It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am one of the "parasites" on unemployment benefit who is draining your income

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
it is a way to shift blame from what has happened. they need for the person fired or laid-off to take the blame. combine that with fear, and you have a willing populace that does NOT ask for raises, or benefits when they do have a job. if labor is scarce, the demands for better pay, better working conditions costs the wealthy more. that's why these types of recessions will continue into the future. the extremely wealthy have the luxury to sit out any recession. thus, recessions and depressions are simply a way to buy valued assets at a much cheaper price.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by jimmyx]

Excellent point, you will soon have idiot middle managers telling their employees they are lucky to have a job, no matter how s*it it is. This is when we need to support trade unions. We need someone to stand up for the working people more than ever.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Hey Muckster,

I don't think it's guys like you that people have in mind when bitching about "dole bludgers" as we call them here in OZ. Most people I know believe society should help out someone who works hard but has just hit a rough patch.

It's the career handout jerks that never try that are the problem. I went to a pretty mediocre public school and I remember many of the kids knew or decided they would just live of government handouts and many of them do to this day.

I used to work with a woman who was in her late 20's, she had one kid to an ex boyfriend but lived with a new boyfriend. She earnt about 30% more than me but managed to scam free rent on a 3 bedroom house, that was much nicer than the one bedroom place I paid for. She also received government subsidies for having the kid. She pretty much spent her free time and money on booze and weed. It was an absolute rort.

I was out of work with my girlfriend recently both for about 6 months. Neither of us were eligible for handouts as I had (must have been crazy) actually saved money away and could still afford to feed myself. I was laid off first, then my girlfriend not long after. She couldn't receive benefits either as we are in a defacto relationship and I had some money saved, then when I eventually got a job again I was almost out of savings but earned too much money again for her to get anything.

Looking back I should have just wasted my money when I was earning it and got a handout when I had no job. I would have come out way ahead if I did! That I see as the problem with this system of handouts.

If you ask me, I believe these safety nets should be based on taxes paid in previous years, not exclusively but graded on circumstances. So that people like you and I who did work and didn't rort the system and actually contributed could get a reasonable benefit when times get tough and we really need it. Those who were rich but avoided taxes, or never really contributed anyway should receive less benefit.

Luckily I found a good job with an international company now and my GF has work and we are starting to rebuild our savings.

I sincerely wish you all the best in the job hunt.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Kingalbrect79

My family is in the same situation. My mom has been unemployed since February 2009 and is now entering her last tier of funds since they extended it. She didn't have money to save while working, only making $17,000 a year so unemployment is all she has, alongside the Pell grant every 3 months for about $2,000.

Then last month her mom passed away and she is struggle in college now since she is now a mess. So we are trying to move to Pennsylvania with this current Pell grant she received for $2,700 but it is looking impossible now because almost every place wants a $2,000 deposit, then add turning on electricity, water, etc... and moving there from St. Augustine, Florida and it is now looking impossible. She has no working car since it started giving her problems last April(2009) and now it doesn't want to drive at all except to the store 5 miles away.

There are no jobs around here either, and even if there were jobs she couldn't get to work since she only gets $245 a week from unemployment and would need to fix her car.

I was recently laid off of work too and had to move back home since 2 of my 3 roommates lost their jobs. So now I am another mouth to feed for my mom since I have no money now and I was working under the table so I didn't pay any taxes (i.e. no unemployment benefits).

But when we went up to Bethlehem, PA in late June for my grandma's funeral we saw 'for hire' signs at most of the small stores. I counted about 25 signs that said 'for hire' and I wasn't even really paying attention for that.

If you have the money to move I say move, now! We are hoping for help from my uncle to move us up there since he is a fiber optic engineer and has some money, but he paid for the funeral and is helping my uncle and grandfather pay their $1,000 a month rent since he is unemployed in PA too. But only because he wants a managerial position.

If you don't mind blue collar labor I say move to Bethlehem, PA.

[edit on 7/23/2010 by Misoir]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Sup, Muckster.

Lazy bum here too (at least that's what the Child Support agency that won't modify my earnings likes to tell me).

I'm starting to think the only way to really get ahead is to create my own employment. Anyway, without going on for paragraphs like a maudlin, angry sap... - Keep plugging away at it. Something's gotta break.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

i'm with you OP, the system is absurd.

wouldn't be surprised if you need a lisence to use a can of raid.

