It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a thought on the red light

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by RICH-ENGLAND

"negate all known laws of physics" my hiney. It would circumvent the known ones, via utilization of ones we don't know. That's the assumption of most people who believe in the possibility of FTL travel.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by RICH-ENGLAND
reply to post by getreadyalready

you do realise how long it would take to travel from the nearest inhabitable planet?. and do you still think they would travel all that way and take all that time just to tease us?.but im sure you will reply with something along the lines of "yeah but what if they've created tech that can negate all known laws of physics" and then there will just be no point me answering again.

again i say teasing a cat on our own planet with something such as a laser simply does not compare to making an extremely long and expensive flight across the universe!. a cat might scratch or bite you, an intelligent race might kill you for teasing it!.

thanks

rich

The laser can travel 100's of feet without me moving an inch. Their super-tech could cover a scaled version of that distance and not require them to travel.

Known Physics allows for at least 11 known dimensions that are mathematically proven to exist. Experiencing something across these dimensions would not break any known laws, and may or may not require any travel or valuable resource to accomplish.

You make a good point about a violent response from the species you are irritating. Sometimes the cat scratches, or gets a hold of your laser pointer. Sometimes we shoot at unknown objects. Sometimes things go wrong. It is certainly a possibility that we would strike back at these things if we could, and sometimes if we lash out randomly, we might just make accidental contact. I suppose they are taking a risk in that case, but if our analogy holds, then the risk is similar to a cat scratch. It hurts, might even scar a little, but it makes for a good story, and we continue to repeat the behavior knowing the risk involved.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

dealing with a cat and dealing with an intelligent civilisation is two totally different things, how would they know that we wouldn't follow them back and wipe them and their planet out?.

and my next point is that if i own a pet cat i may tease it for playful fun because i know that the cat enjoys the playtime and i also know the cat cannot do much to hurt me, but i would quickly get bored of teasing the cat with the laser and it would end up gathering dust with flat batteries in a drawer. now if we are to believe we are constantly being visited and have been for hundreds if not thousands of years then surely they would know our reaction to the lightshow by now and would have made real contact.

and if said aliens are so advanced and intelligent as you theorise then what would be the point of them engaging in such activities at all never mind over that amount of time and with so many visits, and back on the cat point, we are considered to be the most intelligent species on eart but i would not tease a lion even though it is less technologically advanced then me!.

thanks

rich

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis

"negate all known laws of physics" my hiney. It would circumvent the known ones, via utilization of ones we don't know. That's the assumption of most people who believe in the possibility of FTL travel.

Don't forget that FTL travel is only a problem for energy and matter. It is not a problem for information. We have proven FTL transmission of information via Electron Spin and Quantum computing.

Therefore, if we classify these anomalies as information instead of entities, then it becomes feasible that they can instantaneously traverse the distance.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   

and what would be the point of sending data here to tease us?. its even less logical than the first theory!.
im not trying to be argumentative but two of you have accused me of making assumptions but yet you are all making assumptions and creating wilder and less logical theories and constantly moving goal posts to make them plausible, sorry but its making it less and less plausible and logical that they would tease us!.

thanks

rich

[edit on 9-8-2010 by RICH-ENGLAND]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

You may not tease a lion, but the guys from the Jackass show did! They also intentionally got bitten by sharks and alligators!

I do agree with you that the entertainment value would quickly cease, so why do we keep having the sporadic contact? Could be many different civilizations taking their turns at poking the slow humans? I don't know, I don't even think it is the true explanation, I am just arguing that it is a "possiblity."

Now, here is how a I saw a professor explain the intersection of dimensional beings. If I am a two-dimensional character on a page, and everything in my universe exists in those two dimensions of length and width. Even if we add the 3rd dimension of time to the equation, it doesn't change much about my perception of my universe........Then along comes a 3D character, and he wishes to interact in my universe, so he inserts his finger through my 2 dimensions. What do I see? A circular intersection. Now if he inserts another finger or two, I see more, independent circles. I see multiple entities appearing and disappearing randomly. Not in any stretch of imagination can I imagine the shape or size of the finger creating the circle. Not in any stretch of imagination can I imagine or even comprehend that those circles are only the outline of a finger on a hand connected to an arm and a torso, etc., etc. It could never, ever be explained or illustrated in my 2D universe. There is no possibility of me ever comprehending it.

