It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US public turn to european media for news.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 05:32 PM
link   
... funny that...

www.journalism.co.uk...

The threat of war in Iraq is driving increasing numbers of Americans to British and international news web sites in search of the broader picture.

According to the internet audience management and analysis company, Nielsen NetRatings, traffic to the UK's biggest news sites, BBC News Online and Guardian Unlimited, has increased dramatically over the past year. Many of these new users are from the US.

Jon Dennis, deputy news editor of the Guardian Unlimited web site said: "We have noticed an upsurge in traffic from America, primarily because we are receiving more emails from US visitors thanking us for reporting on worldwide news in a way that is unavailable in the US media."

The American public is apparently turning away from the mostly US-centric American media in search of unbiased reporting and other points of views. Much of the US media's reaction to France and Germany's intransigence on the Iraqi war issue has verged on the xenophobic, even in the so-called 'respectable' press. Some reporting has verged on the hysterical - one US news web site, NewsMax.com, recently captioned a photograph of young German anti-war protesters as "Hitler's children".

Sources:
www.whatreallyhappened.com...
www.wausaudailyherald.com... 280556628835362.shtml
news.bbc.co.uk...
www.nielsen-netratings.com...
www.guardian.co.uk...
www.worldnewsnetwork.com...
www.urban75.com...
www.yearzero.org...

[Edited on 11-3-2003 by Netchicken]

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Hi netchicken......

The media has great influence ..........

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 07:53 PM
link   
The US doesn't think their media is liberal enough; they need to go elsewhere?

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 08:11 PM
link   
No, it's liberal enough, just needs more anti-American sauce for the self-loathers.

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Could it be that american media is not seen as reflecting the truth but is instead a tool of the political and military machinery? Hence the search for a more "unbiased" media - such as BBC et al....

... maybe ones choice of media depends on where they get their warm fuzzies from

(BTW those links from the page were pretty lame, I thought they would be better... )

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
No, it's liberal enough, just needs more anti-American sauce for the self-loathers.

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Hi .....Thomas Crowne

Hi ......Bob88

....all im saying, is that it is good for all to see what other world media has to say for what is happening.....

let the people decide what is right or wrong.......

I watch the greek news and theres always something different to what is said in the western world.......many things are only one sided .not that the greek news is right....the point is that i think that the people should be allowed to see two sides of the story, be it truth or false........how do we know what really is the truth???

[Edited on 12-3-2003 by helen]

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Oh, don't get me wrong, I trust nobody, whether it is domestic or foreign. Both have their own agendas. Most of our media is already biased against the U.S. traditional way of life and the current administration is all I'm saying.

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 08:49 PM
link   
i have never been to America........I'm sure the people are like here in Australia..............

I'ts not the people of America that the world is biased .

I'ts the whole of society and its power towards world issues .....
I's WHO governs the World thathas most people(my opinion) weary of..........

Friends of myn have been to the U.S.A and think the world of its people..........
The richness in their hearts for their country..... Christianity is more alive in the U.S.A then here in Australia......
So as for the media,i dont beleive one from the other.........but who is to say that what we hear is that of truth.............
IM not biased......I,as others i'm sure have their doubts to what is seen or heard on all MEDIA ............

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Just watch Fox and you'll be ok.

posted on Mar, 11 2003 @ 09:21 PM
link   
i personally watch a little bit of everything cause they all suck when it comes to unbias reporting. maybe some are looking for a more liberal point of view but i don't think all are at least i'm not the truth is always somewhere in the middle and that's where i sit sometimes. i think american media has a big problem because they are so buck controlled. when you are watching a station that only takes one part without showing the other side of the coin it becomes less than journalism and more like theater. and even when you show the other side they spin it in a less than positive light.

it's going to be interesting to watch the reports coming from the front during the war. with all the new technology and access being granted...i wonder if all the pieces will turn out to be fluff to woo the masses or if we will get some real hard-core reporting.

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
in search of unbiased reporting

The most funny/sad thing ever written on ATS.

99% of the EU media are left biased !

top topics

join