It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian wildfires and another Chernobyl event

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

I do think that the Russian government will do everything and anything necessary to keep the fire away from the sarcophagus because they do know the shape it's in.

I doubt it, as Chernobyl is in Ukraine and not Russia. Russia have more than 10,000 soldiers already fighting their own wildfires. And they have big problems doing so. 89 oil refineries are threatened by wildfires. A Russian naval base has also been destroyed by wildfires.

"A Russian naval base near Moscow was also destroyed by fire. According to media reports, 56,000 tons worth of military technology, including helicopters and airplanes went up in flames"

If fires are actually threatening the Chernobyl sarcophagus, I guess Ukraine will have to fight these flames, not Russia. Just saying...

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I'm starting to believe in the book of Revelations. Not because I think these are the end times, but because anyone with enough analytical skills 2000 years back could have followed the human condition (as they observed it) to its logical and expected conclusion.

The End Times could be anytime, but they happen to be now, don't they? It seems as though it's a self-fulfilling prophecy in that the more people stress, the more anxiety (and what is anxiety but a yearning/apprehension for what will come) that bubbles up collectively, the more we do things to make sure such outcomes come to pass.

I think the only way to battle "End Times" is to shut them out entirely - live in the "now" as the Buddhists would say. Forget the past, forget the future, they're figments of our imagination. The only time that ever exists (that ever has existed/that ever will exist) is the present. Things only change because of Earth revolving around the Sun, evolution of creatures, erosion of mountains, degradation, personal growth and so forth. The present is still the stage.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Wow just in time for the gulf of mexico disaster to wrap up now we are back to nuclear waste. Gotta love it , sure does keep one on their toes. What a wonderful world we have destroyed in just one lifetime huh?

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
abnormal fires is dangerous not only for Chernobyl zone but for others (industrial, nuclear plants, military) too -- we just can keep hope Mother - Nature will change Her mood to good.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

If fires are actually threatening the Chernobyl sarcophagus, I guess Ukraine will have to fight these flames, not Russia. Just saying...

that's not problem of Ukraine -- it's f@cking trouble for the World

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

I really do doubt that the Russians will leave it up to the Ukraine to handle this if it comes down to it. After all, remember that Chernobyl was in the USSR at the time under Russian control, also, being so close to Russia now, I'd really find it hard to believe that they wouldn't see any benefit to them to help stop the fires.

Maybe I should have said, if it comes down to the sarcophagus being in eminent danger, I guarantee that Ukraine, the Russians and any other government needed would be willing to help. All governments know what went down at Chernobyl and what's left there to be exposed to the world.

[edit on 6/8/2010 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Russia don't care, believe me. They are building new, more advanced nuclear missiles for god sake. They have the money from oil and they have constantly said its Ukraine's problem. Now if Ukraine wants to bend over and kiss Putin's backside then maybe, but they would have to toss out the idea of NATO and the west all together.

The only thing that would get the Russians to act is prevailing winds. If they think they are in the clear, Europe is screwed.

This new containment dome should be a Russian-Ukrainian Job Stimulus program. Get people to work and get it done.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Ok so this place is going to stay contaminated for 200,000 years.
Why?
Nagasaki and Hiroshima bounced back in mere months.
So What exactly is the difference?

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone
Ok so this place is going to stay contaminated for 200,000 years.
Why?
Nagasaki and Hiroshima bounced back in mere months.
So What exactly is the difference?

Nagasaki and Hiroshima do not have 100 kilograms of plutonium sitting right where they left it. Chernobyl does. That's why the containment vessel is so important to protect.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Well, I found this: 6 Countries Join Russian Firefighters

Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych canceled a Crimean vacation to personally oversee preventive measures against fires that may spread to eastern Ukraine from Russia.

The Ukrainian Emergency Situations Ministry denied reports that fires had reached a restrictive zone around the Chernobyl nuclear power station.

Do we believe the Ukrainian government on this? We've certainly not been given the whole story before concerning Chernobyl. I hope they're telling the truth this time but it sure is hard to believe what governments say on this subject.

France, Germany, Poland, Bulgaria, Italy, Armenia, Ukraine, Belarus, and Finland have all chipped in to help now.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Very, very few areas aroundthe chernoybl disaster will "never see life again".

Most of Pripyat and the surronding area are filled with wildlife, and not just grasses, trees, and some large animals including wolves populate the area.

The major radioactive pollutant outside of the actual plant is Cesium 137. Cesium 137 has a half life of ~30 years. Although it is highly toxic in small doses, the chemical dye Prussian Blue can be used to treat ingestion of it.

View this chart of the polluntants here. (I did not make that chart)

About 4000 people still live and work in the area. They recive about 1 x-ray of radiation every 2 hours in Pripyat.

The only real chance of a disaster here is if the fire actually reaches the power plant and/or the close surrounding area.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Doubleagent]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doubleagent
The only real chance of a disaster here is if the fire actually reaches the power plant and/or the close surrounding area.

You are correct as that was the point of this thread. Thank you.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I hope this hasn't already been posted - I wanted to know why the fires could not be redirected away from Chernobyl? Also, how close are they now? I would do the research myself but have had a busy day, was hoping you could give me info as I am interested in following this thread. Thank you

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Seems like you're tying in extra info. The video didn't even mention the containment equipment used at Chernobyl. I can see how the fires might disturb the radioactive particles in the ground though.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

I hope the fires would be redirected and I feel sure that if the they are headed that way that they would do everything in their power to avert them. However, to answer your question... I've been trying all day to find a map or something of the present progress of the fires. I haven't found anything. Any help would be appreciated.

All I've gotten is the RT video and the Ukrainian president canceling a vacation to: (link posted above)

Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych canceled a Crimean vacation to personally oversee preventive measures against fires that may spread to eastern Ukraine from Russia.

The Ukrainian Emergency Situations Ministry denied reports that fires had reached a restrictive zone around the Chernobyl nuclear power station.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot this one (also posted above):

In neighboring Ukraine, also suffering from heat and lack of rain, a wildfire on Thursday was within three kilometers (two miles) of a military base in the Dnirpropetrovsk region, local news reports said. The regional emergencies ministry said only that a 300-hectare (750-acre) fire was close to being extinguished. In all, wildfires in eastern Ukraine have destroyed about 1,000 hectares (2,500 acres).

Almost 600 fires were reported burning in Russia on Thursday, mostly in the western stretches of the country.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I haven't seen the area around the sarcophagus, but hopefully there isn't any growth around there to fuel the fire. Let's hope not. Does anyone has photos showing the surrounding area?

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Chernobyl may not be as contaminated as you think.

Here's my favorite website on Chernobyl.

Kiddofspeed - GHOST TOWN - Chernobyl Pictures -
Elena's Motorcyle Ride through Chernobyl

She rode her motorcycle into Chernobyl and took pictures. It is really amazing, and reading her story as she narrates the pictures is fascinating.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12
Seems like you're tying in extra info. The video didn't even mention the containment equipment used at Chernobyl. I can see how the fires might disturb the radioactive particles in the ground though.

Oh, I absolutely am tying in extra info. As I said in the OP:

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman
After watching the video about how the Russian wildfires could reach the Chernobyl area, please read what I have written below it. There is much more to this that what the video describes. It is my belief that ground contamination is the least of our worries. The metal sarcophagus is the real danger and it's in terrible shape already.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Don't forget Chernobyl is russian for "Wormwood" all you Revelation scholars....

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Like, as in, very close proximity. The only bad thing that happens if most of the city burns is I just get really pissed, because you can do tours, and I really want to do a tour. (I'm only 16, and most places require you to be 18 to do a tour)

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Doubleagent]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join