It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain bans 'offensive' anti-terror ad

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Britain bans 'offensive' anti-terror ad

www.news.com.au

BRITAIN'S advertising watchdog has banned an anti-terrorism commercial asking people to watch out for suspicious behaviour by their neighbours, including keeping curtains closed and paying for things in cash.

The Advertising Standards Authority says the radio ad could cause "serious offence" to law-abiding citizens.

The ad was part of a campaign for a police anti-terrorist hotline. It described a man who "likes to keep himself to himself," doesn't have a bank card and keeps his curtains closed
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
So here it is ATS, proof that TPTB don't always get what they want.

I'm sure most of you have seen the anti-terrorism ad that ran in the UK. If not, it basically said that if your neighbours keep their curtains closed or don't use credit cards then they're terrorists and you should report them to the government.

The ad has now been taken down by the UK advertising watchdog who noted that it could cause "serious offence" to the citizens who aren't breaking any laws.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I don't live in the UK but definitely a good thing for all! It's about time people start to get off of this "all terror all the time" bandwagon! S&F for your good find!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   
I keep my drapes closed because it saves money on air conditioning. (Insulated)

I pay with cash to avoid all of the extra fees and charges as well as interest.

I keep to myself because I am single and a social life isn't the biggest priority in my life.

Why haven't you reported me yet?

JAK

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I remember when I heard this advert for the first time. I was very surprised and wondered if I had understood it conrrectly. I thought perhaps it was an ad for a film or a topical reference (perhaps a joke) to a particular show. When I heard it again and realise it was serious I was stunned at the threatening and oppressive Orwellian menace conveyed (howevey subtly).

Here's a couple more links:

BBC - Anti-terrorist hotline ad banned for being 'offensive'

Guardian - ASA watchdog bans 'offensive' anti-terror hotline radio advert

Reuters - UK bans offensive Anti-Terrorist Hotline radio ads

"The man at the end of the street doesn't talk to his neighbors much, because he likes to keep himself to himself... He pays with cash because he doesn't have a bank card, and he keeps his curtains closed because his house is on a bus route. This may mean nothing but together could all add up to you having suspicions."

MP3 of the advert: met.police.uk

On a positive note though I'm sure the reason for a total of only 18 complaints was because the ad, as far as I am aware, was only played on *ahem* that particular station.

The net cast in this advert, one which covers a few people I know, does seem a tad wide. I can see how some might consider it quite ridiculous. That is if the intent was to capture terrorists rather than permeate a sense of fear and suspicion.

[edit on 11/8/10 by JAK]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I was just reading this on the BBC News website this morning, all I can say is thank [snip snip] for that, I would have been up a certain famous landmark without a certain wooden instrument! My curtains are always shut, usually because i'm too bone idle to open them, i don't have credit cards and I pay for take aways on the door step all the time!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
well if thats the case it looks like i may be sunning my self in guntanimo in the near future

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I am glad that craps been taken of the air...

Sowing distrust amoung the population and encouraging people to snitch on little tiny things like closed curtains is straight of the commie/nazi cookbook.

There was a time when we were all told how evil those commies are for having snitches in every house,making the people live in fear of the knock in the middle of the night.

How times have changed...

Trust the state butt kissers of the BBC to come up with such an advertisment.
Low lives.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I'm a bit confused by this, how come it's popped up again? I heard that this ad was being scrapped or banned months ago, either that or I had a very prophetic dream

I'm sure it mentioned something about having multpile mobile phones too, which, along with the paying with cash while not being sociable and having the curtains closed, describes a lot of people I know, including myself a few times during the year. (I don't always pay with only cash)

JAK

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I'm not sure that the BBC had anything to do with the ad:

ASA watchdog bans 'offensive' anti-terror hotline radio advert

The campaign by the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo), broadcast on the TalkSport radio station... The brief message, billed as "brought to you by TalkSport and the anti-terrorist hotline"

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Jak:
I think "talksport" is the sister channel to BBC Radio5Live,so its under the umbrella of the BBC.

Anyways,I'm off to buy 10 mobile phones with cash,then off for a nice afternoon nap with the curtains closed.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Cool. Creepy ad preying on fear and urging people to distrust and suspect each other and turn each other in. On the flip side, no one's screaming censorship or nanny state? I guess censorship is only bad if it relates to something we don't agree with.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Cool. Creepy ad preying on fear and urging people to distrust and suspect each other and turn each other in. On the flip side, no one's screaming censorship or nanny state? I guess censorship is only bad if it relates to something we don't agree with.
There's quite a difference between what some people don't agree with and blatant propaganda. What's the point you're trying to make there?

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by havenvideo

I was just thinking of a recent case here where someone wanted to run an ad that was blatant propaganda and lies and screamed censorship and was wondering if anyone screamed censorship is all. Lots of things are blatant propaganda. And you will note that I also agreed that it was a good thing crap like this was pulled off.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Damn i should expect a knock at my door then lol.

Why does leaving curtains shut make you guilty of a crime???? I keep mine shut because its bloody boiling outside and i dont like people looking in at my big tv, laptop etc lol

Cash will soon be withdrawn from societies as it doesnt work as well as the bankers thought. When its all digital we will all have serious problems....il use cash for as long as i can.

I hate our government...they are always trying to make people scared about one thing or another. They are abusing their power that we gave to them!!!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Crazy isn't it...
If we went by that advertisments advice most of the old folks in my village would be visited on account that most of them keep their curtains shut due to the insane price of heating fuels,and that they don't want the local hoodlums scoping out their rooms.

As for "using cash," how stupid is that...everyone uses cash from time to time.

On second thoughts its maybe not stupid at all,but more likely yet another insidious tactic employed by our loving social engineering powers to make us all distrust one another.

As the old saying goes "Divided We Fall."

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
I keep my drapes closed because it saves money on air conditioning. (Insulated)

I pay with cash to avoid all of the extra fees and charges as well as interest.

I keep to myself because I am single and a social life isn't the biggest priority in my life.

Why haven't you reported me yet?

Because there is a big difference between a loser and a terrorist.

I know there is a fine line between the two and on the interwebs its easy to think one might be the big swinging penis but in real life having zero friends and keeping ones drapes shut to hide there shame is completely different from being a creepy terrorist.

Just my opinion!!

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I'm all for freedom of speech but state sponsored lies and propaganda is taking it too far. As a terrorist and pedo suspect, I'm glad this got shot down. One small victory but the war is still on.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Dude they got you marked-how dare you have a camera on your avatar you're not some kind of photographer are you,heathen?
I bet you use cash as well you al queada trainee you...

and as for sassyncute...hell they may want to employ you Miss,on account of your uniform.
In fact you should be in our next anti terror advert,on TV.
(If that is you in the avatar)

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Yeah, might as well walk around the streets with AK-47 and C4. Same effect

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join