It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bounty hunters to cut benefit fraud by £1bn

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Finance experts will identify welfare cheats by trawling through their records, household bills and credit card applications. The agencies will get a “bounty” payment for each fraudster they identify under government plans to cut the £5.2billion annual fraud bill.

The Tory Tattle Tale squads are coming....this is only the beginning, target the benefit fraudsters first to get the people to lap it up....then boom STASI crews on every street

Link to source

[edit on 9-8-2010 by Pockets]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Fantastic! there are far too many people fraudulantly sponging off benefits, I`m personaly glad they are doing this. why should they be cheating money of us tax payers and getting away with it!

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Benefit fraud costs the nation 1 billion a year. Tax evaision by the well off costs the nation 15 billion a year. Will these peoples records be trawled through as well?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by discobiskit

That's the kind of reply I wanted...you think it's right that a government body will be spying on peoples bank accounts and credit cards?

And for a cash reward...they may well save £1bn...but how much will all this cost....it's the governemt...it's bound to cost more to do this than let the people get away with it

This is only a first step on the rocky road to full government control

[edit on 9-8-2010 by Pockets]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
yes i do think it`s right if these people are believed to be breaking the law.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   

More fool you then

Lines-Sorry

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I think its right to weed out the people who are not entitled to these benefits. What interests me in that article is that Experian says it can do this by looking at people's lifestyles.

Now I may be mistaken but it is my understanding that Experian compiles or uses credit reports on people, that would say to me that anyone wanting to defraud the benefits system would just need to use debit cards and cash to slip under the radar.

I also agree with the poster who talks about the tax dodgers, will we see them being put under the same microscope I wonder.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by discobiskit
yes i do think it`s right if these people are believed to be breaking the law.

Correct .... 2 wrongs don't make a right.

It is correct to stop benifit cheats. It can't be right to let them get away with it.

Tax evaders need to be targeted as well.

Quite often I find myself working beside people who it turns out are getting money from the state system on top of the wage which I have to live on with no help from anyone.

How can that be right ?

Not only should their money be stopped, but anything they have claimed fraudulantly should be clawed back in some way.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Can't anyone else see this is not about benefit fraud, but is in fact about erosion of out liberty by the government?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pockets
Can't anyone else see this is not about benefit fraud, but is in fact about erosion of out liberty by the government?

Then you should change the title of your thread if it`s not about benefit fraud

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by cazzy2211

I also agree with the poster who talks about the tax dodgers, will we see them being put under the same microscope I wonder.

From personal experience I can tell you that the tax man certainly does target people and go through all their accounts.

The way it works is they pick a year to investigate. In my case that year they reckoned I owed them £5000.

That was not correct but unless you can prove otherwise the charge stands.

Then the tax inspector has the power to apply that charge over 7 years. So now you owe them £35000.

On top of that they can double the amount because they can, and the bill goes up to £70,000.

Now they add interest on the amount and before you know it your looking at a bill for £120,000.

Thats what I got and had to sell my house to pay it.

I know none will believe me but I didn't owe them anything, but as I said unless you can prove it there is nothing you can do.

How do you prove something didn't happen ?

So tax evaders, or even non tax evaders are already targeted and hounded unfairly already.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Maybe...the title is unimportant...it's the content that's important

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by bigyin

Thats pretty shocking Bigyin, I can see the same thing happening with the benefits. The real fraudsters won't get caught, they know how to screw the system, it will be some poor incapacitated soul who let his kid put his T in The Park ticket on his credit card who will lose everything.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
This is coming to the US also, because the US doesn't have the money for all the liabilities that are on it's books (SS, Medicare, public pensions, etc. etc.). They will use all means to find a reason to deny or lock you up if they can find fraud in a case.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

Madness that these rocket powered wheelchair users get away with it (sarcasm)

At the Department for Work and Pensions, which pays unemployment and disability benefits, fraud loss is estimated at £1.1 billion, which is 0.8 per cent of total benefit expenditure.

Holy carmumpomplolius atrociumius!

