It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am one of the "parasites" on unemployment benefit who is draining your income

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bugman82
The problem most people see is that people continue to live above their means and were not wise enough to save money for a time like this. The issue of helping out an unemployed person who has lost their job isn't the issue. The issue is helping out an unemployed person who hasn't prepared, even though they have had the ability to prepare.

Example of where my problem lies: Joe Shmoe makes $35,000 a year. However, because Joe Shmoe likes stuff a lot he buys a BMW, constantly buys his clothing from expensive retailers, eats out at nice restraunts, and lives paycheck to paycheck or wracks up thousands of dollars in credit card debt.

The Joe Shmoes (Sorry if your name is really Joe Shmoe) are the people that put the strain on our system. They are the ones who have the ability to become prosperous and wealthy over time but are so caught up in the buy-now mentality that they throw it all away. Literally, they are the ones who are in a major part responsible for the way our economy is today. These are the people I struggle with feeding off the teet of the government.

I understand the argument that they've been brainwashed by media into this consumerism mentality but people must take responsibility for their actions and need to experience something to correct their habits. The government coming to the rescue with free money may not be enough discipline to change spending and saving habits.

This perspective comes from a working man with a $24,000 a year salary and no benefits. I have successfully saved 20% of my income over the last 3.5 years. Also, due to wise investing I have gained around 11% annually on my savings. I'm sitting at around $18,500 currently. Thankfully, I have recieved a major promotion and will be making around $44,000 a year. Do you think I'm going to change my spending and saving habits? The only thing that will change is that now I will be saving around 30% of my income and increase my spending a bit to enjoy some things I've been waiting for in life like family vacations and travel.

He who ignores discipline comes to poverty and shame, but whoever heeds correction is honored. Prov. 13:18

Sorry, but this is breathtakingly simplistic and naive. Almost funny. Some people and families are living paycheck to paycheck and can only barely pay for necessities.

Terrible understanding of the problem. Full of the poster's self flattery.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

It is your age.

They don't want older employers because they cost more and do not perform as well as eager young employees hoping to impress.

That is the reality of the job market worldwide.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Bugman82

The wise old capitalist and his talk of being thrifty

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
sorry to go on, but you gotta branch out into something new. You may even have to move. It can be done it just all depends on how much you want it.

My job is terrible, I hate it. But in my expertise their are 50,000 graduates each year and 5000 jobs. I've been here for over two years now... so it's more like 100,000 graduates for 10,000 jobs and in this years applicants... 150,000 graduates for 15,000 jobs. Do the math mate... it aint happening. I'm thankful that I have a job... any job. I'll probably be there for a very, very long time as well.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I've seen this mentioned several times within the thread. People going back to school. Looks great on paper, problem is; how many people already with degrees and experience are you going to compete with for jobs.

Education is good, don't get me wrong. Just be aware that it's just one part of the job equation.

I hire people occasionally. The problem I run into is finding a qualified craftsman that can pass a drug test. I find it amazing that a person wants a decent union scale job and can't pass a simple pee test. It's frustrating more than anything else. Before anyone contacts me, I have no current openings and I hire through the local Plumber union hall.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Excuses, excuses, excuses.

Im sorry Muckster you have become a parasite. Only 3 interviews in a year, what part of the country are you from?

Nearly 2 years ago in September 2008 me and partner both lost our jobs on the same day as the company we were working for went bust. We were owed nearly £2000 pounds each in wages, we had a morgage to pay as well as all the other usual bills.

We lost our jobs on a thursday, the next day my partner draged me out of our house and we signed up to every job agency in town. By middle of next week we both had a couple of days crummy work earning less than £35 hours a day. After showing some enthusiasm, one agency took pity on us and within 2 weeks we both had regular temporary work earning £200 pounds a week. It wasn't fun but we had no choice, we also rented out our spare room to get some extra cash.

In november of that year my partner got a crappy full time job in a call centre, it wasn't until jan 2009 that i finally got a permenant job in an immigration centre. At this point we were only still earning half of what we used to. We both kept applying for every decent job going telling a few white lies here and there and she now works for government and me on the railway and we both have jobs earning what we used to, are happy and can now get married next year.

But we only got back in this postion by HARD work, don't bother with the job centre it is a complete waste of time. Go to companys websites direct and once you have applied for a job ring the company up, be nice and polite and ask a few questions and get them to know your NAME so have a better chance of getting an interview, then prepare, prepare, prepare.

We werent lucky enough to have morgage payment protection, but i didn't claim once i just got on with it.

Whats wrong with paying out £100+ for a security or gardening qualification if it means your earn £200 a week after?

