It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Deletes Suspicious Photos From Archive

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

This makes the third time I know of that NASA pulled and replaced images that people were discussing online.

You know they do it because they care about us.

They just want us to not become confused and they care about the appearance of the images so they do these things to help us in that regard.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Thamelas

very nice work and good catch, we must endeavor to catch them in there deceitful ways,and tricks, for if we do not how would we tell a lie from the truth.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
That FTP site is updated constantly with the images requested from pages like this one.

I suppose they have a limit on the number of files available at a time or just a time limit for each photo to be on that site, after that they are removed.

I think I was once fooled by that procedure, but I am not sure.

PS: it's funny that this comes from a blog that got their information from TheLivingMoon, that got their information from ATS (they are almost all ATS members).

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

This makes the third time I know of that NASA pulled and replaced images that people were discussing online.

You know they do it because they care about us.

They just want us to not become confused and they care about the appearance of the images so they do these things to help us in that regard.
The second time they did it they admitted the image was edited, they thought "maybe" to cover up a scratch or something, but the NASA person writing the e-mail didn't seem to know for sure if it was really a scratch that caused the editing. Stranger still, is the picture they replaced it with didn't have any scratch, nor any visible editing, so if it was a scratch they were covering up, what happened to the scratch? Maybe they just did a better job of photoshopping on the replaced image?

I used to defend NASA and say they had unedited images available but now I'm not so sure. Even if the reasons for the edits are totally innocent, it does provide good fodder for the conspiracy theorists, especially when the presumed "scratched" photoshopped image is replaced with a scratch-free version.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
That FTP site is updated constantly with the images requested from pages like this one.
Thanks for mentioning that, I was a little confused by their request process but in the context of what you just said it makes sense.

I requested an image and in response to my request they pointed me to the FTP site, I thought it was already there but maybe they add the images as they are requested as you suggest, that would make sense.

Also I would note that the terminator line on the new image probably looks just as fake as the terminator line on the old image, so the EXIF data Phage cited is probably correct, it doesn't sound like they edited the image or the EXIF data since 2003.

Of course that still leaves us with the odd looking terminator line.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

From what I have seen, in NASA sites that are more dedicated to a public relations role have it's not hard to find altered images, but in the science dedicated sites I have never seen any signs of that, so it looks like NASA thinks that people just want to see the pretty pictures and don't mind if they are not truthful.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Has anyone zooomed in on a moon picture that is a personal photo. I would love to see what the light/darkness line looks like

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
At this point in my life I trust nothing that comes from the mouths of any government agency. It seems they are lying more and more and unfortunatley are actually getting away with it. Its getting scary that the public will believe almost anything. Thank god for ppl like us!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by thinline

Do you mean something like this?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Thamelas

They probably upgraded their scanners. That original image looks like a classically faulty scan.

Here's an old scan from me. You can see said artifacts.

a.imageshack.us...

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
it's amazing don't you think we have all these video sites from which we can all watch movies for hours and hours but to watch the moon landings we need to buy DVDs from amazon ? and the most important thing about all this is Apollo 11 missing tapes where are they ? the NASA supporters will say they found them but magnetically erased, I'm sorry but you types of people make me want to puke all over your face and spray in the eye with a red hot chilly

the reason these scums, say they magnetically erased is because they never been to the moon

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I CANNOT believe THIS is "Breaking News"!!! NASA (Never A Straight Answer), has been doctoring photos, FOREVER!
WHY do you think, their radio transmission, were on such a hard to detect, frequency? WHY, was it A FELONY, to even LISTEN, or COPY, radio communications, between astronauts and earth??
Sorry, this is OLD NEWS.
Call me, though, when you get some fresh ANSWERS!!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by thinline

Go to ANY "amateur Astronomy" website. I've been taking photos of the moon, since I was 12- Mmmmm 36 years, now. Unfortunately, to SEE any ARTIFACTS, you would need a big telescope, in LEO. Oh....like HUBBLE????
I have seen amateur pix, of "sprites", jets of color, usually red or green, on the lunar surface. Opinions as to WHAT they are, vary quite a bit!!
BUT- GOOD quality, larger telescopes, have become VERY inexpensive, in the last decade. Buy one- it is a GREAT hobby, and wat to relax!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
NASA's got big problems, first the incredible shrinking budget, and second all the nutcases pouring over every pixel of all the media they've ever produced or put online. It's like those people that scan google earth for stange shadows o ufo's. First with these photos none of you have seen the negatives, have no idea what film or camera was used and know nothing about the analog to digital process that's been used. To magnify a small part of an image and speculate about irregularities is ludicrous. You guys got brains put the comics aside from time to time and check the world out.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I have worked (1984-7), as a professional astronomer, in N. America, and Austrailia. I have been an amateur, since I was about 8.
I've taken, THOUSANDS, of photos, mostly, of the moon.
I have NO EXPLAINATION, for the earth's "jagged" terminator line. It looks VERY odd, to me. I wold have expected SOME deviation from a smoth arc, but NOT much.
Then again- I KNOW that NASA, doctors it's photos, to remove "inconvenient" finds, and sometimes, just to make pretty pictures, for the Morons.
Good Catch, for the OP, but this is really old news. Get ME some funding, I'll build a REAL space ship, and we'll get some answers. (Yes- I have some VERY talented friends, and I've built an airplane- Meh, just like a big model- the hardest part of getting to the moon, is gettig OUT of Earth's gravity well). I would volunteer, for a "one-way" flight, just to do it!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Here's another scan. This one from Keith Laney.
www.keithlaney.net...

The fact is self evident that no matter how much care is taken via whatever cold room and/or other analog storing techniques, as long as the Apollo photos stay on film and are taken out for reproduction every so often they are subject to degradation. After 30+ years of storage the Apollo missions and their photographic richness are fading away towards obscurity. Given the state of modern imaging technology, it is now imperatively time these were digitally preserved in best remaining original quality. It is the goal of Project Free the Apollo Images to help make this a reality This effort would serve three main purposes,

www.keithlaney.net...

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by amodedoma

I TOTALLY disagree- we know EXACTLY, what type of camera's werer used, and what type of film.
NASA, is a political orginization- so, ANYTHING it says, cannot be trusted.
I find your dismissive attitude, insulting. I'VE NEVER read "comic books", I've been a scientist, or mechanical engineer, ALL of my adult life.
What are YOUR bona fides?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

From what I have seen, in NASA sites that are more dedicated to a public relations role have it's not hard to find altered images, but in the science dedicated sites I have never seen any signs of that, so it looks like NASA thinks that people just want to see the pretty pictures and don't mind if they are not truthful.
So do you think there's a version of the image ISD_highres_AS11_AS11-44-6552.TIF on another site somewhere that doesn't have the fake-looking terminator line? We're just looking on the wrong site? Where should we look for the unaltered image?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Since all of the Apollo images are scanned from film there are no "unaltered" images of any of them. I've posted two other scans, neither of which show the terminator noise yet both show differences in saturation and color balance. The only way to see an "unaltered" image is to make a print from the negative. And even then, the exposure will vary.

[edit on 8/7/2010 by Phage]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Unfortunately, for Apollo photos, that's the best site I have found.

At least for now.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join