It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India’s Nuclear Diplomacy...Why New Delhi is courting Tehran.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
ATS ate my commentary. Please hold.

MOD EDIT:
Here's a rewrite of the OP:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on Mon Aug 9 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

MOD EDIT:
to add title to thread

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   

India’s Nuclear Diplomacy...Why New Delhi is courting Tehran.

Earlier this year, Brazil and Turkey infuriated the Obama administration when they announced just ahead of a critical United Nations vote on sanctions against Iran that they had brokered a deal to reprocess Iran’s low-enriched uranium. To Washington, it looked like a throwback to the bad old days of the nonaligned movement: two big developing nations trying to burnish their anti-Western credentials at the expense of nuclear nonproliferation. They even thumbed their noses at the West by voting no on the new sanctions. Now many are wondering if India will be the next to break ranks on Iran.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

www.newsweek.com...

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
India may indeed "break ranks."

Ideologically and geopolitically India is world's apart from what is going on in the Middle East right now. That they have "allowed" it thus far goes more to its more immediate and pressing needs in bringing itself up as a global economic power.

Right now, they need the resources coming through the Middle Eastern chokepoints...water, oil, and natural gas and cannot have that disrupted. But they will not put up with killing, aggression, and colonialism for long.

Throwback to the "bad old day" of the nonaligned movement? The NAM is alive and well. And being very vocal about Iran's nuclear rights (link).

India has been in talks with Iran over a regional solution in Afghanistan (link), which by some reports did not go well but it's a start. They have dire concerns that their enemy Pakistan is using U.S. funds to target their people in Afghanistan along with American and NATO troops. They know that when/if the U.S. leaves Afghanistan, there will be more war with Pakistan.

Couple this with the fact that the Arab nations are also beginning to move toward aligning with Iran, "the enemy of their enemy" (link) and the U.S./Israel are now leaning on other nations in the same way they are leaning on Iran insofar as nuclear development and rights go (link and link) and this is the opportune time to form new alliances.

In a nutshell. the Middle East is possibly uniting to stop colonialism for control over the oil/water/natural gas pipelines. They know or are beginning to realize that a nuclear Iran might just level the playing field for the Middle East as a whole...both economically and defensively.

On top of Iraq and Afghanistan, the U.S. has more Middle Eastern nations in its crosshairs...Syrian, Lebanon, as well as some Central Asian ones...Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan. All in the path of these pipelnes...coincidence?

It is evident to everyone by now what they are doing to Iran, who they have been attempting to colonize for decades now with lies and propaganda and attacks on their nuclear rights as signatories to the non-proliferation treaty. Just as they did to Iraq and are now doing to Jordan and Syria.

And everyone knows that Russia and maybe even China, maybe even together, are just waiting for the U.S. to fail in the Middle East and Central Asia so that they can move in, which would leave the Middle East in the same boat but with new aggressors. The Middle East simply wants to cooperate and be part of the global economy and control what is rightly theirs to control...not be a pawn in someone else's game.

India's bid for a permanent seat on the UN Security Council is moving forward as well (link). If this should happen it would be part of a major shift away from the traditionally held ideologies that have run the UN since after WWII. Interesting too how all the major players on both the UN and global stage are nuclearly armed, isn't it?

In a nutshell. the Middle East is possibly uniting to stop colonialism for control over the oil/water/natural gas pipelines. They know or are beginning to realize that a nuclear Iran might just level the playing field for the Middle East as a whole...both economically and defensively.

India it should be noted is not a signatory to the nonproliferation treaty, and maintain a "no first use" policy. Defense only. A policy which would make sense for any country to maintain. Including Iran.

Just my two cents.

[edit on 8/9/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Great analysis Lucidity, well worth the wait I would say.

I like how the Newsweek article portrays the US Administration's anger at Turkey and Brazil out of a perceived anti-Western stance.

Yes, how dare Turkey and Brazil try to solve an global crisis and prevent war by coming up with a nuclear deal with Iran.

Don't Turkey and Brazil know their place? They should just sit down and shut up and not try to come up with solutions to the tensions, allow the tensions and propaganda to take their course, and war to happen.

Silly Turkey and Brazil! Silly meddling third world countries Trying to be all reasonable and mediators! They should know the US and Israeli administrations and TPTB will not be denied, and the demonisation of Iran will continue and war will happen.

On the issue of India. They are balancing relations with Iran and Israel at the moment. Israel are trying to get friendly with India by trying to link it's treatment of Palestinians to India's battle against militants and stating it's a shared war etc etc etc.

[edit on 9-8-2010 by Regensturm]

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Regensturm

Good point about how the article handled that as well. Couching it as anti-Westerm The U.S. didn't garner any support in it's reaction to that either. Or in the way in leaned on China and India and even Russia to gain support for the sanctions. All three nations objected to further sanctions on Iran months in advance.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

That's a fine analysis as stated by Regenstorm. The part missing above is India has long standing relations with Iran going back to 1979. Not ignoring the talks of India-Iran gas pipeline which was hampered after 2008 due to US influence after India-US nuclear treaty.

Like any other sovereign nation India has it's own interest in mind & India definitely seems to be taking a neutral path as it should be keeping in mind it's geographic location. Also let me say that as per the documents available India has always supported Iran's right to nuclear program 'under NPT guidelines' which Iran is signatory of. That is not new in anyway no matter how much the MSM tries to portray it is.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I dont think China waits for the US. China has no tradition of sending its troops outside of what she considers to be China, and the Chinese businessmen have long reached ground zero, so there is no waiting involved on the economic side, either.

The Russians are more interested in keeping Chechen Assasins off their territory, than in supporting any adventurisms of their own in Afghanistan,
MedvePutin agreed to even allow air support of ISAF by russian flight corridors. I havent seen anything on the webs, that would indicate any russian business efforts atm in Afghanistan.

Giving the uranium to Turkey/Brazil for enrichment instead of stocking up own enrichment capacities is actually an Iranian concession to the UN inspectors, so I dont see, why the OP sees this as an aggressive move against the US. Might anyone explain

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by EFGuy

Thanks for that reminder of 1979. My aging mind tries not to go back too far...otherwise I'd never stop babbling and typing LOL we could go back forever, but I try to stay within the past three decades to look at the game moves, post Cold war more or less and focus on what's happening from now forward.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by XenoStuffz

Giving the uranium to Turkey/Brazil for enrichment instead of stocking up own enrichment capacities is actually an Iranian concession to the UN inspectors, so I dont see, why the OP sees this as an aggressive move against the US. Might anyone explain

I agree and don't see it that way at all, but more as Iran trying to accommodate every concern. If it's the article, well it's full of a few questionable things. The reference to NAM, the assumption that there even is a clandestine nuclear program. A few other things.

posted on Aug, 9 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Good post .
This message has eased some anxiety I was having about the whole situation over there . I would say that the Beast has suffered a wound to the head.... .Got to go read something again so's I can project a little clearer ...peace

top topics

join