It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spike Lee: US government lying about oil spill cleanup

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Filmmaker Spike Lee is calling a "lie" a U.S. government report that 75 percent of the spilled Gulf Coast oil is gone.

Speaking to a meeting of the Television Critics Association on Saturday, Lee said journalists should expose what he called the real story. He argued that it's unlikely that "abracadabra, presto chango" the vast majority of the oil has vanished from Gulf of Mexico waters and coastal wetlands.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: rawstory.com...

I'm not a big fan of Spike Lee, as he tries to blame everything on racism, instead of the true motivation behind most things, an agenda by the elite, against the non-elite. With that being said, any attention to the fact that the government is lying about the oil is better than none. Spike will probably try to turn this oil spill into a racial matter, just as he did with Katrina, instead of saying what it really is. Blaming this on racism, only allows the real culprits to get away, while spreading blame out across an entire race, avoiding focus and accountability for those responsible. I hardly believe that either Katrina or this latest oil spill was to either hurt or benefit a particular race, as opposed to a particular "class". Regardless, we need all the voices we can get to tell the people that the oil just didn't magically disappear. They are telling the public that "all is well" in the Gulf and people will be swimming and fishing in that water.

--airspon

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

it seems to me the problem is people's reading comprehension and attention span.

If they had followed this story at all, or actually READ much of what the MSM is saying, they arent saying it 'poof' magically disappeared. They are saying the vast majority has 'dispersed'. but no one is taking the time to find out what 'dispersed' means. (ie, still in the water)

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Sorry to deter from the title of this thread but why does it seem to me that you are bashing Spike Lee for "possibly" doing something?

I went into this thread looking for good news of someone stepping up and getting the word out and instead I get a big block of text complaining about something else.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by justadood

The MSM and the government is trying to emply that all is now well, the oil is gone. They fail to mention the plethora of harmful chemicals or that the oil is only dispersed. While the MSM is saying that the oil has dispersed, they are emplying that it is gone. This is even more true for authorities, though they are trying to emply that everything is now kosher. While I have no doubts that most people have comprehension problems, we are being lead to believe that the oil has gone and everything is sugerplums and daisies.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon

Filmmaker Spike Lee is calling a "lie" a U.S. government report that 75 percent of the spilled Gulf Coast oil is gone.

Speaking to a meeting of the Television Critics Association on Saturday, Lee said journalists should expose what he called the real story. He argued that it's unlikely that "abracadabra, presto chango" the vast majority of the oil has vanished from Gulf of Mexico waters and coastal wetlands.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.
Source: rawstory.com...

I'm not a big fan of Spike Lee, as he tries to blame everything on racism, instead of the true motivation behind most things, an agenda by the elite, against the non-elite. With that being said, any attention to the fact that the government is lying about the oil is better than none. Spike will probably try to turn this oil spill into a racial matter, just as he did with Katrina, instead of saying what it really is. Blaming this on racism, only allows the real culprits to get away, while spreading blame out across an entire race, avoiding focus and accountability for those responsible. I hardly believe that either Katrina or this latest oil spill was to either hurt or benefit a particular race, as opposed to a particular "class". Regardless, we need all the voices we can get to tell the people that the oil just didn't magically disappear. They are telling the public that "all is well" in the Gulf and people will be swimming and fishing in that water.

--airspon

Wow, from reading the snippet and them reading your thoughts, your problem seemed more about the thoughts of Spike Lee's work or what you think that he represents, then the fact that he spoke out about the spill.

Out of your thread 3 sentences had to do about the spill, and the rest was about how S.L will probably turn this into a racial thing... I'm just saying. Whether or not he did a movie about Katrina or not, this isn't just about people in the gulf anymore, its much bigger than that, I hope that no matter who speaks up, that they actually speak on behalf of those who cannot, no matter the color of their skin, or any projects they may have done in the past.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by airspoon

yeah, i agree they are implying such. As i said aboove.

my point, though, is that anyone who has read even a few articles, or, better yet, stayed up to date, knows 'disappeared' means 'dispersed.'