Thus is the problem with any dimensional intersections to our 3D-4D world. We will never, under any circumstance, be able to comprehend a more dimensional existence than our own.

Some people, for instance Dyslexics, use their mind's eye to comprehend things like letters on a page in 3 dimensions. Some even associate color or smell to inanimate objects or concepts. Maybe our psychics and prophets have this anomaly, and for whatever reason, they do get an inkling of what another dimension looks like in our world. Could explain a lot.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Very well said. I have to admit I had never quite thought of things in that light. Of course I don't ponder things much on the multi dimensional level. Thank you for bringing that into perspective! ^_^

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Dude, we're not making assumptions; we're making suppositions. you're saying it is not possible; we're saying why it might be possible. Under circumstances X and Y which we do not know to not be the case, they could be teasing us. Yet you are saying "No. NOt X and Y. Ever." You make assumptions, where as we speculate. It's a solid difference.

As to the boredom: It doesn't even have to be multiple civilizations. It could just be a lot of different individuals from one, the same way that we have countless individuals on the planet who play with laser pointers & cats. or someone with a really long attention span but not a very interesting one. Or, hell, maybe they live a lot longer so they only have been playing with us for a few equivalents of weeks.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   

it could explain things, but im yet to be convinced of other parallel dimensions although i don't discount it, i know its theoretically possible but there's been problems with most if not all theories offered so far, but again im still not having this theory of teasing us!!. lol.

just on a slight off topic tangent but on the theory of parallel dimensions and/or reliving our lives over and over in different dimensions, ive had quite a few deja vu's over my lifetime and i have a little theory that maybe we live our lives over and over and every choice we make puts us on multiple paths in multiple dimensions but the deja vu moments are due to remembering what we had done before in a different dimension and life, maybe we do it over and over again until we get it right, kind of like groundhog day???. lol

that was kind of hard to explain so hope you understand what i mean.

thanks

rich

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:22 PM
link   

it could explain things, but im yet to be convinced of other parallel dimensions although i don't discount it, i know its theoretically possible but there's been problems with most if not all theories offered so far, but again im still not having this theory of teasing us!!. lol.

just on a slight off topic tangent but on the theory of parallel dimensions and/or reliving our lives over and over in different dimensions, ive had quite a few deja vu's over my lifetime and i have a little theory that maybe we live our lives over and over and every choice we make puts us on multiple paths in multiple dimensions but the deja vu moments are due to remembering what we had done before in a different dimension and life, maybe we do it over and over again until we get it right, kind of like groundhog day???. lol

that was kind of hard to explain so hope you understand what i mean.

thanks

rich

You're getting "dimensions" and "universes" confused; these dimensions would actually be "perpindicular" to ours, rather than parallel. We're tlaking dimensions akin to the up-down left-right forwards-backwards three that we are used to living in.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

its still two totally different and unrelated scenarios, a cat lives on our planet, we know it well, weve interacted with it forever and a day, we know it inside out, we know how it will react, we know it cannot kill us if we tease it, our pet cat lives with us, it has befriended us therfore we can tease it without fear of anything, we know the cat enjoys playtime.

aliens do not know us, they do not know what weve got, they do not know what we can, cannot, will or will not do to them.

no matter what you say its still illogic and senseless for them to tease us?. on one hand you're making out that these beings are super intelligent and technologically advanced but then claim they just come here to do something that seems pretty retarded and pointless and a complete waste of time.

thanks

rich

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

i didnt mention universes so how am i getting them mixed up?

thanks

rich

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

Right! Parallel Universes, Perpendicular Dimensions. Even the name "Perpendicular" dimensions is entirely impossible to comprehend or visualize with our limited understanding. We can compute it mathematically, but we cannot possibly visualize it.

