It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mankind must colonise space or face extinction, academic Stephen Hawking has warned

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Mankind must colonise space or face extinction, academic Stephen Hawking has warned

www.news.com.au

MANKIND must look to colonize outer space within the next century or it will become extinct, renowned British astrophysicist Stephen Hawking warned the Big Think website yesterday.
Professor Hawking said the human race is entering an increasingly dangerous period of its history.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
As the man say's our genetic predisposition to selflessness and greed could really bugger us up!
But imagine if we spread out with those ideology's still prevalent, nowhere would be safe, (ha, think Avatar!) I think space exploration would be fantastic but we have to learn not to # in our own nest first me thinks.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
He seems to just be stating the most obvious things lately. Or at least, he's getting media attention for these remarks.

Some alien species may be dangerous? No ****!

Expanding into space and colonizing other planets/moons will increase our chances of survival? No ****!

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Yeah it is pretty obvious;
Everyone has been saying it for years,
That's why most people are pushing for ET Disclosure,
so that the public could actually start using the ET Space Craft technology that has been kept secret for almost a century

[edit on 10-8-2010 by SupremeKnowledge]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Be very careful about this.

Read a short story once where the earth became overpopulated.

So they built cities on the far side of the moon. wink wink.

People were told that they would get huge houses and only the people that won the lottery would be allowed to go.

Take a guess on who all the winners were.

All were celebrating as their spaceships hurdled toward the SUN.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I think one irony of what Stephen said is that the same greedy selfish survival gene that has created turmoil here is the same one that is going to be exported into space.
And I'm one of the few who don't think our future lies in space.
We are built for life on Earth and this is our natural habitat.
Anything or anywhere else would be an artificial existence. IMO.
Just like we're not built to live underground, under water, for extended periods of time, the same applies to space.
Not without a whole lot of genetic engineering. But then we wouldn't be human anyway.

top topics

join