It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China overtakes Japan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

China has overtaken Japan to become the world's second-largest economy, the fruit of three decades of rapid growth that has lifted hundreds of millions of people out of poverty.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:53 AM
link   
So soon? Didn't experts used to predict it will take decades? This could be another demoralizing reality for the already struggling Japanese.

www.reuters.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I knew this would happen sooner or sooner. Even a lot of people want to be critical of China's economy. No one can doubt the advantages China's influence to China's growing corporate influence.
Here's a great book for understand China's influence around the globe.
www.amazon.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I don't see anything wrong if china embraces a little bit of capitalism, just a bit. What I see is china lifting its population from lower class to middle class, which is of course a good thing. Congrats to them.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

What's weird is that mixed economics is becoming the in thing of the decade. Brazil, China, U.S.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

If that type of economic system really works in lifting people out of poverty, I'm fine by that.
Although I'm a capitalist myself, I see no problem in supporting some of social security net such as unemployment benefits, as long as the particular government has the budget for it.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
That explains why Japans leader stepped down.

2nd

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
So does this mean one day we'll be making all that cheap plastic landfill bound garbage?

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Your_Number_One_Fan
So does this mean one day we'll be making all that cheap plastic landfill bound garbage?

I thought we were doing that already?!?

We just don't use lead based paint hehe!

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
they may have beat out Japan but the reality is Japan wasn't that difficult to surpass in the first place. Japan has been in economic trouble for quite some time.

i think china is a paper tiger. it has empty cities not widely publicized, they had a $585bn bailout a while back that hasn't improved much (similar to us), and their middle class isn't growing fast enough to support it's economy. compound that with possibly untruthful reporting from china itself on its financial standings and you the very same conditions as the CGI olympics graphics that fooled us all. (hahaha - china is as plastic and hollow as the products they ship)

its only a matter of time until we see it crumble as the truths are reveled.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by normal_human_being

The US and the rest of the world will probably crumble first before they do.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Well, China's population is almost than ten times Japan's, so its not exactly unexpected. And some massive percentage of Japan is retired or about to retire.

Personally, I don't trust the stats on GDP for China, Japan, the US...or just about any other country, for that matter. Remember way back in prehistoric days when they used to talk about "GNP" as the standard measurement for a country's wealth? That got to be too embarrasing for various people and various reasons, so the moved the finish line and started talking about "GDP." And the metrics which make up both of these are heavily massaged and manipulated everywhere.

Future of China: A mass of poverty-stricken people living in misery amid a toxic, ruined landscape while a miniscule portion of elites live in heavily gated, fortress-like luxury compounds and have more in common with the elites from other nations than they do with their own countrymen.

Future of Japan: A mass of poverty-stricken people living in misery amid a toxic, ruined landscape while a miniscule portion of elites live in heavily gated, fortress-like luxury compounds and have more in common with the elites from other nations than they do with their own countrymen.

Future of USA: A mass of poverty-stricken people living in misery amid a toxic, ruined landscape while a miniscule portion of elites live in heavily gated, fortress-like luxury compounds and have more in common with the elites from other nations than they do with their own countrymen.

Future of India: A mass of poverty-stricken people living in misery amid a toxic, ruined landscape while a miniscule portion of elites live in heavily gated, fortress-like luxury compounds and have more in common with the elites from other nations than they do with their own countrymen.

Future of Russia: A mass of poverty-stricken people living in misery amid a toxic, ruined landscape while a miniscule portion of elites live in heavily gated, fortress-like luxury compounds and have more in common with the elites from other nations than they do with their own countrymen.

Future of Europe: A mass of poverty-stricken people living in misery amid a toxic, ruined landscape while a miniscule portion of elites live in heavily gated, fortress-like luxury compounds and have more in common with the elites from other nations than they do with their own countrymen.

Future of everywhere else: A mass of poverty-stricken people living in misery amid a toxic, ruined landscape while a miniscule portion of elites live in heavily gated, fortress-like luxury compounds and have more in common with the elites from other nations than they do with their own countrymen.

See how that works?

[edit on 8/2/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Looks like where I'm from. Living in a sea of self-unentitled simpletons is paradise, I tell ya.

new topics

top topics

join