It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Television is a psycho-social weapon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I just found this and did a search here on ATS to see if it was posted. I couldn't find it, so here goes. I agree with this in that most people do form their views from what they watch on the tube. Also, have you ever noticed that when somebody is walking through a room that has a tv, they'll stop and stare at the thing for a few moments before shaking themselves, as if coming out of a deep sleep, and then continue on with what they were doing? Here's the link:

www.sovereignindependent.com...

It reminds me of this clip I saw:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I haven't watched the clip yet, but I just wanted to say I agree with this OP more then I can ever express.

Quit TV for a handful of years and you will surly see it as bright as day.

I can't even communicate simple ideas with most media-washed minds, and when your not on that glowing roller coaster of mind-altering bliss, you see plainly the degree people are absolutely under the thrall of it all.

I mean, they even blatantly call it your "scheduled programing".

This is one of the subjects I feel most strongly about, and as hard as I try to get people off the boob-tube drug, the more I am looked at like some kind of crazy freak trying to harm the one thing most Americans will die to defend, "their TV and movies".

So, Star and Flag, even if the video/article turns out to be crap.

MM

[edit on 10-8-2010 by Mr Mask]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
C-Span has to be the only channel with pure information- Although i have not watched television in years.

It is a worthless programming, showing you what you need, and the needs you want.

It programs you to think and behave like the cattle that the populace is.

Television is a drug that lots of people have a hard time quitting.

All the flashing colors n lights-

Like leary said- your brain is hungry for light- its trapped in that little cramped space, light deprived, it seeks light, and illumination-

so gorge your eyes on a lazer light show er somthing non-harming to your entertainment seeking brain-

i propose

dudeman

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Ok...just finished reading the article...well presented and pretty much right at the heart of the beast.

I could have done without the small references to the BBC media being "anti-Christ" and the part about "Alex Jones", but overall, a wonderful article and well worth the Star/Flags you will surly get from it.

I highly, HIGHLY suggest any of you take the challenge I was given 5 years ago. Watch no TV or select one or two shows you "desire to continue watching" and throw the rest away.

All these years later, my life has completely changed.

I've lost my anger, my desire to cause or enjoy violence, my need to see sexual vices paraded for my own amusement...and most of all, have found peace and a driving need to change this world for the better.

Before stopping my TV/Movie intake, I was a media junkie. I now see that almost ALL Americans I talk to find other people's misfortune to be comedy, and other people's deaths or destruction to be entertainment.

I used to laugh when a citizen was harmed in a strange way and put on the TV...now I can't stomach even commercials without feeling sick.

I can only say, that I fully believe the TV and all "mainstream" Media, is an intentional weapon.

Plato would be so proud of our republic.

MM

[edit on 10-8-2010 by Mr Mask]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
The article says that the TV is used to shape man. To mold him into some controlling figures image. They say that it's a tool of control.

I'd always assumed that it was the exact opposite. That people, rather than being shaped by TV, instead shaped TV.

The shows shown on TV are there because that's what people want to see.

The shows that no one wants to see get canceled. The companies that produce products that no one wants go out of business and stop buying airtime.

The article says that watching TV creates a dreamlike state and results in higher brain functions "shutting down".

I think that's part of the appeal. People need some time to relax. You can't be working all the time.

I've said it before, but I really don't understand all the hate for television. It's just a hobby that gives people some enjoyment. What's wrong with that? People don't get all elitist about other hobbies. "I haven't even built a model in years. In fact, I don't even own any model glue".

to Mr Mask:

With two children, I've had to all but give up TV; minus the occasional viewing of Sesame Street, Dora, etc. I have to say that I've not noticed any effects and I used to watch a LOT of TV every day. The only thing that I have noticed is that I really don't have any idea what is going on in the world anymore.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Television only exists because it can make money from commercials.

it is a Business and it is is our lives because it makes money, period. People need to decide if they want this pre occupation in their lives and if they stop watch television the business will stop making money because advertising companies will pull out with their commercials and Television will stop.

Its just a business that intends to make profit from its commercial revenue, and we let it continue if we do not wise up.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
It's called television programming..it's programming you.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Skid Mark

Is the www. really any different than TV as it continually becomes more commercialized, filled with banal, mind numbing sites or blatant propaganda, trite content etc. At least the www. has nekked women doin all sorts of stuff where as American TV thinks the human body is dirty. Now those Japanese and Swedes know how to make a TV program.

And with streaming video becoming the next huge internet phenomenon; there will be precious difference between TV and the web. Just hook up your laptop to your 1080i big screen, crack open a Red Bull or a Silver Bullet and settle in.

Actually......

