It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insurance Policies (strange but true)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

About a month ago, I decided to purchase a used 2003 Yamaha Zuma 49cc two-stroke scooter for in-town travel.

It's awesome, I love it, and I now longer have to walk six miles in the summer heat for a cup of coffee at the cafe.

So, even though my state doesn't require insurance for two-stroke engines, I decided to get a policy anyway.

Shopped around, and landed with a fairly popular company.

I was impressed with the quality and courtesy of the agents I spoke with over the phone ( and of course that little gekko has always been endearing and the cavemen - somewhat amusing... ) and the price they quoted was affordable to my rather tight budget.

But I digress...

Long story short:

Ended up getting the full package - comprehesive, theft, uninsured, underinsured, body injury, liability - the works. Not a bad deal for $288 a year...I was totally stoked!.

But this isn't a sales pitch.
This is serious.

Recieved the policy package in the mail today and was just browsing through it a few minutes ago when on page 23 ( there's that number again...!!!!
) I encountered the following:

EXCLUSIONS

We will not pay for:

3. Loss due to radioactive contamination.

4. Loss due to discharge of any nuclear weapon (even if accidental), war (declared or undeclared), civil war, insurrection, rebellion or revolution, or any consequence of any of these.

Wait, WUT?

Proof in the pudding!

I'm floored...I'm speechless...and I'm a bit hurt that all my "favorite recreational past-times" aren't covered by my new policy!

I mean, golly gee - not even a little insurrection? Sheesh!

This is so unfair...but at least I know where they stand on this issue.

Drat drat and double drat! Foiled again!

Is there additional coverage I overlooked???

Or should I just take up scrapbooking....?

*edit - to please the Grammar Gods.

[edit on 8/12/10 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Possible theme song you can scream through a megaphone at people as you pass by.

Don't forget your Helm of Wordsmithing +23(there's that dam number again)

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I use to work in insurance and can tell you that this is standard wording in EVERY policy across the country....likely around the world. It's called an uninsurable peril (or cause of loss). You see, in the event of such an incident, the cost to indemnify all insureds would bankrupt the insurance company. This is usually where federal disaster relief comes in to play.

You will notice that there are other non-covered perils on your policy as well.

ETA: From my insurance training Manuel (had to go digging for it):

Insurance was not designed to respond to community disasters, only to individual "disasters." Certain perils and hazards have the potential to result in wide-spread damage the industry is not structured to handle; nor is the consuming public willing to pay the additional premium to finance coverage for catastrophic losses in their policies.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
TUP -

I hae no idea what that was, but it was an interesting thing to wake up to first thing in the morning nonetheless.

reply to post by Aggie Man

Completely understood on the issue of large scale revolts and theoretical holocausts.

It would be damned near impossible to repair/replace property damaged in such scenarios.

I can't blame them for that. I don't blame them at all.

It's just amazing to me that they actually felt the need to include such provisions!

Lawyers.

______

*(update)*

Just got off the phone with customer service, slightly interesting.

"Say my vehicle happened to be parked outside of a Protest Zone and a riot broke out. ( rebellion/insurrection ), and a brick came flying from the melee and smashed one of my headlights...would my claim be denied on the basis of "rebellion/insurrection"?"

I was placed on hold while she consulted her superiors.

Rep: "No. You would not be covered under said circumstance."

I casually explained I was a military kid, loved my community deeply as well as my government and were I to be in said circumstances it was to be purely to help guide others to safety and document the occassion on film...was saddened I wouldn't be covered in such an instance, but understood and thanked her for her time, ready to hang up and let it be when:

Rep: "Can you hold for a moment please?

Me: "Not a problem. I understand it's a bit odd to inquire about such matters...."

( and yes, it's far more likely I'll find myself in the aforementioned situation as oppossed to hiking through the post-apocalyptic wasteland with the Toxic Avenger. )

The rep came back with good news:

Covered under Vandalism.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

Strange stuff indeed ...

Just wanted to note, because not many folks are aware of this, that one should be very cautious about calling their insurance company to inquire about coverages and damage to property.

They track everything through what they call the CLUE (Comprehensive Loss Underwriting Exchange) database and drop people just for inquiring. Something that everyone should know.

articles.moneycentral.msn.com...

Informing one's self (as you did) before events manifest is sound procedure.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

In the event of a riot, simply report it as vandalism under your comprehensive coverage. If asked what happened, simply say "I don't know". Believe me, they will cover it then...just don't mention the word riot.

ETA: never mind, I missed your caveat at the bottom of your post.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by Aggie Man]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

reply to post by Aggie Man

Thanks for the heads up, guys.

This is my first time dealing in insurance on this level (normally I just get the basics and forget about it).

I'm actually quite impressed with how patient they've been with me thus far...hopefully this level of service will continue come what may.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES
*edit - to please the Grammar Gods.

we are pleased...

But even though all of this stuff is included in your policy, if there was a nuclear explosion that destroyed your scooter, I would like to think that you would be more concerned with other things.............like not exploding/burning/going poof in the night and the like.

Ah insurance, a bitch to pay and a bitch if you need to use it (unless it happens on the second Tuesday of the month during a full moon when mars is aligned with venus, then it's easy)

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   
A riot can be as small as three people. They can claim almost anything as a riot.

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Oh wow. I thought 'WTH' as well, until Aggieman said something - For a minute there, I figured they were getting geared up for something, lol. And to what Schrodingers dog said, that is just plain messed up. C'est la vie. (sp?)

posted on Aug, 31 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Hi GeneralEyes (:

I know what you mean. I dealt with that once. It's called terrorism insurance. It means you'll get lots of cash if the CIA blows up your gear!

I used to be a controller for a metal plating shop. The company had to carry actual terrorist insurance according to the owner. It's mind boggling trying to understand how the hiveMIND sells insurance, and especially why we allow ourselves to be convinced that we can be required to have insurance. Energy works in mysterious ways ^_^

top topics

join