It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Private browsing modes in browsers often fail

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

The private-browsing modes are supposed to allow users to visit a website without leaving any trace on their computers, and yet Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari frequently leave tracks, according to the research, which is scheduled to be presented at next week's Usenix Security Symposium in Washington DC. The makers of those browsers — Microsoft, Mozilla, Google, and Apple respectively — often hail the offerings as a way to enhance privacy when using shared computers.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Source: www.theregister.co.uk...
Study (PDF): crypto.stanford.edu...

A false sense of privacy is worse than no privacy at all. Shall we initiate class action lawsuits against those major player on the base of false publicity? Add to that the recent statements from Google CEO, a company known for it's "Don't do evil" motto :

"If I look at enough of your messaging and your location, and use artificial intelligence, we can predict where you are going to go," Schmidt said, adding unnervingly.

"Show us 14 photos of yourself and we can identify who you are. You think you don't have 14 photos of yourself on the internet? You've got Facebook photos!"

Schmidt told delegates at the conference that the availability of information increased convenience, and enabled society to more effectively combat anti-social and criminal behaviour - but his talk raised some unsettling issues.

Source: www.thinq.co.uk...

The trend is clear: our digital life is going to be tracked with increasing detail in the near future.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Whilst I completely agree with the spirit of your post and the general concern on ATS about net-freedom...

I think that Private Browsing is to stop your partner/housemates etc from knowing you've been bad

I've never assumed Private Browsing would actually hide what I do when online... especially not from places that get visited. I mean if I visited ATS in Private mode, it would still know I'm here right?

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
As far as I remember, the private browsing mode was designed so that it would not create a local history on the computer of what web sites the user had visited. And that was it.

When did we go from that into thinking a browser doesnt leave traces on the internet? There is no way around it. You need a IP address to communicate with servers and that IP address will be stored in logs for every site you visit.

Of course there are ways to get another IP than the IP your ISP gives you, so its still possible to be somewhat anonymous on the net.

But its interesting to know that Google support the plans of Illuminati of tracking people so they no longer can speak out with anonymity on the web. Hopefully people will find ways around this.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I never taught the "stealth" browser capability would hide me from the servers on Internet. But I am appalled by the fact the browsers keep information despise enabling those modes. Many scripts around Internet is sniffing in your history to profile you for ad purpose, and I don't like it.

Ever wondered how can most of online ads are targeting stuff you like? That is why I like the stealth mode. I hate marketers using shoddy techniques to sell us crap we do not need.

In a sense, it is false publicity and it's against the law. We shall prevail!

top topics

join