It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's Deep Space Camera Locates Host of 'Earths'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:19 PM
link   
not that this isn't exciting...but what happened to water on the moon?

Seriously...what happened to that? We can celebrate about planets later...we're never going to reach THEM if we can't get to our own damn moon again...

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

Majority of the "water" is locked up in the minerals, in the rocks.

I haven't checked lately, but I will surmise that there isn't any ice sitting around on the surface, either....but, no one was expecting that.

Ice won't last long, if exposed to vacuum...it sublimates pretty quickly.

Ever seen frozen CO2?? AKA "dry ice".

SO....yes, there exists the molecular signs (H2O) but not in a readily usable form, because of the environment.

BUT, that is good news, for someday there WILL be activity up there, to include a base of some sort. It is inevitable, and logical, in efforts to eventually keep exploring space. We are lucky, as a planet, to have that platform so handy and nearby.

It WILL be expensive, prohibitively at first, in this current political climate (in the US, anyway). Will probably take some sort of commercial/private enterprise, with a profit motive to invest into the initial infrastructure.

An international consortium, maybe...no one entity is likely to take the financial risks.....

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
So when science tells us that much of the matter in the universe is missing and their equations just don't add up.. should we believe them?

IRM

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Axial Leader

Star!!

I totally agree.. I honestly try not to be biased when I feel that people who still believe that human life on Earth is the ONLY life in the universe are not all that intelligent. No offense to them but they can not possibly be figuring any kind of logic into that idea.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Fact is that there is one known producer of "intelligent" life, and that production plant is constructed out of such and such a planet with such and such a way to large moon that was allegedly produced out of two planets of such and such a size being smashed into another with such and such a speed at such and such an angle.

And yes, I believe that our majestic companion is waywayway to easily left out of the complexlifeproducing equation. Until proven that complex life (not the microbes we're not finding at the moment.) does not need a stabilized platform like our twin-planet to evolve, I don't see the logic in jumping to the conclusion that the universe would be teeming with intelligent life just because there are planets hanging around that happen to be somewhat earth sized. An earth sized planet without a big bad moon like ours, is not an earth-like planet.

The changes we come across such a twin system might just happen to be one in a galaxy, but let's just assume it's utterly rare.

So there you have it, á logic counterpart of a universe teeming with complex life.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Originally posted by AntiNWO

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
en.wikipedia.org...

This article describes how unlikely we humans are in this universe. And this is just from a geological, paleontological, astronomical perspective. It doesn't even take into account chemistry or physics.

If Wikipedia was around in the time of Galileo it would have described how unlikely it is that the Earth is not the center of the universe.

Is line 2 really necessary here?

I never mentioned that the earth is the center of the universe. All evidence is pointing to the fact that there is no intelligent life out there.

You either have a reading comprehension problem or you're purposely avoiding the point I made. I'll try to explain it so that even you can understand:

Wikipedia is echoing current popular belief by the scientific community, which is not the be all and end all in understanding of the universe. You assume that we know enough to know, when in fact what we know is extremely limited.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by RockCreekMan

roger that...just read the old testament or the vedic scriptures or sumerian ancient history-did you hear about the find "our boys" came across in iraq...i mean the list goes on. very revealing that you and i r like the last to know...feel violated yet??

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

You mention in the post to which I am replying that debris at the relatavistic end of the speed scale would pose a massive problem, and of course you are correct. But it is not new technology which is required ,but advances in current technology which may be the best route to a workable solution. I remember seeing a sheild demonstration , which showcased technology developed to prevent solar winds and radiation from penetrating space craft. It was based on the magnetosphere of the earth and the experiment proved the idea quite workable from a technological point of veiw (I just tried to find a video on you tube, but alas, couldnt remember any keywords which returned the result I was looking for). Its worth baring in mind . Of course theres no way to tell what the effect of accelerating to fractions of the speed of light might do to the stability of the shield, but thats work which will need to be done. I think the most important thing we could be doing at this stage is in fact to just get on and solve the speed problem, before we start ironing out the saftey issues for manned flight at those insane velocities.
Edit to add : I think theres a good chance that smaller debris and so forth would behave much like meteors scudding off the magnetosphere/atmosphere of a planet , ie burning up, or being flash demolished by the sudden interaction with a magnetic force.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by TrueBrit]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
These are exciting times we are living in guys, science and discovery are moving at speeds never heard of. One large telescope and look what we can see and know now!

I guess you know nothing about the trillions of dollars that has went into the secret space program. The public technology tree is a absolute joke. We are still at 100 year old combustion engines and still believe we are alone in space.

NASA is concerned with the public space program. They are sending people looking for bacteria to justify its existence, while ET's is flying around out there following their every step.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by Copernicus]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
what a interesting news from NASA but i already would've known that much if they followed ideas, i swear to you i have written to NASA and basically gave them a simple idea ! to send 12 giant telescopes into space with each telescope would be a node to transmit the data back to earth like this we can build a giant p2p network of telescopes that can travel probably billions of light years away. that was in 1992, and i only see the Hubble around our planets orbit which is really a stupid thing to see, disgrace that is why im not suprised, for people that do not believe there is live out there ! you need to get out of your ass and visit each planet you believe does not have life and come back to tell us

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
im so sick of this search for "planets that can sustain life". any planet can sustain life, if you have the right body or suit/technology.
in any case, i dont know why they are looking so far into the universe when we dont have even clear pictures of the planets close to us.
actually i know... they are just toying with us. i completely gave up on our astronomy, a bunch of lies thats what it is.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jazabel51

I'm glad to see that more and more people are starting to see the connection bewteen Iraq and the REAL reason we are over there....

When the gods left, they left behind information to stargates and WMDS's (Weapons of Mass Destruction)...this information was hidden away in the mystery schools and TPTB know this.....so they sent the military over to search and retrieve......

We are not in Iraq for 10+ years for 9/11 vengence...

We know what's over there and want control of it

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I have always known there are other life forms other than us,
and our planet. These planets they are discovering is just the
very very beginning, and they will be discovering many many
more.

What kind of person with any kind of sense at all, can stand
outside on a star lit night and say we are the only ones. I
think that is a little selfish but hey, that's my opinion right?
Well, more than an opinion because I have had a few out of
body experiences that involve other worldly adventures.

Regressive therapy has accidentally stumbled across past
life experiences in session, and so has Scientology auditing.
It is real.

My good friends, to those that don't believe, you are in for some
exciting times ahead. Cheers!

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
This is interesting and all, but come on...announce our space brothers already!

posted on Oct, 29 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Should probably update this thread with this:

Earth-Size Planets Abound in Milky Way, Study Finds

<< 3  4  5   >>

join