Tax fraud represented the biggest single area of loss, estimated at £15.2 billion, which is about 3 per cent of total tax liabilities.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

Read it and feel the disgrace that is the so called government that fails to target the rich and feeds from the poor and disabled.

14 Billion £'s aint being targeted?

Heck im just an idiot aint I. A poor sod who wipes your eyes with the cloth of truth but you would rather haved diarrhoea wiped over your face.

ive got a father that cannot go outside because people watch him, mentioned it on this site but hey, its all a lot of nonsense until it hits...

YOU!

[edit on 9-8-2010 by XXXN3O]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The Inland Revenue spent 5 years on my case.

It made me ill I had to stop working.

My wife became ill with the stress.

Some people have told me they would not have paid and fought in court, but when you are so worn down with threatening letters ever other day for years on end you just want to be rid of it.

In my case I did say I was taking it to court and within a few days the the Inland Revenue decided if I gave them half the amount £60k they would settle.

They gave no reason for the recalculation, it was just a number plucked out of the air.

Since we had already sold out home in anticipation of what was coming we had the money so just paid to get rid of them.

My wife still suffers from depression and other illnesses due to the stress.

I gave up my business and work for minimum wage now.

I have never claimed anything from the state ever.

It sickens me to my stomach to see the money taken from me being wasted on so many things.

I used to shrug my shoulders when people told me they were abusing the system and getting money whilst doing jobs on the side, but now I despise them.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

They can't go investigating there friends now can they?

Lines

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

But its a start in the right direction and more than the last Government has done.

And I will not complain if £1bn is saved and put to a better use, and even if a bounty is paid, this should not equal more than what is saved.

Of course, at some stage, the Government will need to take a lot at the people who use the tax system to their advantage, but if you compare the costs of doing this to the benefits, I wonder if this is the best first course of action to save money.

Typically those wealthy who use the tax system to their advantage have a army of finance people to do this and any move by the Government would be challenged in the courts, costing more in the first instance and with no confident that the courts would find in favour of the Government.

People who steal, (and there is not other word to use here) via benefit fraud should face the full wrath of the Law and have to pay back every penny that has been stolen.

There are plenty of people who really need the State to look out for them.

And I fail to see how we get from using bounty hunters to help hunt down benefit thiefs to secret police on every corner. I want my Government to go after criminals. We should hang a few of them as an example!

[edit on 10-8-2010 by Freedom ERP]

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 05:42 AM
link   
wow. I was talkin with some younger people i know and they recon crime will escalate and rioting is going to come.
some one said there millions of unemployed and the jobcentres only have 600,000 jobs . so if they do catch loads how are they going to pay back ,i suppose there will be tent citys comeing to a town near you if you live in uk.
and they are cutting criminal justice money by 20% and they said that means lots of jobs also same with police and nurses. so i reckon cameron will be de throw in to the abyss, and gordon brown will be begged to come back.. add on coffe crops failing vitc oranges failing ,rice, then the russian grain hrvest burned and withheld ... # going to be hiting fan come , november... thats why those rumors of the army being deployed in britain bk in early 2010 seams very real possibility to me now .

posted on Aug, 11 2010 @ 06:34 AM
link   
There are different types of benefit fraud.

The malingerer's who have either never or rarely worked and contributed little to society yet seek to milk as much as possible out of it.
The immigrants who reap the rewards of the system immediately whilst other's who have contributed for years yet receive little in their time of need.
These are the type's I think deserve to be scrutinised.

I understand the guy who does a day's graft on a building site for an extra £50 and fair play to him say's I.
All he's going to do is buy his kid's something and maybe have a few pints for a change.

Infinately better than the self-centred, hypocritical bastards who exploit their positions of responsibility for every penny they can get then have the nerve to moralise about other people.

The Benefit System as a whole needs a complete and radical overhaul including management recruitment policy.
Administratiom errors and incompetence accounts for far more waste than all fraud added together.

We opposed The Nazi's and Communists when they used neighbours and families to spy on each other yet we use the same practices ourselves.

Cameron is no better than the scum he replaced, and things will get worse.

<<   2 >>

join