It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Deadly Virus Found In Upstate NY

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   

New Deadly Virus Found In Upstate NY

www.uticaod.com

VIENNA — Tests found 28 mosquitoes collected in the northwestern Oneida County town of Vienna carried a virus potentially deadly to both humans and horses, the Oneida County Health Department said this morning.

The mosquitoes tested positive for Eastern equine encephalitis (EEE), last reported in the county four years ago. At that time, the death of a pony was attributed to EEE, resulting in the aerial spraying of a 5-mile radius around the farm where the animal died.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This is horrible! Has anyone else had this in their area recently? What is causing this virus?How was this introduced or started?Is this only happening in this area of NY?
Anyone have any answers? I live very close to this area of NY and spend alot of time outside. I really would like to be able to prevent myself or any of my family members from getting biten by one of these infected bugs.Sprays dont always work not any other options to help prevent when you live in an area surrounded with trees.

www.uticaod.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by KrillsAngelWings

I think we had a death from it in Florida this year. It may have been a horse death though, I don't remember for sure. Off to search!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Florida Department of Ag EEE site

Eastern Equine Encephalitis is a disease of concern for the Florida horse community. The state averages over 70 reported cases of Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE) each year. In years when conditions favor the spread of the EEE, the number of reported cases can exceed 200, with over 90% of affected horses dying.

EEE is a viral disease that affects the central nervous system of many species of animals but is most often detected in birds and horses. The disease is transmitted to horses, and sometimes humans, by mosquitoes that have become infected after feeding on birds, which are circulating the virus. This is known as the mosquito/bird transmission cycle. It is important to remember that the virus is not transmitted directly from an infected horse to other horses or people.

So it is not transmitted "directly" from horses to humans, but it does infect both species, so I wonder how it decides to make the jump.

Apparently their is a vaccine for it, and of course they recommend normal mosquito prevention techniques. Use DEET. Use Picaridin and Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus. Also stay indoors during peak mosquito times. Feed horses in stables during peak mosquito times.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
well see for your self on this one,type in "EEE" in your search eng and it will give you the specifics, 3 in 10 will die from it no cure spread by mosquitoes, kills horse and humans, no cure, could be the 1/3 of man kind plague?

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Thank you for this! On my way to search n read up as much as i can on this.

www.cdc.gov...

[edit on 6-8-2010 by KrillsAngelWings]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Oh gosh i hope it is not that!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Oh god if this becomes Mad Equine virus or the Equine flu i'm going to go crazy little kids are going to start singing Old Mcdonald had swine flu, and go through all the barn yard flu viruses.

What has the world come to...

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Xiamara

We had Equine flu here in Australia a couple of years ago. Horses died as well as a few humans but it wasn't anything to panic over.

IRM

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrillsAngelWings
reply to post by getreadyalready

Thank you for this! On my way to search n read up as much as i can on this.

www.cdc.gov...

[edit on 6-8-2010 by KrillsAngelWings]

This is another good reason to continue the bio research into the
annihilation of the mosquito.

I know that sounds horrible of me to advocate the destruction of
a species, but it is a carrier for many diseases and I cannot really
see a good reason for them to exist.

They have been researching genetic modification of the mosquito.

They have made some major head way.

They have created the malaria proof mosquito, I say take the
next step and make the earth mosquito free.

www.independent.co.uk...

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Ex_MislTech]

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Yeah, I heard about something like this from CNN or FOX, I don't remember which, but it makes the jump from horse to human or vice versa through mosquitos. Pretty scary stuff. Gotta keep those yellow oily things from Lowes around this year.

posted on Aug, 7 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

I totally agree. West Nile virus, Dengue fever, now EEE. What's next? I'm sure the bats or whatever eats mosquitoes can find other bugs for their diet. There's enough bugs out there.

I can't see any reason for the mosquito to exist. I'm spraying next year even if I have to hire a crop duster.

join