It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: Build mosques to prevent Islamic radicalism

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Any belief or ideology can be "radicalized," Gorman.

There are social, economic, and political conditions that make some people, particularly young people more susceptible to radicalization.

Radicalization is the process of taking the core beliefs or ideologies that someone already holds and manipulating those to take a person to more radical places of thought. These thoughts might then lead to revolutionary, militant, or extremist actions, which might include terrorism.

That's pretty much the premise here.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

That's precise enough thanks. I was just curious because if you asked some people, the fact that a St. Patrick is standing is radical.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

www.bbc.co.uk...

Foreign medical workers among 10 killed in Afghanistan? Is that the article you were linking? What does this have to do with the topic?

Can you give us some more words to describe the point you were attempting to make by linking this and how it relates?

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I have to tell you in secret that i read half of the study.
But recommendations are right at the top:

Our research suggests that building strong community institutions helps to prevent radicalization.

It does not speak about Mosques, true. Got too heated up about the first paragraph in the rawstory article:

The efforts by some groups to prevent the construction of mosques could backfire, suggests a recent study that urges the building of Muslim community centers and mosques as a way of preventing Islamic radicalism.
But in the study it says:

We recommend that all levels of government make additional efforts to offer disadvantaged Muslim-American communities such community-building resources as funding for recreation centers, day care centers, public health clinics, and courses in English as a Second Language.

So i assumed that since article mentions Mosques in the same connotation , source does this too somewhere in the half i did not read.
My bad.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
But recommendations are right at the top:

Our research suggests that building strong community institutions helps to prevent radicalization.

It does not speak about Mosques, true. Got too heated up about the first paragraph in the rawstory article:

Right. That's a basic premise. Strong community institutions...any type of radicalization. Then they take it down to the specifics for the Muslim community.

The efforts by some groups to prevent the construction of mosques could backfire, suggests a recent study that urges the building of Muslim community centers and mosques as a way of preventing Islamic radicalism.
But in the study it says:

We recommend that all levels of government make additional efforts to offer disadvantaged Muslim-American communities such community-building resources as funding for recreation centers, day care centers, public health clinics, and courses in English as a Second Language.

So i assumed that since article mentions Mosques in the same connotation , source does this too somewhere in the half i did not read.
My bad.

The article went to the bottom line of the study for Muslim communities as to what they could do for themselves.

The paragraph that you refer to about governments is really saying that they should not neglect members of their communities who are Muslim...that they should make efforts like they do with anyone else to advertise and publicize the government and community programs that are available to everyone. For example, the same kinds of steps that were taken to ensure that all government documents were printed in Spanish.

This type of outreach is probably more true for communities and countries where they have had large amounts of immigration due to the ME diaspora, like France, where they are already doing things like this as a result of their riots a year or two back. But it's a concept that applies in general.

[edit on 8/8/2010 by ~Lucidity]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join