It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US court denies parents custody of Hitler and sisters

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   

US court denies parents custody of Hitler and sisters

www.bbc.co.uk

A US appeals court has ruled a couple who gave their children Nazi-inspired names should not regain custody, citing the risk of serious injury to them.

Adolf Hitler Campbell, 4, and his sisters, JoyceLynn Aryan Nation, 3, and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie, 2, were taken from their New Jersey home in 2009.

The panel found that the parents, who both suffer from unspecified physical and psychological disabilities, had "recklessly created a risk of serious injury to their children by failing to protect the children from harm and failing to acknowledge and treat their disabilities".

The judge
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
3-year-old Hitler can't get name on cake

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
This is mad. Actually it doesn't surprise me at all. So many issues...

In my idea this is child abuse, these kids will be open to all sorts of bullying. I think the same about parents who allow their children to get fat.

I wonder how out of the question changing the children's names would be?

The parents are said to be psychologically disabled in some way, a phrase I haven't heard before but I guess it's PC. However there is the problem that they won't receive help because they won't acknowledge their disability.

So the children lose their parents and the parents lose their children, this is bad. But do the parents have it in their minds to have children anyway or do they think what they have doen is not bad at all?

Are they using the children as toys in their hate game?

I'm so confuzzled with this one.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I'll try and find the study/article to link to, but it has been shown in that study that those children who have been given names such a Hitler, Satan, or other socially-odd names have a far higher chance of becoming runaways due to bullying or being ostracised because of it.

Naming your newborn 'Adolf Hitler' is just setting up for a childhood of taunts and bullying, yet these selfish parents wish to impose that upon their offspring.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The system might not work all the time - and God knows it doesn't - but this time, it really did. I hope their new parents rename them and give them the regular life they deserve.

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Careful people, you have to always stay the course
If you believe in a philosophy you should stay the course and know that there are no exceptions, accomodating exceptions allows for incrementalism.
Today you say ok yes for this and then one day it's use as a precedence for something else and it just keeps on growing.

It is not the govt.'s role to say "you can't name your kids this".
Force a social counsellor on the family or something
But there is no law saying you cannot name your kids adolf hitler
It's horrible horrible parenting, no doubt about it
But denying them custody is wrong based on a decision they as parents made.

Careful people... remember to stay the course!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
um, you should be able to name your kids whatever you want. you made them. also, to the guy who said "letting your kids get fat" is child abuse is absurd.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I'm all for rehabilitation over punishment but I think if we way up giving people freedom against potential harm coming to children, and if we look at the effects of not giving these people freedom and what it achieves then in my opinion it's ok to take action. Although I think the action should be some sort of rehabilitation.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:13 AM
link   
***WARNING: Minimal Radical Thinking Ahead***

Disclaimer: By no means do I condone the parents action.

Message: I think it as harmful to lie to children about Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. That is just conditioning them to accept the lies of currency, religious dogma and patriotism later in life.

These parents took their kids future the same way that every other parent continues the indoctrination rituals of making their child "normal" and setting them up for "success" in the "real world".

Peace

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I am on the fence on this one. There are 2 issues that are present here that the courts will need to resolve, and the first is the freedom of choice, where a person can name their child anything they so desire. That is a basic right of the parent. But on the other hand, there is not only the social stigma of names. Many people will often choose a family name, and often will ensure that the family name and line continues. But in this modern day and age, with everything that has gone on in the past history, there are some names that carry a social stigma, that goes beyond reason, and where those who would bear that name could be assulted, if not even killed because of their name. There are blood realatives of the real Adolf Hitler that live in the United States of America, though they do not admit to it, and tend to keep very, very quiet about such, as to admit such would bring about a danger to them and their small family. They take no pride in such, and all of them believe the family name and line needs to die, as they are ashamed of there distant realative.
I believe that the names that the parents chose for their own children was very cruel and attaches a social stigma to the children. It should never have been put on the birth certificate and someone should have questioned, and even explained the consequences to the parents. There is one other name that people tend to avoid, as the social stigma with that name would ensure a cruel and hard life for anyone with that name and it is: Judas.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
what about naming your kid Dick, Fanny, Willy ect should the parents of childeren whith those names have there childeren taken away because the child's name is open to bullying?

