It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS and Mental Illness

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
well I have a duel diagnosis of sever depression and PTSD.

I have great doctors who understand these conditions medication constant feedback of how it is working adjustments when need and counseling

nothing to do with TV or ATS

but people with certain forms of mental illness don't seek because their brains are telling them they're alright and the worlds all wrong. Its takes a lot of convincing to get them to treament

I do believe in some ATS and it subject matter can be a problem for them but that isn't ATSs problem

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Read the edit I am not talking about everyone with a mental health diagnosis I am talking about people on ATS who come on and say something to the effect of. “ I have been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and last night I was abducted by aliens who told me i am a their profit”. For people like that ATS is not the best place.

And another thing, the banning thing is a very small part of my threat feel free to comment on the rest of it.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

I've studied psychology and the fact of the matter is that prescription drugs are being overprescribed. I don't think anyone doubts that severe mental illness should be treated with prescription drugs, but there are forces that want to move the line of what is severe and what isn't. That's what people, I would say, are getting at. Also, how "empirical" evidence or studies can be purposely skewed to make drugs look more effective than they are, and have lesser side effects than what they actually do. You have to remember, the drug companies hid the fact that antidepressants increase the risk for suicide the first couple months of taking it. That's a fact. Now they have a black box warning.

There are shady things going on in the drug industry, like in many industries so more profit can be made, but unlike other industries if the pharm industry cuts corners, people's health is on the line.

How to "best help" patients is first and foremost influenced by money, from the outset it's going to lead to problems for patients.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

I am more than willing to admit there is an overprescription of meds, but that doesn't mean someone who is prescribed them should take the advice of someone on ATS over the advice of their doctor. Furthermore, if a drug company reports false data, it will eventually be found out through independent studies, such as was the case with Prozac. While it's a shame that pharmaceutical companies aren't transparent, they do realize if they skew facts too much they will be found out. And while there is a slight increase in suicidal ideation in children who take SSRIs, suicide rates as a whole have drastically decreased since their introduction. They have been a godsend for many, but like every drug they have the potential to cause harm, however in the long run they do more good than harm.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

That’s quite a interesting contradiction compared to another ATSter who posted blaming is friends psychotic breakdown on this site.

I think it is great that GENERAL EYES had the smarts to use the site to his advantage, in seeking out therapeutic conversations with others with similar issues.

I don't blame the site, as much as the connections my friend made here. So I guess in essence, the site. But if it did good for someone else, awesome. I still come here, because I've also made connections with people of similar mind sets as me.

Sadly, my friend has zero ability to judge things on his own. If you show him a badly photoshopped picture of a giant cat, that cat will forever exist as real to him.

Trying to show him or some of the people here the dangers of what they discuss only gets you the label of a "disinfo" agent, and the cycle continues.

Can there be a line?

edit for the typo monster (it does exist)

[edit on 20-7-2010 by Demoncreeper]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
If you aren't mentally ill over what is happening around us and the world. You aren't paying attention.

Mental Illness is a very natural response to a unnatural world.
for real.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by superluminal11
If you aren't mentally ill over what is happening around us and the world. You aren't paying attention.

for real.

One of the greatest statements I've read in a long time.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
One thing is for sure and that is that there are a lot of people here whos brain chemistry or perception of the spectrum of reality is very different from consensus-reality.

I see this Spectrum or a 1-10 Scale. How far out someone is and where I am determines whether I think he/she is crazy or not. If Im on #6 I will think #1 and #10 are crazy. An example are ETs with #1 being "No ETs exist" and #10 "ETs are all around". Being on 6 of the Spectrum #1 and #10 sound, look and feel "mentally ill" to me.

Consensus-Reality is Majority-Reality. Where does mentally-ill start? Who defines or decides that? I think too little about reality, perception, chemistry is understood at this time to give a definitive answer. But we should not be shy to explore this and point out what we consider mentally-ill or normal.

Kudos to your courageous OP, yet another one that may not be that popular with ATSers.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Thank you, that’s a interesting way of looking at it. I never write threads that are aimed to appease most ATSter’s that might make me unpopular but i don’t mind.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
Read the edit I am not talking about everyone with a mental health diagnosis I am talking about people on ATS who come on and say something to the effect of. “ I have been diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia and last night I was abducted by aliens who told me i am a their profit”. For people like that ATS is not the best place.

And another thing, the banning thing is a very small part of my threat feel free to comment on the rest of it.

I think you should see a doctor about your obsession with people who claim to have seen aliens.

Seriously though, some folk with certain mental health issues have posted on your thread explaining that it makes them feel a tad better being here. They've made friends.

