It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why doesn't ATS still have the Computer Security Secrets & Solutions?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   
web.archive.org...

Sense I am a relatively new member, I wanted to look back at the old ATS. Why don't they have this forum anymore? I think it would be very interesting, and keeping your computer secure is important more now than ever.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
the objective is not to be anonymous anymore

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faiol
the objective is not to be anonymous anymore

What do you mean?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

I'm not sure I could agree with this statement.

Many people feel it's better to remain anonymous. Whether out of paranoia, or simply a desire to not broadcast all facets of their life publicly. I could be misconstruing your comment and missing the humour, but I felt the need to reply.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
you interpret the way you want to ...

the website possibly did go thought changes in their business propositions ... thats about it, there is no way to really know ... but thats what happened around the whole INTERNET

every website became more personal, they want to know more information about you

so, websites dont want u to be just another machine, they want to look at you as a person, thats probably why there are no more techniques tips on how to stay anonymous and how to defend yourself against the dangerous of the INTERNET (nowadays, A LOT my friend)

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   
This thread is on PC help in BTS

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Well first of all it looks like what you got there is the archive from sometime in 1998/99 when ATS was, as I understand it, an information site/newsletter and not a forum.

Understanding how hackers worked back then, vis a vis your "dial up modem's vulnerabilities" (I'm sorry that's just so poignantly retro funny) I guess was fine ... but it seems that those were more or less hacking instructions themselves ... you know, so you know how they would do it to you so you can protect yourself.

Anyhoot as it wasn't a forum there were no t&c ... namely this one:

2b.) HaXor: You will not use these Forums for the purposes of sharing or distributing viruses, licenses, registration information, software keys, "cracks," or other information designed to do harm to or allow unlawful access to any computer hardware, software, networks, or any other systems. You will also not link to sites that contains discussion of such material. Doing so will result in removal of your post(s) and immediate termination of your account.

Man it must have been fun around this place around those days ... they were doing all the kewl stuff that gets you banned now.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Phlynx

Good question.

As a relatively new member myself, I did not know this forum existed as well. I would be very interested in what kind of discussions and topics would go on.

I have two theories though of why they might have 86'd that forum.

1. For one, keeping up with computer tech, hackers and the ilk, maybe there was no point, being that as soon as a topic is brought up about a virus, firewall, or what have you, the information would be obsolete almost immediately.

2. Possibly too much illegal information, i.e. hacking, tracking, virus's, identity theft, etc. was running rampant. Kind of like the alt substance forum was aboloshed for a while, because of the same thing, i.e. stoners wanting to share their personal experiences instead of discussing the topic at hand.

Either way, I honestly don't know, but if had to guess, I'd go with theory number 2.

Anyways, just my $.02

[edit on 22-7-2010 by ZombieJesus]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
You know what's interesting ... we always complain that everything is repeated and recycled on the ATS, but I was just looking at this page from the linked archive: web.archive.org...

I did a search and no one that I can see has ever brought up STARR (Strategic Tactical Advanced Alien Response). Don't know if there's any truth to it or if was creative license but I'm sure gonna look it up.

one one hand there's this:
www.lonecryptics.co.uk...
on the other it's also part of this game product's description: www.amazon.com...

Anyhoot lots to look into if one likes internet adventures.

Sometimes I spend hours on the ATS wayback machine ... one can really dig up some original and well researched gems in there.

new topics

top topics

join