It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New 'superbug' found in UK hospitals

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
This is really big. We need to stop being sheep anymore and start to grow some determination to save our children and this world and make it a safe place for all of us.
Are we going to just let everything slide over and over while they murder people. When on earth is everyone going to yell no and stop them?

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
I'm in and out of Hospitals on a daily basis because of my work and I tend to be in Gastrointestinal areas (lots of bugs there) adn Radiology (not so many there).
Usually my biggest concern is the surfaces in the main General PUBLIC parts of the hospital because I notice that peoples hygiene is appauling.....

There are now lots of alcohol gel dispensers around and so it is the very least you can do to use these. The best defence though is to maintain your own personnal hygiene continuiously throughout the day.....

One sobering thought I'll leave you with is this.......

I was in a procedure and doing some training and a patient with Hep C and TB came in.. for a normal diagnostic procedure ( a check up basically).
Being a patient with these medical conditions then it is normal for the clinical staff to 'gown up' and use face masks and visors for the fear of airbourne droplets getting carried to others in the room.

The Procedure was fine etc etc next patient......... At lunch time I was speaking to a colleague and having a cup of coffee before leaving and looked behind me to see the very same patient in the Public area, coughing and interacting with friends/ family and the general public.... Made me think that you just do not know do you, who has what or what condition there in......

You can only take responsibility for YOURSELF !!!!

On the subject of this new bug, it is a little worrying when you realize it has become resistant to our current strongest antibiotic. I know there are synthetic antibiotics being developed but the bottom line is that sooner or later in human existence we WILL be caught out by a bacteria, virus or something else..... it's called Evolution !!

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Originally posted by [davinci]

(Same topic, multiple threads)

This is something that I discuss regularly with my mother, a life long nurse. One of the things that she points out is that there was actually a few scientists in the 70's/80's who warned about the over-use of not just antibiotics but also antibacterials as well.

It is well known for a long time that both of these things will kill 90ish % of the target, however the remaining 10ish % will be naturally immune. Over time evolution takes it's course at a greatly accelerated pace resulting in only those organisms that are immune.

If you really want to tweak your brain, maybe that is a conspiracy in itself...People's fear of germs helps to create germs we should fear.

Although I don't watch alot of TV anymore, there is a commercial running now from J&J about a hands free soap dispenser. I don't know whether to laugh or shake my head when I see it: The entire premise is that it will automatically dispense a measure of soap without being touched, thereby saving the user from coming in contact with potentially harmful bacteria.

What makes me laugh is that it is an Anti-bacteria Soap.

"Buy this, you won't get germs on your hands IMMEDIATELY before using an anti-germ product to clean your dirty hands".

Redundant or insane?

[edit on 12-8-2010 by [davinci]]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
There are multiple threads springing up on this, but I'm going to post this here too anyway...

I've been doing more research.....

NDM-1 isnt a bacteria or a "superbug", it's a gene that produces an enzyme that gives it's host bacteria resistance to all known antibiotics. It's only been found in e.coli and a form of pneumonia so far, but the concern is that it'll transfer into something that's readily human-to-human transmissible through a process called horizontal gene transfer, which is a very common method of gene transfer in single celled organisms.

So far there have only been 50 cases in the UK in the last 18 months (so far as I can gather from MSM sources) with no deaths. 2 deaths last year were "linked" to it, but I've not been able to find any info on them other than a Daily Mail article from August 2009, and The Daily Mail isn't a credible source in my opinion, as stated in the OP.

from NDM-1 Wiki

New Delhi metallo-beta-lactamase (NDM-1)[1] is a gene that makes bacteria resistant to antibiotics of the carbapenem family. It encodes a type of beta-lactamase enzyme called a carbapenemase. Bacteria that carry this gene are often referred to by news reporters as "superbugs."[2] There are currently no new drugs in the research pipelines that aim to stop NDM-1.[3] To date, some strains of E.coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae are known carriers of the gene, but the gene can be transmitted from one strain of bacteria to another through horizontal gene transfer.

from Horizontal Gene Transfer Wiki

Horizontal gene transfer (HGT), also Lateral gene transfer (LGT), is any process in which an organism incorporates genetic material from another organism without being the offspring of that organism. By contrast, vertical transfer occurs when an organism receives genetic material from its ancestor, e.g., its parent or a species from which it has evolved.

