It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life on Earth wiped out every 27 million years (but we've got about 16 million years until the next

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Life on Earth wiped out every 27 million years (but we've got about 16 million years until the next one)

www.dailymail.co.uk

Life on Earth is wiped out every 27 million years – and we have about 16 million years left until the next extinction, according to scientists.
Research into so-called ‘extinction events’ for our planet over the past 500 million years - twice as long as any previous studies - has proved that they crop up with metronomic regularity.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I don't know exactly what to make of this but I'm sure enough people here have an opinion/heard of a theory that says these events happen every 5000 years or 26000 years and so on.

The last extinction event, 11 million years ago, saw 10 per cent of the Earth’s inhabitants wiped out.
This means there is around 16million years until the next event takes place, although the graph shows that it occasionally the event takes place up to 10 million years

* I'm keeping the sensationalist source in mind because I don't see how exactly this can be pinned to exact over 27 million year periods.

Thoughts?

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-7-2010 by Portugoal]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
This is just the MSM rubbing our bellies and trying to make us feel good. What a load of B.S.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Well this is a relief! Whew!
I was starting to get worried........

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
HE IS COMING

AND THEY ARE COMING

Anywho, this makes sense.

Extinction is a major generator of life.

Just be happy that despite these extinction, life continues to evolve at the same rate:

[edit on 13-7-2010 by Gorman91]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

Mass extinction comes every 62 million years, UC physicists discover

With surprising and mysterious regularity, life on Earth has flourished and vanished in cycles of mass extinction every 62 million years, say two UC Berkeley scientists who discovered the pattern after a painstaking computer study of fossil records going back for more than 500 million years.

Their findings are certain to generate a renewed burst of speculation among scientists who study the history and evolution of life. Each period of abundant life and each mass extinction has itself covered at least a few million years -- and the trend of biodiversity has been rising steadily ever since the last mass extinction, when dinosaurs and millions of other life forms went extinct about 65 million years ago.

www.livescience.com...

Research has revealed that the rise and fall of species on Earth seems to be driven by the undulating motions of our solar system as it travels through the Milky Way. Some scientists believe that this cosmic force may offer the answer to some of the biggest questions in our Earth’s biological history—especially where evolution has fallen short.

Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley found that marine fossil records show that biodiversity increases and decreases based on a 62-million-year cycle. At least two of the Earth's great mass extinctions-the Permian extinction 250 million years ago and the Ordovician extinction about 450 million years ago-correspond with peaks of this cycle, which can't be explained by evolutionary theory.
----
Our own star moves toward and away from the Milky Way's center, and also up and down through the galactic plane. One complete up-and-down cycle takes 64 million years- suspiciously close to the Earth's biodiversity cycle.

Once the researchers independently confirmed the biodiversity cycle, they then proposed a novel mechanism whereby which the Sun's galactic travels is causing it.
----
Normally, our galaxy's magnetic field shields our solar system from this "galactic wind." But every 64 million years, the solar system's cyclical travels take it above the galactic plane.

"When we emerge out of the disk, we have less protection, so we become exposed to many more cosmic rays," Melott has said.

www.itwire.com...

As the Earth’s solar system travels around the center of the Milky Way galaxy, it also wobbles up and down from the galaxy’s disc. U.S. scientists found that these swings take about 62 million years to complete—thus, may expose the Earth to higher doses of dangerous cosmic ray that may also cause mass extinctions.

Galactic Drift and Mass Extinction

With a 3-million year uncertainty in the calculations, that 64 million year cycle matches well enough with the 62 million year cycle of extinctions. The match resonates with Richard Muller, who says of the KU team: “They succeeded where I failed in coming up with a possible explanation for the effect that we observed.” And if they’re right, we have time to prepare for the next major event, since the Solar System has just passed the mid-plane of the galaxy.
---
The extinction event that cries out for explanation here is the most recent, the Cretaceous/Tertiary dinosaur extinction that dates back some 65 million years. It’s exceptional in this context because it occurred within two million years of the Solar System’s mid-plane galactic crossing.