I know it can be demoralising and depressing but it sounds like you have giving up before really trying.

peace

[edit on 23-7-2010 by lilsmurf]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Hey Muckster. I wish you good luck on your job search. I personally, don't have any problem with government providing unemployment income to those who get laid off from their job. Here, it usually lasts 6 months. But since we're in bad economic times their have been extensions.

I also think Social Security is a good idea. The only problem is the government won't keep their greedy hands off of it... using it like their own personal piggy bank. The only thing I dislike about Social Security is that there is alot of people on it that shouldn't be. For example, I know of at least half a dozen people that is drawing a monthly check for disability when there is no reason they can't work. Here, almost anyone with a willing doctor who takes it to court about 2 times can get on it.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I hear you mate,

Been in the same situation a few years back.

Was totally demoralising but eventually after a year I got into a job (purely out of luck) and have been doing kind of okay.

Job is good but the pay doesn't match at all (sign of the times), to make matters worse with the current climate in the UK you end up getting half your skin taxed off your back before you get the money.

After all that you then have to pay your bills, try to live and save nothing because you are penniless.

But could be worse I suppose.

Hope you get things sorted fella

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by contraband
Hey Muckster. I wish you good luck on your job search. I personally, don't have any problem with government providing unemployment income to those who get laid off from their job. Here, it usually lasts 6 months. But since we're in bad economic times their have been extensions.

Actually, the government's role, at least here in the USA, is more regulatory. Employers have to buy unemployment insurance for employees. When they are laid off or fired without adequate justification, the employees can file a claim -- just like with any other kind of insurance. The local Bureau of Employment Security (yes, those are government employees) determines if the claim is valid. But under normal circumstances, those benefits are only good for 6 months. In bad economic times, when it is likely many will go more than 6 months without employment, that's when the government steps in and pays for the unemployment (because the unemployment insurance policies are on the basis of a 6 month maximum).

Originally posted by contraband
I also think Social Security is a good idea. The only problem is the government won't keep their greedy hands off of it... using it like their own personal piggy bank. The only thing I dislike about Social Security is that there is alot of people on it that shouldn't be. For example, I know of at least half a dozen people that is drawing a monthly check for disability when there is no reason they can't work. Here, almost anyone with a willing doctor who takes it to court about 2 times can get on it.

Spot on. SS is a good idea, but govt. needs to keep hands off. Some people do abuse it.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by ClintK]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Wigit said: "And if you get a chance of a job on the side, cash in the back pocket and all that, take it. It's the system that's corrupt, not you."

There isa spot of real wisdom in this seemingly off the top statement. Anyone that has traveled to far less stable societies than the US and the UK (such as to Mexico, etc.) Sees multiple ways to make ends met without going through the "official" channels. Most are fairly innocent, flaunting some official law or regulation, but providing some measure of income to themselves and to the society in general. Once you avoid the paying into the official coffers (both in earning and buying), you will be surprised how far 20 bucks will go. Most of us Westerners have forgotten how to be cunning, inventive and finding little ways to beat the system(s).

The best example is that we have forgotten how to shop the market every day, bargining and haggling for our fresh food stuff and even other needs. Instead we have been taught to relie, without a thought, on the glitzy supermarkets where you pay the asking price, period or you walk out empty-handed.

When the seller has a personal stake in the immediate sale or transfer of an item, every one wins, buyer and seller. The human aspect becomes key in such relationships in terms of compassion, pity, understanding, caring. Don't expect those from your local corporations. They hav stockholders to please.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   

I agree, and not only that, temp. services are looking for people who have exsperience 2 years or more. well , what is all of us unemployed supposed to do, go back to school, for some job that will take the company a lousy week to train you. COME ON, here. WE NEED A JOB NOW, NOT A YEAR FROM NOW. TEMP SERV. S#. AND THEY TAKE 3 DOLLARS AN HOUR OFF, WHAT YOU SHOULD BE GETTING. I'm a technician in plastics and do processing, i'm still looking for work.
2 YEARS EXSPERIENCE, FOR JANITOR JOB. COME ON HERE. How much exsperience do you need to clean a toilet, or vacumn a carpet. WELL, I HAVE NEVER STRIPPED A FLOOR. BUT come on, how hard is it to train me to do this? NO , YOU NEED TO GO TO SCHOOL, or exsperience 2 years. THIS IS REDICULOUS. Jobs should have on them, will train you. COME ON HERE PEOPLE, OK , WERE THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL. But this does not mean we cannot get trained and are not good workers. COME ON HERE. If you buisnesses are waiting for people with exsperience, THEY ARE GONE AND HIRED, it is just us left. LETS GO , HIRE ME, ILL BE A JANITOR. The job was for 12 an hour start and I even had a temp. service tell me that i could not get this job because she told me. "ARE YOU REALLY GOING TO STAY HERE FOR 6 MONTHS OR MORE?", do you have 2 yrs. exsperience?", I said yes.
SHE did not believe me because i use to make 20.79 an hour when my company went overseas. She would not give me the janitor job, i wanted. THAT PSSST ME OFFF SO BAD.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by nite owl]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
To everyone that is sitting without a job, my heart goes out to you!!! May God help everyone of you, and to the employed who looks down on these people, may God help you too.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I think i should start my own cleanning buisness and show them all, WHO IS BOSS. I will underbid them all. I CAN BE A JANITOR. I will start with commercial buildings first. That TEMP. SERVICE, REALLY GOT MY GOAT.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
AMEN to all the unemployed who have contributed to this post.
It's not as easy to get a job especially when here is America approx. 10% of the population is looking for a job.
I lost my job in August of last year (almost a year ago.)
My last job was as a diamond setter. Now, with the economy the way it is...no one is really hiring diamond setters or goldsmiths...the whole jewelry industry has shrunk leaving an abundance of jewelry workers with no jobs.
No one wants to hire a goldsmith/diamond setter to answer phones or to play receptionist or a million other jobs when there are 100's of people QUALIFIED for those positions who are also out of work.