Don't you think it might be a bit more dangerous to ban someone. How would you tell them for a start? Who would you choose first, if you could pick someone, and what exactly would you say?

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by wigit

To be fair if they are using this site and disagree with me they are not going to tell me because what they would be saying is “yes ATS has made me madder”. What I am saying is that some of the threads on ATS such as those that fuel paranoid delusions or tell people their meds are bad for them are dangerous for people who might in a state of mind to take that stuff to be true.

This tread is about allot more than my one proposal to ban certain individuals based on their mental state. It’s also about how irresponsible some ATS members can be when conversing on ATS. More importantly what I was wanting to discuss were other people’s views on mental illness.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

Friend, I respect your opinion on this issue. but, I must say, the very term, "mental illness" is a term given by doctors who cannot understand the working of the mind on certain people. Mental illness is not something you "catch," or "get" what it is is a higher form of intelligence in some cases, and a departure from what people would call "normal behavior and thought." I happen to carry that label myself, given me by a medico long ago who spend time talking to me about things. One day I asked him why he felt it necessary to fill me with mind altering drugs. His answer really took me by surprise. He said, "Your mind works way up here...." (indicating far above his head) "....and I give you the drugs to bring you down here," (indicating his head) This says it all to me.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

Not a diagnosed psychiatric condition. The psychologist actually couldn't explain prescience with symptoms...

Have a look at the thread though when you get a chance; it's an interesting read...

problem is no one can call you out for being mental. you're a mod and that bestows you some cult like Jim Jones powers on here. But I'll try: Get some help. real help

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
When these ppl talk about how theyre schizo because of being abducted by aliens it's very real to them. Their perception of the world around them is as real to them as yours is to you

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Im not mental, your just all the same....

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Totalstranger
problem is no one can call you out for being mental. you're a mod and that bestows you some cult like Jim Jones powers on here. But I'll try: Get some help. real help

Not true...I have been called out by quite a few people. The thing is, I don't talk about it much and prefer to deal with the other issues of the board, most of the time...as well as keep track of potential new information on conspiratorial aspects, of which I consider a possibility among a few.

Thanks for your opinion but I suspect it was offered like much of the others...without a full attempt to consider all available information.

C'est La Vie..

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

any person with half of on idea of how things really work in this world would be described as metally unfit by a system that is designed to keep us in the dark

any realist who sees coruption and denounces it is called depressed or metally unfit

any non mainstream ideas people have that are not produced by propaganda of school media or society as a whole are described as conspiracy so by definition to be part of a conspiracy site we are all metally defective

this is a tool to keep the fit from being infected with conspiracy or illness of not beleving the programming

XPLodER

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
An interesting discussion here. Not sure if I agree completely with the OP, although there are some valid reasonings in the discussion offered.

The Mental Health Industry.. note the word Industry... must try and maintain itself, and in creating ever more illnesses to be medicated we would have to wonder about their Intent.

I hear and see. I get visions of things that always happen. I hear information and communicate with the dead, and other beings, etc.

It has been this way for me since I was a small boy, and yet I spent time in the Air Force, had a healthy marriage and children, held down jobs.. you know, the usual things that are expected of us in our Culture.

I've been to a psyche for 3 months to find out if they thought I was ill in any way. So I was up front, very honest about all my experiences.. even told them that I work as a psychic for a living.. and yet I still came away with a healthy report.. no notes or concerns just a clean bill of mental health!

I think to ban a whole segment of people from here would be the wrong thing to do.. but I also agree that some degree of balance should be offered in conversations.

Mental illness is a tricky path, for some they are genuinely experiencing a different reality to the one most people are. This doesn't mean we should label them and punish them accordingly. It does mean that as yet we do not have the tools required to fully understand the experience of others.

[/rant]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demoncreeper

Originally posted by superluminal11

for real.

One of the greatest statements I've read in a long time.

spot on star and flag
i beleive mental illness is beleving in
fossile fuel
pre-emtive war
we are alone in the universe
china slave labour will save us all
govenment that is not corrupt
GM Food is safe

XPLodER

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Ive made many post and arguments on here that most ATS members, you know who you are, are using this site in an unhealthy way.

The people posting things about alien abductions; the prediction people; the people with "powers"; the "enlightened" people; the people with black helo's flying over top; the religious people preaching; the witches and demon charmers; all these people here at ATS in my honest opinion are bordering on mental health problems of varying degrees and types.

The problem with sites like this is they influence sick people to become sicker. In reality, 80% of the ATS member base should have some parent/guardian/social worker/nurse watching over their activity here. This site is fun, but not for many people who frequent here due to these people not being able to control their own fantasy's in a healthy constructive fashion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join