[edit on 13/7/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I think their data may be flawed. I thought there was a mass extinction event going on right now and we could be the source. Of course not too many people believe humans have been around for millions of years so something that routinely causes mass extinctions here without humans doing it would be a cause for alarm. There was one episode of Star Trek Voyager I believe where life on Earth faced a mass extinction event and one of the intelligent dinosaurs of the time managed to build spaceships and leave the Earth behind. Perhaps a new variable to how many planets in the universe have intelligent life would be the odds of the intelligent life developing a means of leaving their home planet for good.

If the scientists are 99 percent sure we have periodic mass extinctions here but happen to be off several million years, we may need those spaceships like yesterday. I still don't like the thought that cockroaches may one day take over the planet. They can handle 100,000 times the radiation of a human if I remember that correctly. As far as radiation goes, cockroaches need a direct nuclear hit to die off due to radiation. We humans die a lot easier.

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45
This is just the MSM rubbing our bellies and trying to make us feel good. What a load of B.S.

I agree, interesting number doe

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...
here we go

[edit on 13-7-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

posted on Jul, 13 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
HE IS COMING

AND THEY ARE COMING

Anywho, this makes sense.

Extinction is a major generator of life.

Just be happy that despite these extinction, life continues to evolve at the same rate:

Lol I think I am the only one to notice who Sovereign is. I just hope the council doesn't keep sitting on their hands about this one.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Strange I actually went back to college after many many many year hiatus and just the other day I read the a pole shift is "overdue" by a 20,000 years or so. I guess sit all depends on whose side you want to believe and re-enforces the fact that for all our advancements and self feelgood accomplishments we really still don't know a damn thing about whats gonna happen. No attack on the OP intended just funny how many different points of views there are out there. Either that or a pole reversal isn't an extinction event?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by ArkayikRuination

Sigh. if they only understood TRUE power.

Roses are read, violets are blue, assuming control, this hurts you.

Whatever.

Personally I do see it as a nonsensical situation, just plain odd. I mean, what out there manages to hit us every 27 million years on the dime?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
My favorite part of the article:

... although the graph shows that it occasionally the event takes place up to 10 million years early.

That's really regular isn't it?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I've always maintained the theory that there has been several extremely technologically advanced civilizations on Earth. When I say advanced I mean more so than we are today. Their technology could of been different than what we use today, powered by a different means.

Every few dozen-million years every trace of existence is wiped clean from the face of the Earth and life "begins" again.

[edit on 14-7-2010 by zarlaan]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by zarlaan

But this is not true. Biodiversity is not affected by these extinctions. In addition, brain development has only been really advanced in the last few million years between several species.

Why is it that other intelligences are not shown and that biodiversity remains the same?

Life does not start over. Life awakens to the destroyed world with all the genetic data of their ancestors and within 1 million years is back to the level it was before.

For instance, while the dinosaurs we know of went extinct 65 million years ago, within a few million years birds replaced them.

Dinosaurs technically never went extinct. and only 2 million years ago, large dinosaur-like birds roamed the Earth, such as Titanis:

Yea, that's a freaking horse:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The truth is, bio diversity only increases from extinctions, and in fact, if there was any intelligent species before us, we would see them and their evidence. Mass extinctions are more like speed bumps than extinctions. In a galactic eye blink, life is back.

In fact, life was plenty diverse before dinosaurs. The reptile-like mammals were plentiful:

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 14-7-2010 by Gorman91]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
In the case of mass extinction, we are outside this alleged 27 million year cycle and are perpetuating our own mass extinction event. It is called the Holocene Extinction

It has been well underway and irreversible as man slaughters countless species through industrialization, greed, pollution and oil spills.

The evidence clearly shows, the food chain is not surviving man's appetite. You are living in a Mass Extinction Event. Yet you probably do nothing to stop it.

Pity.

