It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unfair criticism of the Christian religion...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by hippomchippo
Jesus, Gandhi, Buddha.
All people to aspire to be like, but none to worship IMO.

I see the connection in all things and worship whoever, whatever did this here for us. It could not have been more perfect but for the nature of man. These great humans try in their way to indicate we are not alone and this was no accident and if I aspire to be like any of them I would show their same respect and reverence for life and creation. Call it worship. It is a good thing to acknowledge and respect your creator. True or false on an imperceptible level of existence this "worship" of something larger than self, does a body good.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by rusethorcain

Jesus, Gandhi, Buddha.
All people to aspire to be like, but none to worship IMO.

I see the connection in all things and worship whoever, whatever did this here for us. It could not have been more perfect but for the nature of man. These great humans try in their way to indicate we are not alone and this was no accident and if I aspire to be like any of them I would show their same respect and reverence for life and creation. Call it worship. It is a good thing to acknowledge and respect your creator. True or false on an imperceptible level of existence this "worship" of something larger than self, does a body good.

If there is a creator, I fully respect it.
I won't worship anything though, that leads down a slippery slope.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   
It strikes me as very significant, that through most (if not all) of this thread the christians present here talk about the bible, and then constantly only refer to the new testament (with a few exceptitions).

Even those christians who have their religion second-hand, not actually being very familiar with the content of the bible, must be aware, that there exists something called the old testament, which in spite of its contemporary political incorrectness in some circles, STILL is part of the bible.

It would take some advanced twisting of common sense to conciliate the new and old testament, but then ofcourse....we are not to look at the ACTUAL and SPECIFIC parts of the bible (as they inconveniently are selfcontradictory), we are to find the general intent, without going into details.

And you christians are certainly eager in this pursuit. Sofar you've found two thousand official versions of what christianity REALLY is about
(plus all those having private communication with divine powers leading to individual interpretations). And you certainly get smashingly well along with your almost brethern and sistrern in christianity. You hardly ever fight or kill each other, and thus you are setting a good example for us ungodly heathens.

An interesting answer to these mildmannered doctrinal disagreements you've had with each other (and the rest of the world for that sake), is already implied in the mentioned suggestion of not giving the book of confusion to much detailed attention and concentrate on the totality bigger than the sum of the parts.

So who ARE the real christians? Those who can find the 'right' interpretation? You need another two thousand years and another two thousand schisms?

Maybe you can even agree on, that the book of confusion CAN be read any old way, but then what makes any of you christians at all?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Gday,

Originally posted by marsvoltafan74
It has come to my attention that the general consensus on the attitude towards Christianity is that it is based on hypocrisies.

Hypocrisies?

Hypocrisy is criticisng other people, but then doing the same thing you criticised those others for.

Have any of you even read the New Testiment?

Yes.

You don't actually believe that everyone who disbelieves you have never read it?

You don't really believe that as soon as someone DOES read the NT, that every such person will agree with you?

Many of us HAVE read the NT in detail, and do NOT believe it.

Because if you did so you'd see that many of the claims you bring against the religion are criticized in the book itself.

So, the sins of Christians that sceptics complain about, are also critcised in the NT.

So in fact, some Christians do exactly what the Christian books say NOT to do.

Well, that is the definition of hypocrisy.
Christians comitting sins that Christians disagree with.
Hypocrisy.

examples of Christian hypocrisirs snipped

So, you quoted a big list of sins which Christians commit,
yet sins which Christians claim are bad.
Hypocrisy.

So though I respect your opinions I will have to respectfully disagree with your false claims for it is not the religion itself which is flawed, but its followers,

So, Christians ARE flawed and DO commit sins that Christianity rejects.
So they ARE hypocrites after all.
If the religion's followers are so flawed, then the religion has failed.

excluding the true Christians.

What "true christians"?
Who are they?
Are YOU a true Christian?

Kap

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Religion by its nature is not intended to dominate and control but connect us with what we believe. The flawed nature is in the church

So, the Chrustian church is flawed
We agree.

Never has a belief killed someone, only people who wrongly put that belief in action.

Bollocks.

"Never has Islam killed someone, only people who wrongly put that belief in action."

What nonsense.

Kap

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Gday,

The Bible much like a law book is instructions on what to do and what not to do, it is useless if just read and not abided by.

Really?

What about the instruction to kill disobedient children?

What about the instruction never to eat shelfish?

What about the instruction to not mix types of material?

Do you follow all those?
And the other 600 or so instructions?

No?
So you only actually follow a few instructions that you CHOOSE to?

Kap

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

reply to post by Solomons

Christianity is not only about getting a ticket to Heaven, but having a relationship with God, which you know nothing about sadly. You might believe its a fairytale but you haven't experianced what I have. Your mind tells you He isn't real but my whole being tells me He is. The only reason you haven't found Him, like so many others, is because you haven't seeked Him.

Hinduism is not only about getting a ticket to Heaven, but having a relationship with God, which you know nothing about sadly. You might believe its a fairytale but you haven't experianced what I have. Your mind tells you He isn't real but my whole being tells me He is. The only reason you haven't found Him, like so many others, is because you haven't seeked Him.