[edit on 7/23/2010 by JPhish]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Muckster, sorry to hear about your predicament. I can only wish you luck with your continued pursuit for work.

There are perpetual floaters of people, who, much like yourself, are claiming purely because they need to whilst actively seeking work. Then, there are those who hang on to the system purely as a life-line and way of living. I think we all have strong views of those sorts, but my opinions of those are neither relevant or important to this post.

You've been a man manager, so I'm assuming you're familiar with motivational techniques and coaching the positives within people? You've probably done this for yourself on yourself, I'm sure, but without understanding your position first handedly, I can't really offer more than the cliche comments you'd otherwise expect, like ''keep at it'' etc etc.

Since my area of expertise is specifically in the Construction industry - Civil/Structural Engineering, I guess my view is somewhat partial. But someone made comments about people fleecing others and that we're always lining someone elses pockets? That might be technically correct, but it's not representatitve of the the entire working world I'm afraid. My MD, for example, has made damn sure that we're in this together and we'll experience it all together. Fortunately, I'm privvy to the accounts equally as he is. I felt a heightened sense of respect and appreciation when I had realised he had taken a 30% cut on his own (already fair) salary just to keep the balance on our salaries.

Yes, indeed that is only one example I have provided, but scores of our clients, partners and other associates within the industry have confessed to making the hard yards just to ensure they can boast as full compliment of work-force as possible. Thankfully our work is picking back up again but we're still at a skeletal state in certain disciplines of our work. I am quiet for a good portion of my working week - hence being on here now.

The other side is that I am lucky enough that Civil Engineers are professionals that are still in good demand in UK and continue to be worldwide.

Best of luck. Peace.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I understand your position and everytime I go to the grocery store with my little 20 dollars I worked my rear off to earn, and see these 300 pound laughing women who are like carbon copys pull out that ohio food card and swipe 600 dollars in free grocerys laughin and cheesin all the way out the door to stuff there face all day long ill think of you. Everyones got the food card here. I can almost predict when I am in line to pay for my food with cash who has the food card and who doesnt. One can tell by the sight of them. Its trully sickness here in Cleveland. 300 to 400 pounds of laughing flesh , im talking disgustingly huge, walking up to the counter with a hewyea and a lemme git, full grocery carts and it aint nothing to pull out that food card, thats as hard as they work all month, while our roads are atrocious and there is not enough police to take care of this ghetto infested city. Of course these people do absolutly nothing to help the world ,completely worthless just breeding more of the same.Trully is amazing what is going on in the world.
DWT

[edit on 23-7-2010 by dntwastetime]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   

anyone who has worked has earned his unemployment benefit or whatever he can scrape back from the government...you paid into the scheme for decades....now your getting a bit back...good luck to you...

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Hi. I do know how you feel. I was a higher level "superviser" that shared responsibility over 120 people. I made roughly your salary as well. Thought myself as a young hot shot. Moved right as the economy collapsed, haven't rcvd a dime from the government.. I did odd jobs manual labor, security, you name it.. very demeaning imo, my pride has refused to allow me to sink into the food market.

I don't think you're a "drain on the system" either..

I do however think 99+ weeks of unemployment is absurd.. in 99 weeks I've had over 5 jobs.. yes, many short time positions, many temp, all very low paying.. and I wasn't even forced to look.

If you've gone 99months without getting even a menial job.. either something is wrong with you, or you're not trying.

I'm currently negotiating a contract with the military, since I cannot afford college and the government seems to think I make to much money and am far to white for any financial aid.

Do what ye gotta do though.. hope ye find something.. unemployment sucks, mentally especially.. you go crazy after a few weeks.

Edit to add: it looked like I was sayin ye were not trying lol. I was referencing the American system that extended benefits for something like 120 weeks now. That's over 2 years.. its absurd to me.

And I gotta say, unemployment is imo especially demoralizing for men.. I'm just glad I don't have children, but to go from making the money to my lady bringing home the bacon, well.. it sucks. Nothing against the ladies, but a guy can't sit at home even if he's looking for a job and not be seen as a good for nothing deadbeat.