Most thinking in genetics has focused upon vertical transfer, but there is a growing awareness that horizontal gene transfer is a highly significant phenomenon and amongst single-celled organisms perhaps the dominant form of genetic transfer.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by eightfold

eightfold
Thankyou for this information, it was very informative and interesting.. It adds a new dimension I think to the potential of this problem in the wider community..

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Although there have only been about 50 cases identified in the UK so far, scientists fear it will go global.

.....fear it will go global?

Just like H1N1? Just like every other major killer disease out there that was supposed to, long ago, turn my vital organs into liquid feces?

Yeah....the term "scientist" is used too losely these days. It can literally mean anything from one incredibly smart person who dedicates their lives to the advancement of mankind....

to a nerdy douchebag who spent his youth playing video games and suddenly thinks he knows everything, so he packs up to go join a politcial party in hopes of sharing his wealth so he'll one day be looking at a virus that he doesn't understand, at all, and tells everyone "this thing is going global!"

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

Snarf

It's NOT A VIRUS........... it is not swine flu and all the stuff that went with that....

I understand your dis-illusionment that went with Swine flu, vaccines and Pharma making money out of it !!! btu this is another type of bug....

As A SPECIES we have to be vigilant to the prospect of being overtaken in evolutionary terms by a bug/bacteria/gene ? like this..

regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

okay, virus, bug, hell.....it's the damned descolada for all I know.

What I do know is that 50 cases in one small part of the world is hardly evidence to say "THIS IS GOING GLOBAL!"

It's a grotesque over-reaction from someone who claims to devote their lives to science.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Does it resists to silver ?

eh !

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

If it was the Ebola virus I bet your song would change.

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
There are a lot of articles around describing us entering a post anti biotic era, which is a pretty scary thought.

I would have thought by now that people would have got the message that they shouldn't go running to a doctor for antibiotics every time they get a sore throat or an ear infection, and the fact that doctors still seem to prescribe them like they are sweet is just shameful.

I try to take them as little as possible, only twice in my life that I can remember, and try to let my immune system do the work but that won't help me if I contract one of these bugs

Last year I fought a strange illness in my chest and I refused to take antibiotic's and woke up one early morning choking on my own flem and my throat had blocked up and I couldn't breath and started to go under slowly then blacked out, heard a little voice inside "Don't give up, your not alone" and then I awoke and struggled to breath. It was excruitating, heck that painful I chose not to remember though that being said I hardly come down with illnesses.

The strange thing is this cracked off last christmas in 2009 around new year's eve and two weeks building to the new year. Our whole town which we have a population in the 100,000's most of us come down with a harsh cough and straight away nurses and staff called it swine flu. Yet my mother and sister took vaccines and I told them not too but they didn't listen and had Tamiflu tablets and within 48 hours they got really ill and couldn't get out of bed whereas me I was strong and full of energy until the last two days of the year where I nearly died and started choking because all my glands were blocked.

Then this year the Sunday just gone I was eating chinese and thought maybe I got an allergic reaction to the food because I found a large lump in my throat and was thinking the worst what if its Cancer or Blood poisioning and all the rest.

I have got poison in my throat gland and it's a viral infection, how it got there I don't know, I've not been near anybody, all I remember is when I went out for a pint of beer at the local pub the glass was really dirty and I didn't discover this until I got half way through my pint which it was too late then. I thought, sh*t! Then the day's progressed and I started with a sore throat, didn't think anything of it, it'll just blow-over.

Then the lump started and then the pain in my neck which I can't turn my head left properly because the pain is excruitating. It's like somebody shoving a knife through your skin, a warm blade not cold!

Then the doctor said he doesn't know what it is, not to worry, many people can contract 100's of these illnesses virally. Great. Not! That's all I need and then a friend of mine posted me a sourceful link from her source which works for the 'Defense' and she left it at that. Because my friend told me she was asked if she felt well/okay and my friend said she only clicked when she was asked this, after their long conversation about her role in 'Defense' this is something man-made again but more potent than Swine Flu and is not a fear-mongering tactic. This is the real-deal because Swine flu and many other pandemic's were deliberatly used to confuse people and make them loose their trust in the government.

I was told from my friend and source that this will be the real-deal and will be global. All my worries are is shifting this poison - blood poisoning in my neck and if the blinking anti-biotic's fail then if I can afford it it'll take Hemp oil/seed. I would already take that now if I could afford to.

[edit on 12-8-2010 by DClairvoyant]

posted on Aug, 12 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by Snarf

If it was the Ebola virus I bet your song would change.

you're right.

only saying what you said is just monday-morning quarterbacking a situation.

