documents with all names included for the Taliban to get hold of.

And I think Assange has his hands on documents that are different to the insurance file. He's mentioned these unreleased documents in at least 2 interviews that he's done for Oz TV. And they apparently relate to Afghanistan from what he said.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

To the pentagon, "innocent civilians" are people like Haliburton and Blackwater.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
silly spokesman. if this had any real value to the pentagon, i assure you they will not let us know that it is substantial. add to that, a spokesman is telling you the value of the information, which says its a joke.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I agree with EnlightenUp completely.
It's not the names of the in-country informants that the Pentagon calls "explosive" - collateral damage and casualty counts are the typical stuff dealt with by the Pentagon in war time.
The explosive stuff is who in government authorized what to be carried out by whom (ie which contractor or agency).

This looks like either expectation management, disinformation or another run-up to more censorship and information regulation on the internet.

gj

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
They kill innocent civilians anyway.

sl

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Virtually the same as this August 5 thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Wikileaks have not got enough funds to edit these as they would like too.

They have asked the Pentagon for help.

They Pentagon have refused.

Wikileaks have said they do not know what to do now.

They are at a crossroads.

top topics

join