And the vast majority of jobs opening are centered for women, clarical, small office positions, nursing etc ..

And you think a license was bad for spraying, in my state you need a degree and a state board exam to tell people where to plant flowers. No joke. Or commercially mow their lawn.

Systems fubar.

[edit on 7/23/2010 by Rockpuck]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Try for course/cert funding from the ADF (Advisors Discretionary Fund). This fund has recently been subject to cut-backs but is there to help you into work, ie, if you've been offered a job but need the chit, the ADF is there to fund it, travel to interview scheme as well (although I was recently turned down for the 'discretionary' payment in advance element and so could not attend the interveiw some 300 miles away).

My local job centre staff are mostly fixed term contract workers who were recently advised that their contracts would not be renewed. They have trouble keeping on top of current work-loads, I dread to think what a shambles the system is poised to become once staffing cuts are complete, especially when my 'rapid reclaim' took 11 weeks to process and was only, miraculously finalised within two days after I threatened full formal complaints action!

Over the last couple of years too many non-scroungers have been thrown on the dole-heap. I had it very easy for 15years, high paid temp contract work that I could take or leave at will. But the down-turn has changed all of that. The temp contracts are few and far between and those most likely to get them are over qualified for the roles available. In addition to this, pay rates have reduced by an average 30% over what could be earned just last year! I too have applied for work that is not related to my quals and experience, even went for a 'no experience nec', double-glazing sales job, cleaning work, bar work, 'seasonal' work, general dogsbody; no joy, no escape the increasing poverty that being on the dole means for singles (families, quite rightly, have a higher allowance, allowing them to 'juggle' a little more flexibly).

There is also a huge increase in verification actions. Job Centre staff seem more likely to assume that all new claimnants are dishonest and this shows in attitude and demeanor toward the 'customer'.

The Con-Dems seem to be attempting to reduce living standards across the board. The proposed/promised reductions in housing benefit payments seem designed to impact on the private rented sector, aimed at reducing market rents. All those people who responded to Labour's pension fund raids with buy-to-let, skewing the housing market in the process, will have to find otherways to meet their mortgage requirements, they can no longer use tenants' money to buy their investments for them. This will at the outset, increase levels of homelessness, both recorded and hidden, yet the only provision I've seen so far to meet the anticipated increase in demand for homeless services is contained within Cameron's 'big society', another extension of Thatcher's unproven 'trickle down' theories.

But hey, so long as the politicos may keep their allowances, the police may continue to create murder and mayhem on British streets and the bwanksters permitted to charge unauthorised overdraft interest of up to 3500%, then the countries 'leaders' can sleep well at night knowing that the proletariat are slowly being bludgeoned into complete destitute obedience. And don't forget to make sure you sort your rubbish into the correct receptacle, you subversive, you!

There is only one way, in my opinion, to change this and that is to OPT OUT and become a freeman of the Land, a sovereign human being, whilst we still can.

And laugh in the face of adverstity!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Sararainmaker

Unemployment is a tax. There is no account with your name on it with that finite amount of money. Those who pay unemployment taxes now support those on unemployment. Not trying to pick at you, just saying you are wrong.
en.wikipedia.org...

Muckster, people who call others parasites are just jerks. They love to talk smack, but when it comes down to it, they'll want the same help when they find themselves in your place. People shouldn't be so damn smug.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Don't know if this has been mentioned mate but I take it your from the UK. If so the Job Centre has a pot for everybody on their which you can ask to use for training purposes. For example if you need a suit you can ask them to pay for it.

I was on the job seekers allowance for a year. I live in Yorkshire but decided to have some fun. So I got an interview/work trial in London. The Job Centre paid for my train ticket there £236 and subsidised my accomodation for two nights at a premier inn hotel. I went to the interview/work trial to get some experiance, left at lunch time saying it's not for me. Spent the rest of the day having some fun.

I now work the dead mans shift in a lab. I have no scientific qualifications but I now test food. It pays quite well but I hate the job but... I am not going back to the dole... where you see 300 people going for a Morrisons job.

The fact is, If you require training then the Job Centre will pay for it. All you gotta do is ask.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
The problem most people see is that people continue to live above their means and were not wise enough to save money for a time like this. The issue of helping out an unemployed person who has lost their job isn't the issue. The issue is helping out an unemployed person who hasn't prepared, even though they have had the ability to prepare.