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   

27 million years, no wonder he's so angry when he wakes up. He's really really hungry.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e82facbef58b.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Let me get this straight:

Every 27 million years life gets wiped out, we have 16 million to the next one.

27 - 16= 11 million years ago there was a mass extinction?

I don't remember one at that time, but I do remember one that happened 63-65 million years ago.

And for the record there has been 5 extinction events in the last 540 million years. Or one every 108 years.

These are known as the BIG FIVE.

I wonder how they come to these new conclusions?

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Here are some good sites with interesting theories. A little snippet from each is given to pique interest. I do like these theories more than some of the Armageddon talk I am hearing lately..
www.articlesbase.com...

With 2012 only a couple years away I hear a lot of talk about the biblical prophecies that most modern religions interpret as "the end of the world." This of course stems from several cosmologies from around the world that have astrological calendars with significant dates from 2011 to 2013. These philosophies include the Hopi Indians, Tibetan beliefs, and the famous Mayan calendar. I have noticed in the past, there has never been a shortage of interpretations regarding these exciting predictions. The challenge I found is the lack of unity these theories seemed to have. This is not a new trend. Throughout history when new philosophies are born it seems they rarely give much credit to their sources. You will notice most religious symbols, rituals, and holidays have pagan (A word Roman’s used for local or native) roots. Religion is the oldest game on the planet. On the other side Mysticism has over centuries adopted many of the structured beliefs we find mainly in modern religion. There is a teaching in the bible that states, by two or three witnesses will truth be established. I believe that by combining different philosophies we can find some clarity on these tricky prophecies. Read more: www.articlesbase.com... Under Creative Commons License: Attribution

www.earthscape.net...

Planet Earth is nearing the completion of an evolutionary cycle that originated approximately 480,000 years ago. At the beginning of each such cycle, a "blueprint" is established to guide the nature of the experiences that are to unfold throughout the cycle. With regard to Earth, the blueprint for this particular evolutionary cycle was designed to provide souls an opportunity to experience a great diversity of life forms. Thus, in the beginning, samples of genetic structures were gathered from planetary systems throughout our universe. These were then used to create a wide variety of plant and animal forms. Approximately 300,000 years ago, conditions had evolved to the point that it was deemed appropriate to seed the planet with sentient species. Thus, a large number of new souls were created, and a variety of human and cetacean forms were seeded upon the lands and within the oceans.

This last is a little "out there" but I am willing to believe what they are saying. A little hokey for sure but, Peace and love.... is always a good thing.144000.net...

To battle against the world of darkness, you will need the world of light to triumph over the influence of war, you will depend upon the angel of peace; to battle against sickness, pagues, and death you will have the charity of those invisible beings who are ready to pour their balsam of charity and comfort upon humanity. Now that I have informed you of the kindness and elevation of these beings, I must tell you that they are pure and thus can speak to the world about purity. They love me and love you, therefore, they have the right to speak of love. They are saturated with health and well-being and can share this with those who are ill. Do you believe that they have always been virtuous beings? Are you not aware that a great number of them have dwelled on Earth and have known of the weaknesses and great faults?

And this video was great too, the last in a 7 part series, mentioning the Mayans and the other ancient tribes aware of the coming Earth change!

I wanna believe!

[edit on 14-7-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Jul, 14 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreDreaming
In the case of mass extinction, we are outside this alleged 27 million year cycle and are perpetuating our own mass extinction event. It is called the Holocene Extinction

It has been well underway and irreversible as man slaughters countless species through industrialization, greed, pollution and oil spills.

The evidence clearly shows, the food chain is not surviving man's appetite. You are living in a Mass Extinction Event. Yet you probably do nothing to stop it.

Pity.

Star. So very true...but, we will be assisted by the 144 Thousand Light Beings. "Ancient Brotherhood of Light," from Atlantis and Lemuria. It might get a little ugly before it gets better but we will survive and live in peace until well into the year 4000...

[edit on 14-7-2010 by rusethorcain]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join