It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

another scam at facebook

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
apps.facebook.com...
in facebook there is a new app called being-watched
now we all expect to get information on everyone who visit our profile after installing right?
WROOOOONG
it wants you to register on theyr site,to paste the direct url to theyr page,and it the end IT DOSNT SHOW YOU ANYONE WHO LOOKS YOUR PAGE,it shows ONLY OTHERS WHO HAVE INSTALLED IT AND VISITED YOUR PAGE. so if i dont install it i can stalk people all i want and they wont know.
this is getting really retarded,its like the biggest scam site on earth. its like having a virtual computer and instaling trial spyware on it all the time
they should burn in hell for this!

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I noticed face-recognition boxes showing up recently too.
Randomly. I've not installed any apps. If you click on the
box it will take you to a picture of someone you know or
of yourself if it's your face submitted. Freaky. I've since
removed all pictures that show my face and left just the
scenery shots.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
this is so easy to do -_- when they have access to all your info afcourse they can show you some picture you have been tagged in,or some friends picutre,its just retarded.
and why do they always need ALL YOUR INFO ACCESS?
its just..its just....like they think were sheep and they laught at us.
i should make all friends move to msn and put down facebook forever
this is disgusting

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I try telling people that there is no way to actually record who visits your FB through FB API.

I even saw one that supposedly posts who looks at your profile the most everyday, but it was obviously selecting random from your friend's list.

It reminds me of those chain emails about [enter ISP like AOL] and Microsoft are somehow monitoring your email flow and that they'll give you money or gift certificates if you forward it on.

Oh well.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Data-mining is the gold rush of the last and probably the coming decade. It's easy to let hyperbole take hold and to find all kinds of ways to be suspicious. But, really, there is more info about me on my drivers license than there is about me on any social networking site... and the government already has all of that information.

*edited to fix grammatical travesty*

[edit on 8/10/10 by Hefficide]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Actually, I agree with that. People are quite sidetracked with social networking sites, but don't think about or know how much information is compiled by the big 3 credit bureaus.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
the thing is everyday you post comments,and join groups and pages you like,they know your interests,they know what you are attending,your single status,what are you doing now,what is your new mania,they know everything as much as you post,and it will be no surprise if they sell the info to advertisers.
but isnt facebook owners supposed to ban and close such FAULTY FAKE apps?

well i spited in theyr face,before....playing pet society,got some miracolous lucky way to hack it,became rich in the game,got bored..left.
they actualy wanted real money there too,to buy some items,talk to the hack...suckers

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fresh Air
Actually, I agree with that. People are quite sidetracked with social networking sites, but don't think about or know how much information is compiled by the big 3 credit bureaus.

An interesting website to check to see how "present" your information is on the web, is www.spokeo.com

Can put in someones name (yours included), and find out what info is out there about you.

I'm not found on anything, but after searching out some of my friends and family members, it's suprising how much of their info is out there on the web. Number of kids, how much they make, where they live, phone numbers, on and on. Up to and including things you are most interested in and involved with.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
While i will not go into all of the reasons why i dislike what facebook (FB) has become, i suggest that you:

1) not install a bunch of stupid apps anyway. It's a marketing ploy to a) get your info, and b) to keep you involved in the FB world
2) check your privacy setting. While FB will mine your data (that you make available) no matter what, if you pay attention to your settings, don't use and subscribe to a bunch of stupid apps that do nothing but waste your time anyway, then you have less to worry about. (why are you so concerned about who visits your page anyway?? I use mine to connect with old friends, not randomly connect with a bunch of people i know nothing about. Why would you want to FB stalk anyone anyway?) Settings also allow your data to be accessed through your friends, which is kinda sleazy.
3) only connect with people you know; do not just start using apps and friending people; FB is not an amusement park, as much as it might like you to think it is.

4) Finally: CHECK YOUR PRIVACY SETTING, especially apps and third party sites.

PS: the whole "see who visits your profile" things is not new. It has been around awhile, it was a scam then, and it's a scam now, and it's like a chain letter that people keep passing off. It's BS. Why should you even care who visits your profile? Just check your settings and use FB to connect with people you know.

It's not a conspiracy it's just....stupid. marketing. taking advantage of people to access info (to make money) and to cater to voyeuristic human nature.

Edit to add: the theory that FB was set up as a CIA data mining project aside, i'm more concerned with Google. Google freakin' scares me, what with what it knows and suggests i should be interested in/search for/buy/read/etc, and the way it specifically targets ads worse than FB ever thought about.

[edit on 10-8-2010 by Liquesence]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
strange that it worked in myspace,to see who sees your page,but not for me really,i never really cared that much to monitor who visits my page.
but some arrogant emo chicks would love that feature.
so they can see if you visit theyr page and go all "omg you pathetic stalker,i just want to be friends!"
personaly i make my profile as private as possible without adds but its stll annoyng.
and yes google must be stopped right now

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stillalive
strange that it worked in myspace,to see who sees your page,but not for me really,i never really cared that much to monitor who visits my page.
but some arrogant emo chicks would love that feature.
so they can see if you visit theyr page and go all "omg you pathetic stalker,i just want to be friends!"
personaly i make my profile as private as possible without adds but its stll annoyng.
and yes google must be stopped right now

How do you know it "worked" in Myspace? You rely on what it says?
Do you believe what the "results" say, when the results are tallied to make you believe they say (it's like those apps that say "which of your friends have a crush on you)? I knew someone who used one of those "who visits your profile" apps, and the results were that i was one of the top visitors. Turns out, i RARELY visited said profile; therefore, the app itself randomly selects people from your friends to say that they frequently visit your profile, in order to make you think that it works.