Example of where my problem lies: Joe Shmoe makes $35,000 a year. However, because Joe Shmoe likes stuff a lot he buys a BMW, constantly buys his clothing from expensive retailers, eats out at nice restraunts, and lives paycheck to paycheck or wracks up thousands of dollars in credit card debt.

The Joe Shmoes (Sorry if your name is really Joe Shmoe) are the people that put the strain on our system. They are the ones who have the ability to become prosperous and wealthy over time but are so caught up in the buy-now mentality that they throw it all away. Literally, they are the ones who are in a major part responsible for the way our economy is today. These are the people I struggle with feeding off the teet of the government.

I understand the argument that they've been brainwashed by media into this consumerism mentality but people must take responsibility for their actions and need to experience something to correct their habits. The government coming to the rescue with free money may not be enough discipline to change spending and saving habits.

This perspective comes from a working man with a $24,000 a year salary and no benefits. I have successfully saved 20% of my income over the last 3.5 years. Also, due to wise investing I have gained around 11% annually on my savings. I'm sitting at around $18,500 currently. Thankfully, I have recieved a major promotion and will be making around $44,000 a year. Do you think I'm going to change my spending and saving habits? The only thing that will change is that now I will be saving around 30% of my income and increase my spending a bit to enjoy some things I've been waiting for in life like family vacations and travel.

He who ignores discipline comes to poverty and shame, but whoever heeds correction is honored. Prov. 13:18

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I see you have mentioned the job applications. Maybe they did pick at random. I can tell you this. Most companies check if you are unemployed or employed and bin the unemployed applications so it's best for you to do some voluntary work. Why don't you go down to your local community radio and ask to help out? At least then when they come to look at your application they will find out that you are unemployed but you are still up and about and working a normal day. They may even look at your application further. At the very least the Job Centre will be delighted with what your doing (b7 forms and fill in 16 hours worth of volunteering... I just would not tell them... but then if you do, and its on record they will be nicer with you and will listen to you more)

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Haha! Welcome to my world where getting a job is almost impossible, because you have to have an Associates Degree, or a Bachelors degree to become a Secretary now!! I am considering going back to a Trade School, to become a Phlebotomist. I am even taking tests so some job company can whore me out, and let me work Temp. jobs. In the mean time I am picking up some skills here and there to make me more marketable. I learned how to use Quick books, book keeping, excel, and anything else I see I try to learn as well. My typing has gone from 25 to 41 wpm. I am trying to get something anything. Hell I might even babysit again!

I do understand your frustration, it's all about money man! Plain and simple, the Goverment wants more money so they say you need this degree to work now, so you pay them more, and when you are done, I am not even sure you can get that job. Hell I can't even work as a CRMA because I need 3 years experience now! BS!!!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I certainly appreciate what the original post said.

The problem with these people who accuse those of actually taking unemployment as being leaches is simple ignorance. They somehow think that with a nearly 10 percent unemployment rate things haven't changed much and all those people could easily find work.

You won't change them. These are people who aren't the least bit streetwise about the real world, and ignorance is bliss. Until it happens to them, they will remain unchanged. I think they rather like the self-flattery: that they are BETTER than someone else because they have a job; that those who don't aren't unfortunate, just lazy.

The unemployment rate doesn't phase them. It's like you'd think it was caused by millions of people suddenly deciding that they didn't want to work for a living any longer. Like I say, they're just not streetwise about the real world. They're living in a fantasy world where they like to pass judgment on lives and conditions they cannot even begin to understand. It makes them feel good about themselves to do so.

I used to be one of them. Fortunately, as a college professor, I've been steadily employed since 1984. But I lost my job in the recession of the early 1980s, hated being unemployed and the unemployment only paid about HALF of what I'd been clearing in my former job.

I made it my new job to find a job, putting in at least 4 hours per day sending out resumes and submitting job applications.

Nothing.

There were no jobs. Even for the minimum wage jobs, there were more applicants than jobs. It was a ridiculous --and exasperating-- situation.

