It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spider Crab Sheds Skin

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

In order to film it I guess, I was done by time lapse, it's kinda hard to let a guy swim after it for x hours in a big fishtank or in the sea.

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Ooh.. I wonder if the crab was actually stressed during that however, being that it was entirely defenseless after that; surely in the wild they sneak away into a nook or a cavity to do this?

Otherwise hello mr fish, don't peck at my nice fresh pink flesh, ouch..

I just wish I could get crabs out of a shell that way when eating them. One large feast, no hassle..

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
My kids were disgusted at watching that thing "poop itself out". They had to watch it over and over and over. Weird find! Glad to have educated my kids of such things. Thanks.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Wow! That was amazing!

I love watching my tarantulas molt, but i've never seen a crab do it before. To witness one of that size would be awesome!

I always re-shape my T molts back into spider shape so they look like live spiders again. I wonder if they do that with the spider crab exoskeleton? It's a great way to educate people who are too freaked out to hold the real thing.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
In insects the exoskeleton is made up of a protein called chitin pronounced kite-en. They also have little pores in them so they may absorb oxygen because of their book lungs. Insects do no breath like you or me, rather absorb oxygen which is beneficial in a time of time high oxygen i.e prehistoric times, now however with the lower oxygen levels it is a detrimental fact towards size restriction. Someone asked earlier about multi-cellular mitosis for asexual reproduction, mitosis is a cloning method for reproduction. Mitosis is asexual reproduction which I dont imagine is possible for multiple copies at one time, only meiosis allows for that but those are sex cells lacking sister chromatids, only 13 chromosomes. So no this does not prove much, just how difficult it is for a crab to break out of if shell haha bad joke

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 04:14 AM
link   
wow thanks for this, I didn't even know they did that. The normal crabs you find on beaches don't, as far as I know, shed their shells. This puts this crab one more notch towards a spider, because a lot of spiders do shed their skins.

The spider crab is from the family of crabs called Majidae, if you google this, you'll find many more facinating crabs.

So many people poo poo the ocean as being a lifeless airless pit, which to humans maybe it is, but out of everywhere on Earth, the oceans facinate me the most.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

I had no idea that was the case! I guess that's what I get for not being a crustacean eater lol. I never knew "soft shell" was such a literal term! I love learning things like this. It makes me feel like I'm a little boy back in elementary school watching a nature video and seeing something for the very first time. I literally had no idea this happened!

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
You should see an arrow crab molt.

We used to have one in my reef tank.

They are much creepier i will have to find a video and post here

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by kenny71

LOL I just kept getting the feeling it was like...

"A LITTLE HELP HERE! Jeesh your just gonna watch?"

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   
That was totally freakin cool. I used to have a spider crab in my marine aqurium (when I had one) that I got out the beach. You can find them at most gulf beaches in my area if your lucky.

I let it free though cuz it kept knocking over my rockscape. They kind fun to watch just move about.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I always wondered how they shed their shell intact. Truly amazing !

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
There are animals doing the exact same things on our skin and perhaps inside the folds of atoma. Life and business everywhere, just like here.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by kenny71

Some times Nature is really freaking awesome, nice find OP Keep us posted if you find any other cool stuff.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Does it have any feelings for left over body?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Poor crab cant get naked without a camera fixated on 24/7 haha

But seriously.. I wonder how long they had been recording to capture that event or, was it by chance surprise?

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by kenny71

It doesn't look like anything at first until a hamburder bun backs out of it.

Looks like a lot of work and that I am glad I only shed one cell at a time.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by kenny71

I would've quickly popped it in the pot immediately...eat it with the still supple shell and everything. great calcium boost

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
You can't un-watch something like that can you.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kenny71

S&F

Love the spider crab.
And I feel sad for it being confined in that place.

Anyway, fantastic video

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join