It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WARNING: Actual philosophy!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TheIrvy

God can't speak, god just holds and loves.
The definition of sin means to miss the mark, original means first, primary. I used the terminology to show how organized religion points.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:13 AM
link   
The infinite, all powerful, all knowing, all capable creator of everything that is or will be or has been.... can't speak? How do you know this, oh knower of God?

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheIrvy

Originally posted by Neo_Serf
reply to post by TheIrvy

...it follows that within inifinity perfection does exist

OK, with you there, infinity logically should include perfection somewhere.

and the only perfection that can exist is infinity itself because only infinity can be without lacking.

A fire engine is red, therefore a red rose petal must be a fire engine.

We have no concept of perfection or infinity, therefore we have no frame of reference to say anything about the only perfection that can exist.

I'm sorry, what now? You just went weeeellll away from logic and just threw something in there. Our state of imperfection show us that we have chosen to be imperfect? How exactly does it do that?

Logic tells me that I am incomplete. Logic tells me that infinity, by definition, must be, otherwise it would be finite. Therefor if my percived existence is spawed by infinity, which cannot be acted upon, and I, as a finite being, can be, what other conclusion can I come to other than my completeness has chosen for me to be imcomplete? If I make a rat run through a maze with a specific outcome in mind, could not the logical rat deduce that I've made the maze for a purpose?

We chose to be imperfect, to experience good and evil, therefor the question should not be 'why has God done this to us?' but rather 'why have I chosen to experience this?'

We have no hard data on why we are here, no memory of being anywhere before, no way of knowing whether or not we came here voluntarily or against our will. There are philosophies that argue both sides.

Nothing is the opposite of infinity, absolute nothing. You just stuck lack of experience in there because it suits your philosophy, there's no link we can draw between experience and infinity. It's like saying my socks are the opposite of Tuesday.

Id like to think I'm not married to one idea or the other. My experience with infinity is a personal one and could very well be a hallucination. But so could this conversation, so I guess I'm forced to stick with believing this is air I'm breathing. Having *felt* the infinite, all I can say is that it goes on forever~ Its startling to actually feel the wonderment in the question 'why is there anything?' and to go from there. Obviously my sensing and reasoning needs refinement, but the bedrock of all my thinking rests on first 'that all exists' and secondly 'i dont know anything about it.'

So I welcome the critisism you offer as it sharpens my blade, as I hope everyone interested in such matters would.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TheIrvy

God is peace, stillness and space. This peace is who you are, what you are. The system of language and mind is the prison in which most people live.
How noisy is your mind? Does the bickering mind not drive you mad?
This is the suffering, the noise.
God is silence. Rest in peace.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

I wish my mind would STFU sometimes, this is for sure.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Neo_Serf

I share that hope.

You can only hope to have any chance of finding something close to an answer when you're prepared to look through ALL possibilities. Once you start ruling things out of consideration, you're reducing your available data and missing out potentially important pieces of the puzzle.

If you decide that God cannot exist, and then go on to try to explain the existence of everything without him, you're never going to do that if it turns out that he was involved. If you base your beliefs on the divinity and infallibility of the Bible, you're in serious trouble if it turns out to be a selection of ancient texts written by man for many different reasons, and then falsely marked as "the word of God".

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   

We are born into a dream of separation. We chat endless rubbish to ourselves in our heads, yet is there really more than one of us, who are we talking to?
If you want it to stop, there is a way!
Have you heard of non-duality? It means not two!

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Itisnowagain

We are born into a dream of separation. We chat endless rubbish to ourselves in our heads, yet is there really more than one of us, who are we talking to?
If you want it to stop, there is a way!
Have you heard of non-duality? It means not two!

What are you basing this on? This is just poetry.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Non duality is very real, you should check it out, amazing stuff.
If you are interested, you will check out Jac O'Keefe, Neelam, Jeff Foster, John sherman all on youtube.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TheIrvy

Whenever the mouth opens, all it ever is is poetry.
Beautiful.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Have you never wondered who you are talking to in your head? Who`s this me, i, myself? Which one is in charge and which one knows best? Why all this arguing that goes on? Find out for yourself.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
The only reason anyone talks about god is because we are not happy. We want god to make it all better. Please god make it better, oh god why??
We speak to god and say 'it's not ok'!!
If we stop complaining and say 'thank you', we will not be saying 'this is not good enough'. Nothing will change, the world will carry on as before. Yet you will change because you will be at peace.
When it is realized that there is no-one to complain to (in the head), the complaining will stop.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Of course I've wondered about the nature of consciousness, but that doesn't mean that we can just decide what the answer is and try to convince other people we're right. It's a guess, maybe a good guess, maybe not, we don't know. Therefore it's a theory, a belief, a religion, but it's not a fact, it's a supposition.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TheIrvy

Cognition(cognize) is not a belief. There are many who know god, but it should not be believed. Never believe in anything. Always check for yourself, you are the only authority.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by Itisnowagain]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Complete and perfect now, not tomorrow, not when, but now. Always now.
When it is really seen that only now exists, when else can you become?
When the 'seeking to become' stops, it will be obvious. When seeking stops the seeker vanishes.
This is peace.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

I can't even describe how insane the notion of ONE JUDGE UNDERMINING AN ENTIRE STATE'S POPULATION is.

It's the difference between a democracy and a republic, thought everyone knew that by now.

You could say evil exists so that we can fix it, whatever "evil" is. I think if we can fix evil, that'd make us worthwhile to keep around.

[edit on 7-8-2010 by ghaleon12]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

The evil is thinking that anything needs fixing.
When it is seen that all is perfect, there is no room for evil.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Study Advaita Vedanta.

Peter Kingsley on youtube.

Nonduality.

Then come back here and reformulate your hypothesis. Because until you study the three above, your coming at all of this with a limited perspective.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I find it quite funny that this discussion is based on human creation. Discussed with language. Language that came from who knows where and taught by who knows what.
I think there is a big difference between the creator of the different species of humans on this planet and the creator of the universes. Who's to say whoever spoke 'i am the creator and the destroyer of all things' really was telling the truth. Could it be much deeper than that? Very possible.

Whoever taught us language could of told us anything. Language to me is a big missing link, because with all my being i cannot fathom one day we just started speaking a different means of communication, if we are natural to this planet. One reason why i have trouble believing this is because of our empathy and the ability to read emotions from body language, signals from the body and telepathy on different types of plants and fungi that cause extra-sensory perception.

Other cultures in different "non western" countries could definitely tell you a story about their ancestors because so many of them laugh at the idea of evolving from an ape.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Peter Kingsley is just another story teller, believing in things, that may or may not have happened.
Where as non-duality and adviata is not about a second hand story. Non-duality is the experience.

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join