It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Growing Number of Prosecutions for Videotaping the Police

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Growing Number of Prosecutions for Videotaping the Police

abcnews.go.com

But it wasn't his daredevil stunt that has the 25-year-old staff sergeant for the Maryland Air National Guard facing the possibility of 16 years in prison. For that, he was issued a speeding ticket. It was the video that Graber posted on YouTube one week later -- taken with his helmet camera -- of a plainclothes state trooper cutting him off and drawing a gun during the traffic stop near Baltimore.

In early April, state police officers raided Graber's parents' home in Abingdon, Md. They confiscated his camera, computers and external hard drives. Graber was indicted for allegedly violati
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19/7/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I think that sums it up.

16 years for posting up a video? Being on ABC. I'm going to guess this is real. Notice the cop, in plain clothes, doesn't pull out his badge, but decides his gun is good enough. No kidding anyone would post this on Youtube.

I realize this happen months ago, but the fact that more and more people are getting charged and pending imprisonment for incidents like these is ridiculous.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 19-7-2010 by Portugoal]

[edit on 19-7-2010 by Portugoal]

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 19/7/2010 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Graber was indicted for allegedly violating state wiretap laws by recording the trooper without his consent.

Cited From Source Article

16 years for violating wiretap laws?!?

And AT&T execs get retroactive immunity from the Bush Administration?!?!

This irks me a ton...

posted on Jul, 19 2010 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Wow, they really are trying to send a message here aren't they?

Video evidence has been a thorn in their side for quite some time.

When they can knock you off a bike, claim you tried to run them over, then arrest you for assault without worrying that someone caught their real abusive actions and lies on camera, we're all going to be in a world of hurt.

Their Word > Our Word.

- Lee

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
WHOA! almost 16 years for having evidence? wtf is wrong with the police? this is america, not nazi germany police officers* america is turning into a country of freedom and promise to a tight lcoked down iron curtain like the soviets did under communism, where the police got away with murder at their own free will*
i wonder what the judge thinks? police raided his house tohide the evidence* that is very apparent. how would that hold up in court? if it is illegal then to video tape police, then it should be illegal for news stations to tape everything around them. simply filming the truth somewhere makes yuo a villan? its getting worse* and we ahd all better be ready and ready to retaliate on them when the time comes

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
This quote from the story speaks volumes:

"Police and governmental recording of citizens is becoming more pervasive and to say that government can record you but you can't record, it speaks volumes about the mentality of people in government," Rocah said. "It's supposed to be the other way around: They work for us; we don't work for them."

abcnews.go.com...

Lets not forget this is a military guy also who they are doing this to. Everyone can really prepare now to have it stuck to them by their state and local police agencies. Once they all adopt this "policy" of arresting citizens for recording them "serving the community" those videos we watch on the web will be basically if not totally extinct.

Think about it, they can and will record you at any time they feel like, but almost always during any traffic stop. They will use it against you in the court of law, show it on national tv, put it on the web. You can do nothing about it, except possibly serve your time and/or pay your fines.

You on the other hand, can attempt to record them any time you want, but the police will arrest you for a felony, take the film and possibly any and all equipment used in the process, confiscate it. You still can do nothing about it, except possibly serve your time and/or pay your fines.

I just can't believe it, I never thought that in America of all places it might actually become illegal to video tape the police doing their jobs. They are really attempting to cover all the bases now, people should be outraged by this.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:29 AM
link   
well that just shows how stupid the law enforcement and prosecuters r where the hell is the wire he is taping for the wiretaping charge. if the idiot cop was smart he would have noticed the camera.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
This reminds me kinda of 'planet of the apes'..the human, was in their court, and when spoke, was ordered gagged so he coudnt speak. very barbaric and draconian laws* seems like the movie is becoming a relaity america

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by PersonalChoice
They are really attempting to cover all the bases now, people should be outraged by this.

The police seem like they are trying to start a gunfight with Americans or something.

*Everyday there is something new. They just keep pushing.

Hell they don't even have the decency to bring you indoors before they torture you anymore. Even the gestapo had the decency to bring you to a private place for the electro-torture.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:21 AM
link   
That "officer" is lucky he didn't pull that stunt on me.

If you come out of your car with a drawn weapon....expect to DIE before you even get the first words out of your mouth!

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
i've been doing copwatch for a few years now and there is nothing illegal about filming the police when they are on duty since they are public officers in a public area.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Well why not try and get the police charged on wiretapping when they film you?
Oh right, the law doesn't work for us, they only work for them.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by bismarcksea

You got it right there, dude. He should've shot the cop on the spot. Hey, the man didn't show any ID, only his gun. For all the victim knew, he could've been a robber, murderer, kidnaper or serial killer. To be shot a few times should teach those retarded excuses for cops who's boss.

Edit to add: Of course, the best part of that would be the part where you walk out of the courtroom a free man after the trial, and is able to give finger to the cops that accused you of trying to kill their colleague (That is, if he survived his retardedness). No point in winning if you can't gloat.

Edit to add: We should, however, note the police car at the end of the video, parked behind the bike. It might not be all that not obvious that the plaincloths man was a cop.

[edit on 20-7-2010 by David_Reale]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
when the media chases down some hollywood actor, or some other famous person, asking them stupid questions that the people don't want answered, while cameras are running, well, that must be illegal also then, right....
I mean, it's obvious that the people being chased down don't want to be filmed!!!

this picking and chosing when to enforce laws has got to stop!!!

how about the security cameras in stores...it's pretty obvious that the robber doesn't want to be on camera either!!!
by the way, any cop who might happen to pull me over better have a badge shown before a gun is drawn, or he's gonna have some sore nuts....
I might be dead, but he will definately have some sore nuts

[edit on 20-7-2010 by dawnstar]

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Here is an offer to any Americans out there. If you film something dodgey and feel it may end you up in trouble, then send it to me and I will post it for you. Umm wait..................... awe crap forget that, I just re-read our extradition treaty............................

Anyway, this sucks and yes here in blighty, the mighty Labour party a couple of years ago also made it illegal to film cops, yet we are the 3rd most spied on nation in the WORLD!!!

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
not to sound stupid but how the heck can this guy be charged with wiretaping. the guy was not taping a wire i.e. a telephone or cable line to get recording. and if cop was to stupid to notice the kid had a helmet cam on his head thats to bad . internal affairs should be bring cop up on charges for drawing his weapon without identifying himself as law enforcement. he could have been a car jacker or someother kinda of idiot.

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I will copy and paste the same reply that I gave in the other post:

If this doesn't reek of a police state, I don't know what does. This is actually very angering. They can apparently video tape us, yet we can't video tape them. People wonder why everyone is losing respect for authority these days.

--airspoon

Edit to add:

This is the video in question:

A news clip of the incident:

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 20 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
It's all getting out of hand. I really do see the police state coming. If any person is in a public place, they should be able to be filmed. That's their whole thing about CCTV, yet they take extra measures to protect the people that carry out their authority.

new topics

top topics

join