It's BS, period. And people fall for it.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

there is more info about me on my drivers license than there is about me on any social networking site... and the government already has all of that information.

Government have access to everything about us and frankly i don't see what we can do about it and its done to be like that.

Government are SCARED to DEATH by free information, information is power, you control information you control everything. Internet is the last media they don't have total control of, so its just logical that they want to correct that issue.

In my though biggest problem is private information can be accessed by everybody with a minimal computer knowledge, or not, type : "hacking facebook how to" in google or worst : "allinurl: cgi-bin password" and have fun with the huge database of open password list you will find ! Hacking a wireless router, i do it in less than 5 minutes, pirating your windows passwords ? 3 mins. , finding your IP, country and coordinates within 10 km sq. so easy ! gathering your home adress, phone number etc... a baby can do it. This is just few BASIC exemples, there is BILLIONS of of way to get sensitive data over internet, BILLIONS of How-To, guides etc... for about everything and no need to be a geek just RTFM.

I am a senior computer tech ( doing this for 15 years ) and im very concerned about this issue.

This is irresponsible to GIVE so much of your personnal information on the net, the internet is NOT secure.

In the very beginning the internet was NOT MADE TO BE SECURE.

ARPANET (Advanced Research Projects Agency Network), created by a small research team at the head of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) of the United States Department of Defense, was the world's first operational packet switching network, and the predecessor of the contemporary global Internet. The packet switching of the ARPANET was based on designs by Lawrence Roberts, of the Lincoln Laboratory.[1]

Packet switching, now the dominant basis for data communications worldwide, then was a new and important concept. Data communications had been based upon the idea of circuit switching, as in the old, typical telephone circuit, wherein a dedicated circuit is occupied for the duration of the telephone call, and communication is possible only with the single party at the far end of the circuit.

In plain language : The modern internet is based on technology createdd in the 60' ! , they got an old technology and just patched it like your preferred videogame.

The first message transmitted over the ARPANET was sent by UCLA student programmer Charley Kline, at 10:30 p.m, on October 29, 1969.

[edit on 10/8/2010 by B3lz3buth]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by B3lz3buth

I guess the major factor, at least in my case, is that I make it a habit to not put anything out into cyberspace that I would think of as compromising. My personal yardstick for that is, basically, sticking with the age old a/s/l kind of info.

The only thing that I see in any of my profiles anywhere that might be a mistake is that I have pictures of myself drinking beer - as recently there have been some issues with employers using this kind of thing as grounds for discipline/dismissal.

I do agree with the notion that the 'Net makes accessing some public information too simple - and that data-mining can be used for nefarious purposes. On the other hand I've been a constant fixture on the Internet since around '90 and have (knock on wood) never had any sort of identity theft issues. I've had to change passwords a few times, had a Myspace profile jacked, and had a bitter ex post some hillarious and embarrasing personal ads to my email. But, all in all, small hassles.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
or
you could simply stop using facecrook and every other garbage site like it.
Pretty easy.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I belong to FB only because my family out of state gathers there. I really dislike the site and never load apps or anything there. Ick for FB!

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Thats because you have good habits and do so much more to protect your information than majority of people do.

Like i said im a IT tech and i have numerous exemples of how people are missinformed about the risks and how to protect themself.

A true example :

Ive been called at 1 of my customer for a virus / spywares issues on his computer. I barely never seen so much crap in a computer, if it was a human being i would have shot a bullet right on his face for mercy. So he ask me how much time it will take to fix it ( i said 1 hour or so, maybe more if i have to reinstall windows ) then the guy tells me that before i start he have to make online transactions on his bank account !

Can you beleive it !

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I guess I'll mention that data that I feel that I need to store electronically, I use KeePass, which is Open Source, but uses encryption and will generate passwords for you and the like. There's also a portable version that someone else makes so that you can take it around with you on a USB stick.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
According to that Speko site I'm a 30's Grandparent. I have no kids as well as no grandkids so that thing is dead wrong.

Only post to the social networking sites and various other sites information, videos and photos of items and situations you are in total control over and feel totally and completely comfortable posting.

Remember, it is you who controls what is put out there. If someone will post a pic or vid of you without your consent that is someone you really do not want to associate yourself with.

I am free and less constrained here as here actual good can come out of it however on at least 2 other sites a manner of decorum is expected.

Your best bet is to avoid these apps and programs like if they were a plague. I've been on FB since early 09 and have yet to have an issue on FB itself.

Sites like this will mirror the template so that the unsuspecting user thinks that they are still on FB but in reality are on another page entirely. The purpose is to steal your information, A computer at another location records your information and used that to hack your account which jeapoardizes your friends and families pages and info as well.

Every person currently residing or staying inside The United States Of America has 4 levels of files, 1 for local access, 1 for County/Parish access, 1 for Federal Govt access and the other is the master file which contains every single one of the previous and contains every little piece of data ever recorded on you and does include your juvenile record (doesn't always have to refer to a criminal court matter, mainly school, doctors, hospitals and local info). The United States Federal Government can open your Juvenile Criminal Record at anytime but the lower tiers are forbidden to do so. The size of the average file can fit in an area about the size of your average 20 gallon cooler or a PDF or word doc that is at least 5,000 pages thick by the time you turn 18.

new topics

top topics

join