It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Better breathing through implants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2003 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Actor Christopher Reeve, paralyzed since he broke his neck in a riding accident more than 8 years ago, has undergone a minor surgery to help him breathe on his own without a respirator.

Respirators were the nightmare devices of the 1950's and 1960's polio epidemics; huge tubes where machines kept your lungs going while isolating your body from everything. This lung assist device is something fairly new; Reeve will be the 12th person to have the implant.

In a sense, he's making himself a guinea pig for a lot of disabled people. He's still famous, still (apparently) wealthy and can afford and obtain help. And I don't think he's ever lost hompe.

Story link here:
story.news.yahoo.com... l=story2&cid=502&ncid=716&e=7&u=/ap/20030313/ap_on_en_mo/reeve_operation

posted on Mar, 15 2003 @ 11:35 AM
link   
In my book, his courage in the face of adversity & his hope that life can be made better than what fate has dealt out & his efforts to make it so is what really makes him a Superman...

posted on Mar, 16 2003 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I think his wife is an incredibly strong woman, think about it.

posted on Mar, 16 2003 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightDStroyer
In my book, his courage in the face of adversity & his hope that life can be made better than what fate has dealt out & his efforts to make it so is what really makes him a Superman...

Very well put MD!

I think he can be an inspiration to all of us and make people realize that they shoudn't take for granted all the simple everyday things we do. He really is a "Superman", and as MK said, credit his wife for sticking by his side.

posted on Mar, 17 2003 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by MKULTRA

I think his wife is an incredibly strong woman, think about it.

No kidding! A big buncha "thumbs up!" for her, too!

new topics

top topics

join