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
i am sure i have pade a post in a prior thread [ when the story broke ] , but my response is the same :

if the idiot parents are so enamoured with nazism , why havent they changed thier own names ?

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by danielhanson420
what about naming your kid Dick, Fanny, Willy ect should the parents of childeren whith those names have there childeren taken away because the child's name is open to bullying?

I hear you here but I think the connotations of immense hate towards jews and black people found in these names are far worse than Fanny or Dick, which indeed are funny and risque but not highly insulting to many people.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I agree. I find it repulsive that they named their children this, but if this is the only reason for taking them, and they did not cite the undefined disabilities as impacting the decision in a list of why they impacted their parenting, the only issue is the naming (which isn't illegal), then we're in a very special case, it sounds like something that even has been set up. Its more than a slippery slope.

That being said, the amount of disregard and lack of love they displayed for the children in naming them is very alarming. These children are at high risk.

Another way of seeing this is, alchohol isn't illegal either. But some parents are very unfit due to severe alchohol abuse. And children have been rightly removed.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
i am sure i have pade a post in a prior thread [ when the story broke ] , but my response is the same :

if the idiot parents are so enamoured with nazism , why havent they changed thier own names ?

Good point... I guess the answer lies in the fact that the parents are 'idoits'. It's a hard subject here really because the idiots are idiots due to mental illness by the sounds of things... I wonder, and this is pretty hardcore for my brain to be juggling, should people with a certain level of mental illness be allowed to have children? They could be open to neglect or abuse. It's a horrible thing to say but I guess these people should be vetted or something right wing like that!

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by and14263

i agree ! it's one of those double eged swords really. i see no winners in this situation.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by and14263
It's a horrible thing to say but I guess these people should be vetted or something right wing like that!

You need a licence to prove you are fit to own a gun, drive a car, even own a dog, yet any halfwit can drop their pants and make a child.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by zroth

***WARNING: Minimal Radical Thinking Ahead***

Disclaimer: By no means do I condone the parents action.

Message: I think it as harmful to lie to children about Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. That is just conditioning them to accept the lies of currency, religious dogma and patriotism later in life.

These parents took their kids future the same way that every other parent continues the indoctrination rituals of making their child "normal" and setting them up for "success" in the "real world".

Peace

I wanted to bring light to this post. I am in total agreement, if we did not do the psychopaths job for them we would get free. The majority of parents ascribe to these lies and a false sense of pride established from compliance.

I agree with ModernAcademia it is a slippery slope to incrementalism.

[edit on 6-8-2010 by ISHAMAGI]

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Do I agree with the names? No.

Do I think its wrong that the government deems itself responsible for parenting other peoples kids? Absolutely!

Freedom of speech. The government has absolutely no authority on the matter. Even as vile as this is.

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   
to give your child a name like that is abuse, I am sorry but thats the TRUTH

I am all for freedom

but you cant USE your child like a toy, he is not a toy, he will have a life, and he will be hurt because of that, since our society will judge him

posted on Aug, 6 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Maybe neo Adolf Hitler will grow up to be the kindest, most accepting, lovable, meekest, complete antithesis of the infamous Adolf? He may chooses to devote his life to fight bigotry and intolerance; he will of course encounter those things wherever he goes and have a first-hand account of what it must be like to be hated for something as simple as a name or race. Hopefully the state has or is planning to change their names to something like John, Jane, and Jennifer.

I do feel sorry for them for the pain and suffering they will face or have already endured.

Will the state take that famous couple's child away because they named him/her Apple, Butterfly, Moondust, Dweezil?

Sometimes names don't matter too much. There was once an outstanding NFL DB named Harry Colon.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join