It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New 'superbug' found in UK hospitals

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by UnderstandingWisdom

My first post was based on the OP, as it always is.

Sorry to sound rude, but Chanel four news and a UK TV guide is still I no way a reliable source for this type of information, they are even less reliable in fact as the OP’s sources. I don’t a search through a number of academic reference databases and found only one sources that was worthwhile regarding NDM-1 bacteria, it came from India and was talking about some obscure treatment possibility.

Sorry to tell you but this is just more media hype.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

Originally posted by UnderstandingWisdom
So far this Superbug has been found in U.K, India, Pakistan, Massachusetts, California and Illinois. there has also been at least two cases in Canada
Source:
Medindia.net

What about this for a source that I posted on page 3...not reliable? Or any of the other sources that have been posted.

Channel 4 News less reliable then a daily tabloid newspaper...I think not. As for the T.V Guide link that was just a source about a related docudrama, it wasn't meant to be used as evidence.

You should really skim all of the posts in every thread, if only to see if your repeating what anyone else has said. Another reason to skim all posts is to see if there is any new information/sources added. Reading only the OP then making a comment is abit naive to this or any topic.

I do agree with you that this is media hype...but like it or not people have and will die from this
edit on 31/10/10 by UnderstandingWisdom because: More Details

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by UnderstandingWisdom

Oh sure people will die of it, but it is by no means a “pandemic” and the source you just quoted I suspect is clearly based on the article I was talking about. By reliable sources I was just pointing out that if I were to write a academic essay about microbiology and Infection control, as I am about to, I would never use any of the sources you have quoted (the last one is trying to sell products and is not well referenced).

I have noticed the only reason you are bothering with this is because you are trying to get you 20 posts. That’s all very well but people will judge you based on the substance of your posts, not the quantity. That said I understand the desire to reach 20 posts, but arguing for the sake of getting them is really not very wise.

Your are telling me how to interpret threads, how to read them and so on I have been about hear longer than you. The reason I only read the OP during my first post is to avoid being influenced by the other posts I do it with every thread with experience you will learn that can be very useful.

Welcome to ATS.

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

Originally posted by kevinunknown
Oh sure people will die of it, but it is by no means a “pandemic”

If you are refering to this comment that I made then...

Originally posted by UnderstandingWisdom
Please read from page 2 to get a better understanding of this soon to be...pandemic (cue scary music).

...You obviously missed the "cue scary music" remark or didn't understand it was meant to be taken as a *tongue in cheek* remark.

By reliable sources I was just pointing out that if I were to write a academic essay about microbiology and Infection control, as I am about to, I would never use any of the sources you have quoted

This isn't an academic essay this is a thread updating people on the NDM-1 virus found in UK hospitals. Yes I agree that most sources used/quoted on this site are not scientific...but that is not the point. It's the message that is important not the particulars.

(I'm generalising here, not just about this thread). Too many people judge or try to de-bunk others just because they have done something in there career that is questionable...this is why important information doesn't reach the masses. it's the information that should get the limelight not the messenger/sources.

I have noticed the only reason you are bothering with this is because you are trying to get you 20 posts

I didn't keep this thread going just to get to 20 posts, my intentions have always been about the information not about me.

people will judge you based on the substance of your posts

I'm hoping that is how I'm judged and only how I'm judged, but hey no-ones perfect right.

Your are telling me how to interpret threads, how to read them and so on I have been about hear longer than you

My dad's bigger than your dad...seriously your using that in your comments. I don't think you know how long I've been here...I could have moved house, got a new IP and created a new account. Hmm now theres a thought.

The reason I only read the OP during my first post is to avoid being influenced by the other posts I do it with every thread with experience you will learn that can be very useful.

Thats like reading the first and last chapter of a book and claiming to have read/understood it. I understand certain comments can influence people but you are the filter, your the one who is supposed to be smart enough to only absorb the relevant information and to filter out the rest.

Welcome to ATS

I thankyou for your warm and friendly welcome...but hey can't we just call it a truce, your not helping this site, I've been here 3 DAYS and this feels like alittle... (I've re-read the threads and can't understand how I personally upset you other than not having an acclaimed medical source)

It's only by working together that we can all benefit, not by arguing the details, they do say "the devils in the details"

Checkout my sig to get a better understanding of me and the way I tick...If you want you could also visit my introductions page

edit on 31/10/10 by UnderstandingWisdom because: More Details

posted on Oct, 31 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Few more places to add to the list, I'm not trying to scare-monger I'm only updating the information to get a better overall picture of this 'Event'...don't shoot the messenger please.

China's health authorities announced the country's first three cases of NDM-1, a multi-drug resistant super bacteria. Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention (China CDC) official Ni Daxin said at a press conference that two cases were detected from samples submitted by the local CDC in the northwestern Ningxia Hui Autonomous Region and one from the southeastern Fujian Province.

Source:
China reports first cases of NDM-1 super bacteria infection

I might aswell start a list of confirmed NDM-1 cases (if only for people to check if their country has had a case yet)...so far we have:

U.K
India
Pakistan
U.S.A
Canada
Sinapore
Brazil
China
Netherlands
Australia
Sweden

If anyone can add any more sources or information regarding new cases it would be much appreciated

posted on Nov, 15 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Apologies for neglecting my own thread!

The interesting thing for me about NDM-1 is that it ISN'T a superbug in itself, but a GENE that can be carried by bacteria that makes them antibiotic resistant.

In UnderstandingWisdoms' post above he links to a chinese source, but like almost all the sources I've found that discuss NDM-1 it's described as a "superbug", with no further information on the specific bacteria that's apparently acquired the gene. All the media sources here either seem unreliable, misinformed or just plain misleading, and I'm not quite sure what to make of that to be honest.

Presumably the bacteria that have acquired the gene so far have been relatively benign, which has allowed natural immune response to kill the bacteria before it killed the hosts - that's why deaths of 'NDM-1 superbugs' has so far been low or non-existant. If it gets into something deadly and virulent tho........ hmmm.

I can imagine NDM-1 getting increased media coverage in the coming months and years. It's also getting more attention from TPTB... the UK Health Protection Agency produced a briefing paper on it, which you can download here (PDF).

The paper looks at the emergence of antimicrobial resistance in the Indian subcontinent, notably the emergence of resistance to one of our major groups of antibiotics, the carbapenems. This emergence of carbapenem resistance in bacteria that are already resistant to many other antibiotics is a major public health concern; carbapenems are often our last effective line of defence against multi-resistant strains of bacteria like Klebsiella pneumoniae and Escherichia coli. If the bacteria become resistant even to carbapenems it makes treatment of these infections much more difficult.

The conspiracy theorist in me pricked up his ears when he read this bit...

Awareness needs to be raised on an international level, to improve monitoring and surveillance of emerging patterns of resistance, ensure appropriate infection control measures are in place, encourage appropriate regulation of antibiotic use, and help prevent further spread of this resistance.

If you buy into the "NWO single world government" idea then you could argue that a mass outbreak of a very rapidly spreading and deadly NDM-1 equipped bacteria could be the ideal 'front' to establish a worldwide health framework, in much the same way that the financial crisis brought about the Financial Stability Board (I'm making a thread about those guys which is coming soon.)
edit on 15-11-2010 by eightfold because: adding more words.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join