Islam is not only about getting a ticket to Heaven, but having a relationship with God, which you know nothing about sadly. You might believe its a fairytale but you haven't experianced what I have. Your mind tells you He isn't real but my whole being tells me He is. The only reason you haven't found Him, like so many others, is because you haven't seeked Him.

Silly nonsense.

Kap

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Religion by its nature is not intended to dominate and control but connect us with what we believe. The flawed nature is in the church not the religion. Never has a belief killed someone, only people who wrongly put that belief in action.

So,
Christians DO commit sins which their religion tells people not to?

Which is the definition of hypocrisy.

Kap

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Exactly my point, the flaws lie not in religion but in the people who follow it,

Ah,
So Christians commit sins their religion tells people NOT to?

That's the definition of hypocrisy.

Kap

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Although it has been the cause of bad ...

Yes, Christians have done bad things.
We agree.

Kap

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Gday,

You prove my point, you have never read the Bible. I can tell based on your assumptions on what its about.

What arrogant bollocks!

marsvoltafan74 actually believes that anyone who disagrees with him CANNOT have read the bible.

Because he believes that everyone who DOES read the bible will agree with him !!!!

Which is completely and utterly false - how ridiculous.
MANY many people HAVE read the bible and do NOT agree with you!

What an arrogant and insulting comment.
So typical of believers.

You are biased and narrow minded which people like you ...

So that's the Christian "love" you were talking about?

Kap

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Religions don't kill people, power hungry people kill people

So some Christians commit acts that Christianity forbids people?
Hypocrisy.

Kap

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Where is your proof, I provided written scripture. What have you provided? Just opinion

Proof?
Proof of what?

You quoted scripture to show that Christianity forbids sins that Christians go ahead and commit anyway!

The definition of hypocrisy.
Doing sins you tell others not to.

Proof that Christianity is based on hypocrisy.

Kap

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
now come on we are all hypocrits Ill be the first to tell you that I am a sinner yet believe in the saving grace of jesus Christ. No one in Christianity is perfect, were a bunch of hypocrits, a bunch of messed up people who need a helping hand from a gracious God.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Jesus was a good guy, all the other main characters? Not so much.

This right here.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I've seen Christians state they only attack homosexuals because homosexuals attack them. I've seen Christians rip into Islam without remorse and call Buddhists ghosts etc ...

I'm not saying its always fair to attack Christians but frankly Christians should get used to the idea that when people attack 'them' they're being attacked by their own reputation. You can be a different sort of Christian and not have to take it personally when someone attacks your religion based on things people have done to them in the past.

Just don't take it personally. I don't discuss my religious beliefs except when they're relevant and even people who disagree with them don't seem to have a problem with me.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Christians are not perfect-just forgiven.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by marsvoltafan74

Actually, I have read the KJV Bible, and several other Bibles too, and the criticism aimed at Christians is well deserved in my considered opinion. Christians are against anything fun, and they are anti: gays, abortion, yoga, meditation, psychological counselling, reflexology, acupuncture, tai chi, martial arts, ayurvedic medicine, biofeedback etc. They claim that acupuncture, yoga and meditation invoke a demonic spiritual power since it is Eastern mysticism. They hate Wiccans, Muslims, Pagans, and any other religious faith that is not them.
They claim the only way to get to Heaven is to: Take Jesus, (a made up godman) into your heart and soul, that is, give over your immortal soul to a man who lived a long time ago. The also claim the only way to get a soul is the same way, and by washing in a river or something, and taking in the flesh and blood of the Christian God in a magickal transformation of crackers and grape juice. Christians claim all ET beings are Demons, and that means all of the Creator's created beings on all planets. Ever read this?
"In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you." Many mansions. Many planets. ET is not a Demon, that word means "inner self."

I will not even go into the many crimes of Christianity. Why so many educated and civilized people are leaving Christianity? Christianity is no longer the peace loving, accepting religion it once was. Doctrine trumps faith now. Fundamentalists have affected all of the Christian world. Do unto others is really far more important that issues that Christians have become fixated on like homosexuals and abortion. Answer your question fully, OP?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Many people have made up their minds on what they believe so perhaps the harvest is upon us.

I can see how there is more hatred toward Christians now than I have ever seen it before, especially in the U.S., which used to be a God loving Country. It is getting increasing harder to be a Christian. Every day, your faith gets tested by those who don't believe and more people are choosing to abanden the faith due to the pressure or their anger at God. The Bible says that those who keep the faith until the end will receive the crown of life.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by prophecywatcher]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by marsvoltafan74

How about this one "I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them

This is a nice little piece of advice,

We are now well into 5 pages of yet more christian attention seeking with not a hint of a conspiracy to speak of and no sign of the thread being moved to BTS.

Should an atheist write a thread criticizing Christianity hell breaks loose, the OPs are condemned for hating christianity or christians etc and the mods come down on them like a ton of bricks imposing posting bans like confetti.

So in future perhaps christians could take a little advice from their godman and "do good to those that they allege hate them instead of trying to get the atheists views or opinions quashed.

It is interesting to note that one of the most religious countries on earth alleged by christians to be founded on christian principles, is probably the most violent nation on earth.
This same "christian" nation trots around the globe killing anyone that would even question them decimating entire countries and murdering millions . So much for doing good to those you hate eh.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join