I should be glad as a portion of my income is now from my New Media production company via the internet... Webesodes are us............
stay tuned kiddies for mirth, frivolity and belly laughs galore.
Perhaps someday I'll be able to figger out a way to sneek in our stream but she be verboten ala T&C.

And yes TV needs to be taken in small, controlled doses; if it ain't Monty Python, it ain't ****!

[edit on 10-8-2010 by whaaa]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Its funny how life reveals itself before you.

I had just been looking into a lot of similar material. The article you posted and video clip are excellent.

When you really examine this it really all comes down to one word. Manipulation.

You can spend some time thinking about this. Its all about mass manipulation.

When you dwell on this for some time it gets pretty gloomy. When you bring our society right down to its basics now its all about control and manipulation. Thats it. It doesn't matter if you turn off our tv. thats not enough. Most of society is being brainwashed.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

yeh but its free will of the person watching television. They choose to watch, they choose to be manipulated. We must take responsibility of our own actions if we wish to beat the system.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by misuneko

yeh but its free will of the person watching television. They choose to watch, they choose to be manipulated. We must take responsibility of our own actions if we wish to beat the system.

Very True. But its all about the numbers. They don't need everyone. Just most people. Where are they leading society with this? Why are they leading society like this. They are stunting mans proper evolution with this manipulation. Society is running around in a circle.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

I think its a mix of businesses trying to make money, make profit and to do that they need people, people watch because they want to be lead and are scared to take control of their lives and take responsibility. i dont believe that television companies are trying to manipulate i think they are just trying to make profit, which in itself is inhumane as the business must have humans like you and me who created it in the first place. Its societies view on money and profit that is the real problem here.

The need for a business to make a profit forces the workers to manipulate the individual in believing they are not whole without their product.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Sorry i meant that advertisers manipulate. Television companies just play out their commercials for the advertisers money with no regard to what effect it might have on society. Again business just thinking about profit.

I know in the UK, everywhere is plastered with advertising. Its sickening.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by hillbillydudeman

FOX went nuts with the special effects years ago, as near to the 911 false flag op as they dared. The telescreen starting throwing out these sci-fi laser hissing sounds with each frame change, sometimes many per second. You'd have to be mentally ill to miss it. I mean it was like a spitting air hose loose in the living room. It got to the point where I could take a deep breath when a toilet bowl full of germs was seen instead swirling on the wall, during commercials.

To the media it's as much a sport as an art. They like to see how much they can get away with.

It's a small example of why I distrust them. I recall Joseph Moshe. That guy knew full well that he was about to be gunned down on live TV. I will never forget the story, breaking live, and FOX's subsequent dropping of the story when the truth emerged, and was covered up. They really wanted those forced vaccinations, you know.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by misuneko

Its much more than simple advertisers selling products.

TV networks are owned by very powerful individuals interested in shaping soceity they way they want it.

Check out how a TV actually works. Check out how your brain is working when watching televison. Your are almost been put in a trance. Its not just shaping what you buy but also how you think. For so many people that sit down in front of telly after work for the evening becuase they are too wrecked to do anything else, they are being brainwashed.

Its so much more than a bit of advertising.

[edit on 11-8-2010 by JohnySeagull]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Thank you for this Thread.

Television is the most insidious tech weapon of all. I call it the devil in the corner. It spews mind-numbing doggydooo straight into the minds of everyone, yes the aware are also subject to and at risk of it's pervasive nature, who views it.

The ongoing media 'debate' about whether violent images on television or video influences behaviour, particularly in the young is a fully manipulated debate just as with the 'debate' over whether mobile phone masts impact negatively on the health of those living within the location of a mast.

Those who have an interest in continued promotion/marketing/use of the product will argue that there is no evidence to support the 'theory' that the product is conducive to the suggested detriment. They will wheel out their own 'research' and are aware that the majority buying public will accept this as irreversible fact and continue to believe the product benign.

Actual cases, such as the Bulger child murder case here in England a few years ago, where two boys had been watching Chuckie movies for hours prior to going out and abducting a toddler to murder, are scorned as anecdotal and brushed under the carpet. Perhaps honest reporting about cases such as this have helped some parents make other decisions on what is appropriate viewing for their children. Perhaps not.

The authorities have had over 80 years to research and gather information about how television influences the individual. Given as that the marketing industries carry out research on their advertising methods and have learned that a certain type of soothing sing-song, usually female, vocal is reassuring and inspires trust, it is unimagineable that government agencies have not found the best methods to use television to control behaviour and shape opinion.

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
How they do it and why it works

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Spot on. It's the biggest weapon for their social engineering/programming. The rest takers care of itself.

top topics

join