And an eye-opener. I mean it was literally, "I was blind, but now I see." The people who are condescending toward anybody getting unemployment are simply still blind. They're not bad people. They're just ignorant.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bugman82
The problem most people see is that people continue to live above their means and were not wise enough to save money for a time like this. The issue of helping out an unemployed person who has lost their job isn't the issue. The issue is helping out an unemployed person who hasn't prepared, even though they have had the ability to prepare.

Example of where my problem lies: Joe Shmoe makes $35,000 a year. However, because Joe Shmoe likes stuff a lot he buys a BMW, constantly buys his clothing from expensive retailers, eats out at nice restraunts, and lives paycheck to paycheck or wracks up thousands of dollars in credit card debt.

The Joe Shmoes (Sorry if your name is really Joe Shmoe) are the people that put the strain on our system. They are the ones who have the ability to become prosperous and wealthy over time but are so caught up in the buy-now mentality that they throw it all away. Literally, they are the ones who are in a major part responsible for the way our economy is today. These are the people I struggle with feeding off the teet of the government.

I understand the argument that they've been brainwashed by media into this consumerism mentality but people must take responsibility for their actions and need to experience something to correct their habits. The government coming to the rescue with free money may not be enough discipline to change spending and saving habits.

This perspective comes from a working man with a $24,000 a year salary and no benefits. I have successfully saved 20% of my income over the last 3.5 years. Also, due to wise investing I have gained around 11% annually on my savings. I'm sitting at around $18,500 currently. Thankfully, I have recieved a major promotion and will be making around $44,000 a year. Do you think I'm going to change my spending and saving habits? The only thing that will change is that now I will be saving around 30% of my income and increase my spending a bit to enjoy some things I've been waiting for in life like family vacations and travel.

He who ignores discipline comes to poverty and shame, but whoever heeds correction is honored. Prov. 13:18

I make between £240-£300 a week depending on overtime. Your damn right I'm saving money. £100 a week. I think it's a very good point you make but you only think that way if your taught to do it, see people struggling that are close to you or you have been through it yourself. Or if your a savings/investing freak.

Being on the dole takes no prisoners... all walks of life have been there. The figures are wrong as well. After 9 months of being on there anyone under 24 is moved off the unemployment register and is in training for the next 3 months. Over 24 it's after 18 months. So the figure is actually a lot higher. I have a degree and it means nothing whilst on there, what they want to see is effort in trying to get a job. Don't worry about the figures though as most young people are simply unemployable.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by Adono86]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   

People in general don't empathize with another until the brown stuff hits their fan.

Almost everyone thinks they made it on their own.

Much of it is luck.

I'm being outsourced soon too.

There is a lot going to happen in the next few years with all the jobs going over to China and India.

If companies aren't outsourcing they are insourcing.

I think that companies that insource or outsource ought to be regulated.

TPTB are determined to have two classes: the Haves and the not haves.

The middle class is being driven to extinction, systematically around the globe and nobody is rebelling.

I wish you luck.

Welcome to the NWO.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I've been known to harp on people who take extensive govt benefits, ie (unemployment for 99 weeks!). There is some notion in the US that the govt should take care of you until a job you like drops in your lap. Wrong! If there are no jobs near you then you MOVE to where the jobs are. Can you imagine if in America's history nobody moved out West? I think if today's people were in existence then the wild west would be uninhabited and everyone would be sitting around collecting welfare and food stamps on Ellis Island. If there are no jobs that exactly match your experience then you branch out and try something different. Take a lower lvl job just to get in somewhere if you have to. Yes, your standard of living may go down temporarily, but it's not the govts job to make sure you can keep your cable, cell phones, two cars, and dining out meal tickets.

The point is you have to do it, not the govt.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I feel your pain my friend, I was there up until about 18 months ago. I had a good job working for my local council and was also made redundant. For over 7 months I searched daily for a job. In all that time, I had 3 interviews, bearing in mind, I'm University educated and have worked since I was 16 in various roles. I was lucky enough to be offered the 3rd job, which is where I still am. The only trouble is that I took a £6k paycut and now I'm stuck here, in a job I hate, working for crap wages, because I still can't find a decent job in my area of expertise, which is also IT BTW.

Anyway, I still class myself as being lucky to find a job at all in this environment.

Keep looking mate, I'm sure something will come up sooner or later. It did for me, eventually.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join