We have a problem people. It's the economy AND the lack of jobs. The economy keeps getting worse...more businesses close, the job market shrinks even more the more people end up on Unemployment or worse, Welfare. Solutions are called for, not name calling.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by lilsmurf

Whats wrong with paying out £100+ for a security or gardening qualification if it means your earn £200 a week after?

All very good and well, as long as you have the £100 in the first place. If you're unemployed, it's doubtfull after paying the bills. Hell, I work and I don't have £100 spare after paying the bills and feeding and clothing my family.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I hear the military always has plenty of openings. Whether it's your cup of tea or not it's still a job so tell me another one. Also you can get licensing for other jobs free from the military, another problem solved.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by NoJoker13]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I understand, the job market is flat all over the world.
The job market has changed so much, it's crazy.
In the nineties I would send out 1 resume, get one interview, get one job.
It was too easy.
I was out of work in 2008-2009 a combination on underemployment and unemployment, do you have any idea how little you get from unemployment benefits if you are underemployed(part-time) for a year and then get layed off?

Now it's so different, everybody wants the resume by email, and just as easy for you hit send as it is for them to hit delete. Computer software that auto filters, that is a real killer, to any potential job seeker. Human eyes never even see your resume.

One guy in a HR department for a national payroll company was telling me all this.

In the old days you used to at least get a courtesy call saying we have your resume but we have found another person to do the job thanks for your interest in company xxxxxxxxx.
Now you get nothing, no email back, no phone call, nothing.

And we thought it was going to be a workers dream in the 21st century with all the baby boomers retiring there would be too many jobs.
Well now we see how that is working.

Currently I am blessed to have a decent full time job with benefits and good holidays, with a major national company. But things can change so fast today, there are no guarantees. And anybody getting hired right now starts at a low wage, little holidays, and always part-time. Bad time to be a new employee.

To the OP I have been there, and I understand, it was a very painful time in my life. And I had been out of work before, but this time, as it is with most workers out of work in 2010 it's was very different, to the point of being scary.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I sympathize with Muckster. There has been a great deal of devastation in this economic crisis.

Where can you turn for jobs? Housing is toast, so that eliminates jobs in construction, real estate sales, title attorneys, appraisers, etc. Attorneys are toast - Many of my smartest attorney friends have been laid off. The automotive industry is a wreck. We have plenty of automotive engineers that are out of work. Banking is a joke. Good luck trying to find work in that field.

Go back to school? Ha! At these huge tuition costs, who can afford to go, and who wants to get into massive debt if there is no good job waiting on the other side of the fence?

If you have any experience at all, you are "over-qualified" for many of the jobs out there. Even nursing, long known to be a field where it was easy to find a job, is starting to see a slowdown. Companies aren't hiring, and most have hiring freezes and are cutting staff, downsizing, or shutting down. It's a mess.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13

I hear the military always has plenty of openings. Whether it's your cup of tea or not it's still a job so tell me another one. Also you can get licensing for other jobs free from the military, another problem solved.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by NoJoker13]
military plenty of opennings, not to a 41 year old. GET A GRIP, MAN. Stop being IGNORANT.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

That was the thing that really annoyed me about job hunting. You can't simply write up your CV (resume) and send copies actually to companies anymore. They always want you to fill in those bloody application forms. After about the 100th time, it really gets on your nerves

I've even sent my CV to companies, and they've replied by sending an application form back. It holds no more information than is on my CV! And there's never enough room for your qualifications either!

[/rant]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join