It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 minute of Fame? Or Fail?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
What is up with 'us' (people as a whole) and our love affair with videoing - to then expose our lives (and idiocy) on-line for all to witness?

The absolutely unbelievable behavior and antics we put ourselves, others and animals through in order to get those '3 minutes of fame' on You Tube (or other video sharing sites).

What's come over society in general that not only do we publish on line videos containing material and events we'd never have even fessed-up to not so long ago, but some people? All their good sense (if they ever had it) goes right out the window when they hit that 'record' button! (Can we say Jessica Slaughter and her Parents)...

We've all seen videos of what I'm referring to - people losing their character, their minds, their dignity and self respect, I mean there's a million of them if there's one - but here's the one that inspired this thread.

I was HORRIFIED by the following video. (/Hysteria, lol)

Warning. If you love animals, have a heart, or even half a brain, you might be disturbed by the following video.

I'm telling you if I could get my hands on this guy - I'd have 3 minutes of fame on You Tube and you can take that to the bank!

Why?

Mr. A.H Fisherman hooks a stingray. Well bully for him. But wait! Mr. Stingray is a Mrs. Stingray, and, she's pregnant.

What does Mr. A.H Fisherman do?

A - Put her back in the water the moment he realizes she's giving birth?

B - Put her out of her misery?

Or? C - Haul up on the line and keep her flopping about in agony while she gives birth to three pups? And of course because he's filming a video he just forgets - or more likely doesn't give a fig - Mom and new darling little pups NEED WATER... So of course he just leaves them to lay there dying on the decking.

So, really people?

Why loose your head, your sanity, your heart, your humanity, loose your soul for those 3 minutes of fame?

Is it really worth it folks?

peace

edit = warning in bold

[edit on 7-8-2010 by silo13]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Fail. I was out last night with my cousins and we did some drinking. One of my cousins gave another a shot and was deceptive about what was. Well the one taking it ended up puking because he wasn't expecting it and as he was my other cousin started filming it. Ya may have been funny at the time but if he decides to share it could have some negative consequences.

I understand this is a different kind of an example but the message should be clear. With cameras people dont think. A camera lens is like a phallus. It is meant to penetrate your life and is an extension of the ego. People stick them everywhere, rudely and without thinking. Just like sometimes I think with the wrong head LOL
point is people stop thinking when they film.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:49 PM
link   
that video literally made me shed a tear. those poor pups. but it couldn't stop me from posting this.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jacktherer

Wow. I dont know what else to say but, that was phat, yo.

[edit on 8/7/2010 by The Endtime Warrior]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Wow, awesome post! I wonder the same thing myself. I think a lot of it is "Attention Seeking" , spoiled kids , and of course, narcissism.

I can understand those who want to video their lives, if they have family oversees and they want to share those precious moments, but not this "look at me! look at me!" mentality.

It's saddening that the state of the world right now is :

People care only for themselves. It's numero uno. No empathy, no respect, nothing.

I prefer not to go out in public places, due to the rudeness of people I encounter.

Same everywhere on the internet, people want attention, they want fame, they want the inflated ego that goes along with the compliments they receive.

Mod Edit: Quote trim. Please see ABOUT ATS: Warnings for excessive quoting, and how to quote. Thank you - Jak

[edit on 7/8/10 by JAK]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
That was disgusting.

Surely he could have pushed them all back in the water when he saw what was going on?

How ignorant can you get? I'm horrified by how somebody could just stand by and watch these creatures flap around and die. I feel sick and i wish i hadnt just watched that.

Edit to add: Looking at the other thread on this, at least the goon had the decency to put them back in the sea - after their protracted torture.

[edit on Sat, 07 Aug 2010 15:45:07 -0500 by Silver Star]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I never watch those afv shows, nor anything like them, because it appears that most are simply shot with the telescreen program in mind. It's all I can think, when exposed to the submitted videos...staged/not staged. When I wasted minutes of my life on balloon boy, I wanted to throttle the parents. Just throttle them. I attribute it to the media for soliciting this sort of stuff. What the bedroom must have been like pre-telescreen era, I wish I knew.

You're the man. I'm the man. Whoop whoop. Corporate scent dispenser senses motion, sprays corporate scent in the room. Everyone happy.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Hate to break it to you, people are dinks. I am an animal lover and adore the little and big creatures. One thing I will tell you, learn to let things go no matter how big. If you attach yourself to too close than you will find yourself in a sad and depressed world.

Am I angry? Well sure, but I can't do anything about these jerks. I can only deal with what is in front of me at the moment.

Even though I am angry I can't be mad at the world for many people's ignorance. If that were the case I would have mood swings all the time, luckily now I only get them twice a day!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Great. thanks for making me waste two hours reading and listening to Antoine Dodson.

I will admit...that song is awesome.

So run and tell that, run and tell that!

Ha ha.

So far the best remix I found...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by davidmann

You're the man. I'm the man. Whoop whoop. Corporate scent dispenser senses motion, sprays corporate scent in the room. Everyone happy.

Very nice! I posted this thread late last night so I missed this quote - but a nice thing to wake up to, lol. I like it...

It truly is a social disease in my opinion, this whole FaceBook, You Tube GET ME ON THE NET thing...

Ugh!

peace

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

Am I angry? Well sure, but I can't do anything about these jerks. I can only deal with what is in front of me at the moment.

Great point, something I try to put into action as much as possible.

And, you're correct, we can't do anything about situations like this. Maybe we could protest on those video sites by posting comments - but I'm not so sure if that's even a good idea as it seems most of those people feed on negative response as well as positive.

No, the best thing is to take care of what's around us, what we love, all things big and small as you say. And the letting go.

That and make sure you never ever subscribe to the mind set of - 'Push all caution aside and get that video no matter what'! (Well, unless it's a UFO)...

peace

Edit = spelling oops...

[edit on 8-8-2010 by silo13]

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jacktherer

In response to 'shedding a tear' over the Stingrays... Thank you. Meaning, than you that you care. It might not be pleasant but at least you know you've a heart.

As for Antoine Dodson, lol, I saw that vid and loved it.

This guy is a natural. I mean, I really don't believe he was 'putting on' anything for the interview. I get the feeling he's like that all the time.

Those kind of videos are great. I like seeing the 'realness' of other people, so, in that respect videos can be great. But not the ones like the Stingray where something suffers for the sake of that 3 minuntes of FAIL.

peace

new topics

top topics

join