A couple of more ways to look at it. Imagine a flat piece of graph paper with two dots on it and a great distance between them. The distance is great in relation to the size of the paper, but if shape of the paper is changed, the dots can become very close together. They could even be touched to one another. You could fold the paper, bend it, spiral it, wad it up, or whatever. The paper is 2 dimensions. All the possible shapes you can manipulate it exist in 3 dimensions. Imagine all the possibilities if you add a 4th or 5th or 11th dimension! Distance between the two dots becomes completely irrelavent. There are an infinite number of ways to traverse the distance in all those other shapes.

On a globe, plot the shortest course from New York to Hawaii with a string. Now take that string to a two-dimensional map. In all likelihood, depending on the map, the string won't reach. Airlines use the "Great Arc" method of computing courses. The map is 2D and it isn't a good representation of our 3D world.

If we can't even draw decent maps from 2D to 3D, how can we begin to comprehend 4D and 5D and beyond?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Because what you are calling "parallel dimensions" is actually describing "parallel universes."

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

thats all very well and good but still is just theory and isn't proven and again most if not all of those theories have had majorr flaws. but i dont discount any of it and it may well be right but still, the more convoluted this becomes just make the op even less logical, and im yet to hear anything that has given any merit to it or answered my questions, the more scientific and intelligent these beings are being portrayed the less logical it becomes for them just to turn up, put on a light show and leave!. and thats assuming that we are even being visited !

thanks

rich

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solasis

Because what you are calling "parallel dimensions" is actually describing "parallel universes."

erm... no i didn't, not once, you seem to think its ok for aliens to have another dimension or come from other dimensions and can claim allsorts of theories but yet i cant have humans in another dimension ? eh? ok then, and how come i can find a stack of articles online by top physicists talking about parallel dimensions in the same context as me?. but no mention of perpendicular dimensions as you put it pertaining to this context?

thanks

rich

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

reply to post by Solasis

aliens do not know us, they do not know what weve got, they do not know what we can, cannot, will or will not do to them.

But what about all those long, time consuming and expensive (lol) journeys to planet earth? I mean, why else would they appear in the middle of the sky in their flying saucers, right?!
Have they been invading earths airspace for the sheer fun of it?

I'm willing to bet they know a lot more about us than you'd dare to dream. I believe they've had some sort of interaction with us also.

It's another What if? Anythings possible to a certain extent, So sure, why can't alien creatures have fun n' games.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBeatlesWillSaveUs

ok, ill take you up on that bet, now prove it?. we dont even know if aliens have visited at all but yet you assume they know more about us than i dare to dream? erm righto then. and your argument made no sense and you contradicted yourself, first you said they wouldn't travel all this way for fun and then you say they would? you obviously haven't taken much notice of what ive been saying either !.

and what was funny about the long and costly journey ? please elaborate, because even if we assume aliens dont have a monetary system like us, it still comes at a cost, time cost, and physical work to mine the materials and develop and build the machine, it doesn't build itself!.

and how do they know all this?... oh wait im sure they'll have a theoretical magic scanner that has read and stored every bit of our information in their theoretical magic anti gravity dimension shifting, time travelling light speed beating holographic data ship!. and im the one being accused of making assumptions? ok then.

thanks

rich

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Dude I don't even know what you're talking about anymore. That's not how dimensions work. NO respectable scientist would publish anything, except maybe in a popular magazine, claiming that humans exist in parallel dimensions. What they might claim is that the other universes are existing next to ours by ours some distance in one of the dimensions that we are not familiar with.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Solasis

eh? the scientists never said anything about humans living in a parallel dimension!. go back and read the things i have written and stop twisting my words.

you tried to tell me that i got dimensions and universes mixed up when i never.

you said it should be perpendicular dimensions and not parallel dimensions, you was wrong, i can find stacks of articles by real scientists talking about parallel dimensions but not one talking about perpendicular dimensions!.

you got it wrong while trying to be clever and now you're twisting it to suit yourself.

www.thecrimson.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

see the difference??!

thanks

rich

[edit on 10-8-2010 by RICH-ENGLAND]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join