It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada, U.S. silent on migrant ship sighting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 09:44 PM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

"Federal officials are refusing to answer questions about the sighting of a Thai ship approaching the coast of British Columbia with more than 200 Sri Lankan migrants aboard.

Sri Lankan officials say some of the people aboard the MV Sun Sea may belong to the Tamil Tigers, an insurgent group the Canadian government considers a terrorist organization."

==

This is not the first time the Tamils have attempted to land on the shores of BC , with last attempt back in October.

But here's further:

"According to news reports in Asia, the cargo ship has been tracked since May when it made an unsuccessful attempt to land in Australia.

The Canadian government is still dealing with the most recent shipload of Tamil migrants, who arrived in British Columbia last October.

The 76 people, who are still having their claims processed, were released from detention after an investigation showed none were linked to a terrorist organization.

However, a lawyer who represented some of those people said Saturday he's both surprised and concerned about the amount of information that has already been made public.

"I don’t understand why this is being released to the media," Douglas Cannon told CBC News. "It is undoubtedly from intelligence sources and intelligence sources are usually pretty careful about the information that they have.

"However, it concerns me that there may be some effort to publicize possibly a new strategy to deal with refugee claimants who come aboard ship. That concerns me because it would be contrary to international law to turn someone back who claims a risk of being sent back."

===

Excuse me, these people are allowed to stay in Canada?

join