1 in a million over reactions ever come to fruition.

The other 999,999 times someone goes off at the hinges, its best to just ignore them.

im comfortable with those odds...i play lottery

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by DClairvoyant

DClairvoyant

Interesting story and because of my work with patients who get throat cancers and associated illness, I can completely sympathize with your initial fears..... it is not a nice 'thought' let alone getting the real deal !!

Just a thought for you - in another thread I got involved in a conversation about live blood analysis........ without all the detail I have been through it and actually use it as part of my own 'personal health check'.... I have found that Obviously we all know Echanacea (? spelling) is a good anti viral BUT i also take on a regular basis 'Allicin' which is supplied in the UK by Boots Pharmacy. IT is basically the most purest and refined Galrlic which is as good as eating a clove but without the after effects !!

You also have to take RESPONSIBILITY for yourselve in todays world...... your 'pint glass' experience should focus you to more of the interactions which can lead to any form of tranferance of stuff...

My friend SNARF also raises a good point in NOT GETTING TO WORRIED because figures are low currently............... He is right. He also plays the Lottery and 'HOPES' to win his fortune !!!

There's HOPE and there's RESPONSIBILITY.... I choose the later personnally as I have done when it comes to my wealth as well.......

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Well, if we were all to be super-conspiracists then we could argue that this is infact another attempt at race specific virus'. now i havnt heard of this in any other country. has anyone else?? im British by the way.

a bit like SARS, a bit like MRSA, all pretty nasty but only stayed in the one area... strange? i think its yet another test before depopulation projects come into action. i do believe its going to happen but im sceptic at how succesful a 'race specific' virus would be. ESPECIALLY in modern society, as in races being tainted by races mixed races giving birth to more mixed races.. i mean you could technically set it on an indigeonous race such as the chinese, or the russians? hmm i still need to think more. but if this is anybody elses view please speak up. im interested to hear what you have to say.

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
uh-oh not again

I realy hope this is blown out of proportion! Now that that I think about it a little it would be kinda hard for a bacteria to go global unless it went airborn correct? very easy to prevent exposure...

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I don't know if it's been posted before but it looks like the first person has died from this in Belgium

Article

posted on Aug, 13 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
After reading Dave Spanners post it has got me thinking ..... Gene specific weaponry ....

I remember reading as a younger man that a holy grail of bio weaponry would be the ability to release a 'product' into the general populace and let it spread but it would only harm those whom it ''targeted'' by recognition of genes within a person...

I'm not suggesting that this NDM is bio-genetically engineered but it sounds to me possibly to be an interesting new development in our battle with small organisms, bugs, viruses et al...

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
This story is not going away any time soon. I had heard of this NDM-1 virus only yesterday (on British news). This virus has now infected UK hospitals as well as other parts of the world.

Efforts to contain a new strain of superbug threatening the NHS and other health authorities around the world may almost be unachievable, exclusive research by Channel 4 News reveals.

Evidence that the superbug is present outside hospitals means that efforts to contain it may fail.

Only two antibiotics can kill NDM-1 bacteria. One is toxic so doctors only use it in extreme cases. The other cannot be used to treat urinary tract infections – one of the most common infections caused by E.coli and therefore useless against this type of NDM-1 infection.

Very scary indeed.

Source:
www.channel4.com

As soon as I had seen this on the news, there was an advertisment for a program to air that night on channel 5 at 9:00pm called Life After Armageddon.

Five presents a one-off docudrama presenting a vision of a world left devastated by a deadly flu pandemic. The film imagines the plight of one ordinary suburban family, who are forced to fight for survival in the post-apocalyptic landscape. With only a few human beings left in the world, the docudrama explores not only the family's battle to deal with the lack of physical provisions, but also the lack of human interaction.

Source:
UK-TV-Guide.com

Anyone else find this alittle strange that the news of this NDM-1 virus hits our news channels then followed up with a one-off docudrama on how to survive an uncurable pandemic?
edit on 29/10/10 by UnderstandingWisdom because: mistakes

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Not long after this announcement expect to hear that they are working on a vaccine for it and will soon be available at your closest walmart.

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I know that it was in India and I think Thailand as well. Mutating genetic structure is not pretty. Looks like everyone should start stocking up on Vitamin C,Colloidal Silver,Garlic,Ginger,Turmeric,Oregano Oil,Reishi Mushroom, and Manuka Honey.... Part of my * the CDC collection.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join