It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$1m for person who reduces population

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Woo-Hoo. Good thing I have people like you guys to assure that the destiny of every human until extinction is being a subsistence farmer.

[edit on 2010/8/11 by Aeons]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

I agree that the population needs to be controlled, this doesn't mean killing people of course, i would never support such a thing but using financial insentives to prevent people having children would be a start. This could easily be related to benefits by governments only offering benefits to the first two children a woman has for example.

Simple maths, there is only so much space on the Earth and therefore it can only support a finite population before our size causes collapse of the biosphere. When people who are against population control do the figures they often use utterly stupid examples about how the worlds population could fit into a state like Texas without considering how much land it takes to supply the needs of a first world person. They also don't take into account how much land needs to be left alone for wildlife, or even the simple stuff like freshwater. Oh sure we can desalinate ocean water but that raises other problems like pollution.

In time as more nations have increased standards of living the population may even out naturally. Some western nations are showing this as we see more couples only having one or two children.

Even so i think population control will be one of the biggest issues of either this century of the next.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by soleprobe

Originally posted by zerotime
How about more science, technology and space travel. There are probably billions of worlds just like Earth out there waiting for a colony.

There are quadrillions of relationships that must all occur at precisely the same time not wavering the smallest fraction of a nanosecond in order for one world "just like earth" to exist let alone billions.

What's your point? It is definitely a game of statistics but our solar system is one out of 100 billion star systems. Our galaxy is 1 out of 100 billion galaxies and those are simply what we can find looking outward from our own planet. Maybe it will break a lot of hearts at first but we are going to find out that Earth is enormously insignificant.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The planet can only hold so many. Some day, some way it probably be a valid concept to depopulate. Of course companys like Monsanto and other food control freaks more than likely have already begun to killing us slowly with their chemical laced food stuff. Hell, the tobacco companys do it all of the time

Spelling edit.

[edit on 8/11/2010 by mikelee]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
God forbid, The people of world simply just CHANGE~

No, why change? Just find a way to knock off billions of people,
and continue to live like ass____s.

There are more than enough resources for everyone on the Planet, (and then some)
If we werent such greedy retards (humans), we could create a world that can feed and house as many people as earth can hold.

But what the hell,
it is far easier to just wipe out half of the population instead.

Which then, we still wont change,
Everything will be the same as before half the population was gone.

So just let the population grow again,
and when it gets "too large"..
eh, screw it, just get rid of some more people.

There would be absolutely no need for 'depopulation' if we as a race would just remove our heads from our asses and CHANGE the way we 'live' and treat one another.

God this world is stupid.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by Ahmose]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
The best answer to over-population is to elevate poor, undeveloped nations to the same level of wealth then the rest of us.
All modern, western style countries have a very low population growth.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Give me the button. Ill press it.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Wanting to reduce population through the most humane manners is not the same as eugenics.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Give everyone who is not happy with the population size a single bullet, the gun is reusable...
Tell them to kill themselves for the benefit of everyone.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
My mother had a funny idea to reduce birth rates....

She said to stop giving women painkillers when they are giving birth, and have them do it naturally like the good ol' days. The pain of child birth will make them think twice about having multiple kids.
Kind of mean I think... but funny. My mother did it naturally, so she would know.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
How about we just cut immigration?

My suburb used to be full of friendly Aussies, now all the shops are run by Asian or Indian families who keep to themselves and only employ their own. Most of them look at us like we're pieces of #, I would even go as far as saying I feel like a minority in my own suburb.

I'm all for tourism, but seriously we're letting too many people move here when their countries aren't that bad.

Not a racist call, if my suburb was being taken over by Brits, Americans or worst case scenario the Irish (jokes jokes) I'd still be complaining. Too much of one thing is never good.

Indian students coming here for study purposes are well aware of the loopholes in the system allowing them to stay here.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

This is really the way we need to be. I think its an idea...feeling that most people feel in the gut if they really open themselves up to it.

If we do not go in this direction we will one day become extinct.

The way to do this would be technology. Free zero point energy and our footprint would become natural again. The energy industry is keeping us from this.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12
Yeah because looking ahead 220 years is always very predictable. We'll probably have no technology that will make growing food easier.

We have technology to make the growth of food easier now. Hydroponics would allow you to grow food anywhere, and with higher yields.

And the idea that we don't/can't produce enough food to feed everyone alive today is false, we can do it, we have the resources and the labour, we just don't have the money to pay for it all.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by soleprobe

So is it your belief that there could not be a population problem ever? (We can continue to grow our population infinitely)

Or are you just saying that because we arent living on every single square foot of habitable land yet it isnt a problem now?

Of course that is not what he is saying. What he is trying to point out is this big concern about overpopulation right now is being overblown because of scarcity and inequality. Incidentally this is being imposed upon us through the use of debt based money.

We have the ingenuity, resources and labour to solve our food problems and raise the living standards for everyone everywhere, but we are constrained by money as there is no profit in providing a comfortable lifestyle for everyone.

In the future, when education truly means learning, people will take responsibility for their reproductive futures and impacts. It won't have to be legislated, indeed it is difficult to legislate human behaviour. People have to want to change and given enough education they will chose on their own to curtail their own behaviour.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

$1m for person who reduces population

news.smh.com.au

The Wilberforce Award, and the $1 million prize, will go to a young Australian under 30 who can impress Mr Smith by coming up with alternatives to "our population and consumption growth-obsessed economy".
(visit the link for the full news article)

I'm not from Australia, but I think the best choice in lowering world population would be to (1) educate people to NOT have more children than they know they can raise and educate; (2) provide birth control to EVERY country without exception; (3) teach MEN to stop raping women and then leaving them in the dust... This, along with abortion upon demand, would go a long, long way to salvage a sustainable population. Also, we need to FORCE the religious factions to "Butt-out" of matters in which they have no viable purpose, except to tell men they are more important than women, & to allow women to understand that their bodies are theirs to do with what they deem appropriate.

We, the human race, are the ONLY IDIOTS on this planet who can't recognize that procreation is related to what we can get to eat, afford to raise, and make the next generation better than the one we are in.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Do nothing.

Let mother nature handle it. She's got this one.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
with all bloodline dictatorships gone and get of rid of banker, realtors and introduce the Venus Project, run by citiznes,

The Venus Project is a UN think tank scam founded by bankers... I notice you use their same tactics by taking one of their victims and using this victim to re-divert the energy of those with good hearts towards a black hole.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
Reducing the population on Earth is not a bad thing, and should not be made out to be ... we have been spreading like a virus. It's time to add some penicillin.

Penicillin would not do anything unless we were spreading "like a bacterial infection." Just sayin'.

I agree though. Too many people. And less people means more room for me on the road. I'm really sick of traffic.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Overpopulation is bullocks. The population growth rate has been slowing since the '80s. It's not going to get much more crowded than it already is, especially with India and China modernizing and such.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by 19872012]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I'll gladly do it! I know a big herd of useless eating # heads that the world could do without.. Ive just been to canary wharf in London!

Seriously though.. this is stupid. Theve already been incrementally reducing our population through oestrogen in the sewer system. I guess all the techniques they are using are not good enough, they now need to pay people to do it!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join