It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Net neutrality threatened by Google/Verizon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Google-Verizon Pact: It Gets Worse

So Google and Verizon went public today with their "policy framework" -- better known as the pact to end the Internet as we know it...The proposal is one massive loophole that sets the stage for the corporate takeover of the Internet. www.huffingtonpost.com...

So by the looks of it, unless there is massive intercession with the American FCC, our internet is going to face some serious changes...and not for the good. Sure, it's posted on Huffington, but this is anything but a partisan issue. I urge all those who can, to lobby their government and prevent the net as we know it from being reduced to the all the independence of cable tv.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Not to quit before I start, but this Im said to say is the unfortunate fate of the Internet. Sure it was touted that information and the web should be free, for all and available to everybody, but did you really think they weren't going to take it over eventually?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

First do no harm...

Wow is that slogan an empty promise of a slap in the face.

The best way to fight this I can think of off hand is to boycott every single website/company that takes advantage of a faster tier. Most of this comes from all the added stuff they've put on the internet anyway. Would a newsboard or forum really feel the effect that much at a slower speed?

I'm afraid I'm not technical enough to understand exactly how this will be implemented, but it does feel bad.

do no evil

[edit on 9-8-2010 by Seiko]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Google-Verizon Pact: It Gets Worse

So Google and Verizon went public today with their "policy framework" -- better known as the pact to end the Internet as we know it...The proposal is one massive loophole that sets the stage for the corporate takeover of the Internet. www.huffingtonpost.com...

So by the looks of it, unless there is massive intercession with the American FCC, our internet is going to face some serious changes...and not for the good. Sure, it's posted on Huffington, but this is anything but a partisan issue. I urge all those who can, to lobby their government and prevent the net as we know it from being reduced to the all the independence of cable tv.

I read the huffingtonpost article and it's appalling what they WILL do to the internet. In essence they are stifling innovation to make money through communication lines that our taxes pay for and the govt. leases to these institutions. If I was Yahoo or Bling or any other search engine, I would be screaming bloody murder about this. Google most likely went to verizon and comcast and said we can guarantee a stream of income from both the providers of the content and the surfers via fees on both ends for having better service (paying for it) and/or having less than perfect service (paying for it still but having less quality). And at the same time we will have the ability to degrade or cut out competitors and future competitors to our organizations by limiting or blocking or degrading what is coming on the network. They will also have them in a catch 22, making them pay to have their content on the best quality stream but not guaranteeing that people will pay for that increase and even going to their sites. In essence bleeding them from a thousand cuts just to provide to them what should have been a one price scheme for all.

Google, Verizion, Comcast and many of the entertainment studios know where the future in entertainment will be and that is the internet. Remember a few years ago where the actors and directors where striking because of royalties for online content. This is because they know that much of the content will be streamed online for people to few at their convinence like a DVR, but better. Lets look at it from the studios point of few. Television has only so many hours of primetime even on Cable channels, but their are so many shows and movies that want to be picked up that they have to figure out how to put these into the schedual, but online it's not the case. Lets say that you produce a series that they want but it's not good enough as of yet to make it on television. So they put it online and advertise this show on the search engines and such. Saying click this and you are taken to the Warner Bros. site or whatever studio site to see the series online, via HD and on damn good servers. All you have to do is watch some commercials. And while your at the site they got you and they cqan entice you to look around and do this or that if they are put together well and such. Many shows do eventually get ripped and put online, but much of it is low qualilty.

Also lets look at studios that decide to put their works online via a pay subscription and/or just for viewing and getting you to their site old shows and movies that you can watch. I'm a spenser for hire man myself and imagine going to the studios website and being able to watch all the seasons at your convenience. They see the internet as a mass of people and they want them to come to THEIR site and do things. Google and Verizon and Comcast are trying to make money on the cheap by controlling the roads of the internet and making your life and others miserable unless you pay or you don't compete with them. These guys are going to kill the goose that lays the golden egg. It already costs money to get online, and know they want people to pay more just for the privelege of making sure you get good quality, this sounds like extortion to me.

The internet is a powerful tool and it should be a requirement for everybody in the US I believe. People online judge you by your actions and comments and not by what you are. You may be a one eyed drooling fool, but your mind is as beautiful as a 20 year old Brazilian lingerie model. The one medium where we can be equals and be judged by our comments and critical thinking. Where could you access so much information and cross reference information at the push of a few buttons. Even going to the library there's no guarantee of finding certain information or exoteric info. Also you can be an army of one with a computer and online access. What took a room of 20 or 30 people one person can do with software and application service providers, in starting a business or developing a webpage or whatever your fancy. The internet should be Neutral and what they are doing is making it Neutral in name only but controlling who or what or how you get the information. These idiots are destroying the last thing that may help us out of the coming depression.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Interesting. This is googles standpoint in 2006:

The Internet as we know it is facing a serious threat. There's a debate heating up in Washington, DC on something called "net neutrality" – and it's a debate that's so important Google is asking you to get involved. We're asking you to take action to protect Internet freedom.

In the next few days, the House of Representatives is going to vote on a bill that would fundamentally alter the Internet. That bill, and one that may come up for a key vote in the Senate in the next few weeks, would give the big phone and cable companies the power to pick and choose what you will be able to see and do on the Internet.

Today the Internet is an information highway where anybody – no matter how large or small, how traditional or unconventional – has equal access. But the phone and cable monopolies, who control almost all Internet access, want the power to choose who gets access to high-speed lanes and whose content gets seen first and fastest. They want to build a two-tiered system and block the on-ramps for those who can't pay.

www.google.com...

It seems this very deal being proposed by google-verizon is going to do exactly these things google was against in 2006

So the Google-Verizon deal can be summed up as this: "FCC, you have no authority over us and you're not going to do anything about it. Congress, we own you, and we'll get whatever legislation we want. And American people, you can't stop us.

This Google-Verizon deal, this industry-captured FCC, and the way this is playing out is akin to the largest banks and the largest hedge funds writing the regulatory policy on derivative trading without any oversight or input from the public, and having it rubber stamped by the SEC. It's like BP and Halliburton ironing out the rules for offshore oil drilling with no public input, and having MMS sign off.

From the original story on the google-verizon deal here:
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Can anyone deny now that google is evil incarnate?

[edit on 9-8-2010 by JohnPhoenix]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I'll go one farther and state now that google will buy out verizon within the year should they implement this.

I'd say they're control freaks for sure though.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Do you still use Google, Verizon or Comcast for searches/cell/cable/internet services? Re think your choices as easy and cheaper are not always better.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   
# google. Seriously. I type so much stuff into there it literally scares the living hell out of me sometimes, thinking they got all that stored somewhere.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Odd as i was reading live comments from the press conference. Google said they would not stand for an internet that wasn't completely open, and they and Verizon want the FCC to be given the power of regulatory control to ensure the internet does in fact stay free.

Googles statement on the matter:

googlepublicpolicy.blogspot.com...

[edit on 10-8-2010 by maskfan]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
just amazing ...

google is really a CIA front ahhaa

[edit on 10/8/10 by Faiol]

posted on Aug, 14 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
This isn't all Verison or Google. Actually Google is harmed by this. Look up ACTA. It's a treaty that's doing the damage. Censoring our internet, making it dangerous to use as if we download 1 tiny bit of copyrighted information we face jail time. Those iPods we're holding are worth billions of dollars according to the ACTA. We are in deep trouble.

top topics

join