It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Oil washes up, on Brazil beach

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Not sure if this has been posted allready, but our latest news bulletin says oil is washin onto a Brazilian beach...And they have no idea where it's coming from...
if anyone gets any news on this please keep us informed.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by union_jack

Link?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:58 PM
link   
no link on BBC website as yet...but just heard it on the news channel...

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
The affected beaches are near Cabo Frio, about 150 kilometers (93 miles) east of the city of Rio de Janeiro.

www.businessweek.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
So the oil hasn't disappeared?
What are the currents like from the Gulf of Mexico and into the Atlantic? I know that there were projections that the BP oil was to go up the East Coast via currents. Is there any chance the oil could've found its way south?

Don't see how the BP oil could end up in Rio. Could just be from another spill that just goes unreported, as is the usual practice.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by Portugoal]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

No chance at all. The Gulf Stream does not go to South America.
Here's a story about the Brazilian spill.
www.businessweek.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Sadly I think that we will be discussing BPleak for many years to come..

Personally I feel like the leak was a misdirection of sorts.. from the main event

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Portugoal

No chance at all. The Gulf Stream does not go to South America.
Here's a story about the Brazilian spill.
www.businessweek.com...

Your quote "oh great ONE" (lol) says the gulf stream does not to to south america. So is one to assume that NO current, and NO oil can move around the ocean and make its way south?

Personally, while your responses are informed and filled with wiki data(when available) I find that you are one of the most STUCK UP posters here..

Why, NO CHANCE, at all? Currents flow in MANY directions my friend

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Le Colonel

The Gulf Stream travels up the east coast of the US, around the North Alantic, down Western Europe and Africa and back across the Atlantic north of the equator and north of the equatorial countercurrent. It takes more than a year for the full circuit, by that time the oil would be completed degraded.

Personally, I don't care what your opinion is of me.

[edit on 8/9/2010 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Not quite:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I'll expand - Take a look a that link illustrating the Atlantic's currents (yes plural).

There is a crossing point just about parallel with say N. Carolina, U.S.

Then throw in the the Gulf Loop Current has been eddying and this makes for some intriguing data to analyze.

It's possible to get to Brazil, just not likely that would be the first place it would show up.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by misinformational

I said the Gulf Stream, a surface current.

The deep current goes to Antarctica, not Brazil. It would be a very long trip indeed for oil to get to Brazil

[edit on 8/9/2010 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Very well.

Do you think that the 'broken' (eddying) Gulf Loop Current could have implications on any possible (mass) dispersion of the oil/COREXIT?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by misinformational

The gulf eddy current is a regular occurrence and would actually tend to keep the oil in the Gulf. It would have been worse if the loop current had not broken up.

If the eddy does remain in place, it will greatly reduce the chances of oil making it to Cuba, the Florida Keys, and beyond. Any oil moving southwards from the spill location will now become entrained in the eddy, and will move in a 250 mile-wide clockwise circle in the east-central Gulf of Mexico. A small portion the oil will get shed away from the eddy's periphery and make it into the Loop Current and waters surrounding the eddy, but the concentrations of oil doing so will be small.

www.wunderground.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yes, the eddying of the Gulf current is a natural process. However, I differ in your opinion that it being broken at this particular time is a good thing.

See without it eddying, it would be simple to track the evolution of the spill throughout the Atlantic - which is a much larger area for the oil to disperse than say, the Gulf.

Should the oil remain in the Gulf there are two possibly undesirable consequences:

1. The oil is less dispersed being confined within a smaller area than it would in the Atlantic.

2. It's much more difficult to track the oil. And as there is little sheen in ratio to the totality of the spill (due to the use of dispersant and it's higher density) the deeper currents play a role in the oil's travel.

Since it's much more difficult to track with the eddying of the Gulf current, it stands to reason that the oil could reach an unexpected destination.. Like Brazil.. Again, not likely that it would reach Brazil's coast without first landing on numerous Caribbean islands and more northern S. American countries. Nevertheless, the eddying, IMO, lends credence to this scenario.

[edit on 10-8-2010 by misinformational]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Its a few hours now since my origional post....was just wondering if anyone has any updates as to where the source of the oil is from...

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Doubt its from deep horizon, this some bull fa sho. Cannot even get a good international news company that will cover everything on a fair level atleast. Just fragments here and there and try and figure it out lol, why we call you a doom gloomer at the same time. I follow my heart on everything now and as said this is bull....

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by union_jack
Its a few hours now since my origional post....was just wondering if anyone has any updates as to where the source of the oil is from...

My guess ANOTHER FISSURE?
2ND

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I remember reading this in JULY 21st about dead wildlife in on Brazillian beaches....
www.bbc.co.uk...

Is the oil we see today actually the cause of this story in July ??

Regards

PurpleDOG UK

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join