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I expressed my thoughts on Spike Lee to put forth my opinion on his credability and then to further state my position on the level of importance that this current statement plays. Spike Lee has defined his political stance around racism and I feel that this is overplayed and innaccurate. If past behavior is anything to go by, then this oil spill will soon be exploited by racists who use this to claim to racism or by the uninformed to do the same. I'm simply agreeing with Lee, while not agreeing with any racial motive when and if he does as expected.

--airspoon

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by airspoon

If past behavior is anything to go by, then this oil spill will soon be exploited by racists who use this to claim to racism or by the uninformed to do the same.

--airspoon

Can you expand upon that statement a little for me?

I dont quite get the connection you are trying to make.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   
So, what are you saying Airspoon?
Spike will say:
"White men can't pump?"

Seriously I hope he doesn't add the extra division...
People need get together based on what's common...
On the other hand it isn't like you haven't been right before.

he may value his carreer and not getting Oliver Stoned more than the truth..I hope not, but the PTB love to make examples of people, and I bet he knows it.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
This just goes to show that now more more people are waking up to the fact that the gov't is doing what the people here at ATS have been saying the whole time. This is something that will put a little weight behind his comments.

tamunews.tamu.edu...

Gulf Oil Spill Gone? Not So Fast.

COLLEGE STATION, Aug. 5, 2010 – Reports saying that 75 percent of the gulf oil spill has either been cleaned up or broken down by natural forces are likely incorrect, and there are still big problems lurking beneath the surface of the Gulf of Mexico, says a Texas A&M scientist who conducted one of the first on-site studies of the spill.

John Kessler, assistant professor of oceanography in the College of Geosciences, says reports that most of the gulf oil has disappeared and appears no longer to be a problem are misleading, if not totally inaccurate. Bottom line, he explains: there are still large amounts of oil and gas in the gulf and they still pose big problems.

“Recent reports seem to say that about 75 percent of the spill has been taken care of, and that is just not true,” Kessler says

Now I hope that the people here in the US will finally wake up and see the truth about this disaster. Little by little it is starting to happen.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

If he keeps the racial part out of the this disaster he could be a real good person to help the people understand the seriousness of the situation. He is biased and loves to bring race into the mix, but he does have a way of getting people to listen to what he says. I guess we are going to have to wait and see what transpires from these comments of his.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h
reply to post by Danbones

If he keeps the racial part out of the this disaster he could be a real good person to help the people understand the seriousness of the situation. He is biased and loves to bring race into the mix, but he does have a way of getting people to listen to what he says. I guess we are going to have to wait and see what transpires from these comments of his.

Funny, though, and noteworthy, that three posters in this thread have now "brought race into it", while Mr lee appears to not have.

So, what does race have to do with this, at all?

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Edited because it was too far off topic.

Lee (and many others) has a tendency to interject race instead of the real culprits. For instance Katrina.

--airspoon

[edit on 9-8-2010 by airspoon]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
All I can say is that I see where this thread is going, and though I may want to point out some of the obvious misconceptions, that I cannot become part of the derailment that this thread is going to take, and I hope that this gets shut down before it gets worse.

Just for the sake of people not getting more offended or anyone offending further.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   

You are slightly missing the point we made Dood
We are bringing up the bringing up of race, not bringing up race.
There is a difference.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

I have noticed something with you and your posts. For some reason you seem to want to twist what someone says and try to get them to answer in a defensive way. I can see you aren't capable of understanding the context that is being said. If you have ever paid attention to certain things that Spike Lee has done it tends to be somewhat of a racial overtone. Yet you seem to think we are trying to make this something to do with race and that is where you are mistaken. These posts are not aimed at being racial they are just pointing out things he has done in the past.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Ok where do you think this thread is heading. You obviously cannot understand the point that was made and if you think it is being done in some sort of race overtone then by all means find something else to read. We are only stating things that he has done in the past and in no way are we trying to make this a certain type of thread that you seem to think it is heading towards.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

You are slightly missing the point we made Dood
We are bringing up the bringing up of race, not bringing up race.
There is a difference.

LOL. Three people brought up race in this thread, even though mr lee hasnt, and it has nothing to do with the topic, or his statements.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the bringing up race arent black, either.

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
oh, never mind.
off topic

[edit on 10-8-2010 by justadood]

[edit on 10-8-2010 by justadood]

posted on Aug, 10 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join