It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So was it a helicopter or not? That China UFO photo.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
First of all I'd just like to say that my mind isn't made up. I really have no more idea than anybody else whether this is a UFO or helicopter pictured.

That said, here is the picture in question and the reasons I think it is more than likely a helicopter:

I am by no means an expert but I will try to analyse this picture as best I can.

First I will point out why I don't think this is a solid object in the sky. In the below picture I have circled blurring of the buildings. This effect is obviously due to camera movement during the pediod the shutter was open.
This is the same reason the helicopter appears as a flat bar of light, because it has moved that distance while the shutter was open.

Why then do we not get the same blurring effect at the right-hand side of the "UFO"?

Because what we see in the picture is not a solid object, and because the actual object was moving right to left.

Next, we have a blown up picture of the "UFO". I have done this to highlight the "portholes" or flashing light on the side. The portholes appear because the strobing liht turns on while the helicopter is in that position in the photo.

If we use my earlier theory that the helicopter is traveling from right to left, then this picture shows the helicopter with a continuous red light, and a flashing white light. While the shutter was open the flashing white light flashed 5 times.

At the start of the photo we have a white flash, followed by a long pause, then a flash and a short pause and another flash. We then have another pause, a little bit shorter than the first one, followed by the double flash sequence again.

The bright white light underneath the helicopter is the search/spotlight. The reason it looks like it is "glowing" so much is because the photo is overexposed, as evidenced by the light wash around the power lines and the very bright tree to the right of the photo.

UPDATE. Here is a clearer version of the original picture. It clearly shows that this is not a picture of a solid object and shows the long exposure effect more clearly. From this picture it can be seen that it is not a spotlight but 2 white lights. It also shows evidence of image tampering.

Then we have some other long exposure pictures of helicopters seen here on ATS previously which show the same search/spotlight characteristics with many showing the flashing light characteristic as well.

Airplane. Slow blinking white light and fast flashing red light:

Helicopter. Continuous white light (?) flashing red lights:

Helicopter. Continuous search light. Flashing lights washed out. There is also another aircraft in the top right of the picture. The fireworks are evidence of a long exposure.

What I would ideally like to do is find out FAA (or Chinese equivalent) regulations regarding warning lights on aircraft. This would likely prove (or disprove) the aircraft in this picture. If anybody can help I would be grateful.

Please keep in mind that I don't think that a helicopter shut down the airport. I don't think a helicopter is what was witnessed. I do, however think that it is definitely a helicopter in this picture and is more than likely unrelated to the incident.

[edit on 10/7/10 by GobbledokTChipeater]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by GobbledokTChipeater

There is no way on gods green earth with little oil added that photo is a helicopter.
ive never in my life seen a flat helicopter theres no sing of a rotor its not even close to the shape of a helicopter. Also a helicopter is one of the easiest objects to identify the shape the sound.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kodiak60

Have you ever seen a photograph of a helicopter taken with a camera using a long exposure ?

obviously not.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by kodiak60

There is no way on gods green earth with little oil added that photo is a helicopter.
ive never in my life seen a flat helicopter theres no sing of a rotor its not even close to the shape of a helicopter.

But did you see the other pictures which are confirmed to be helicopters? There are no signs of rotors in those either. I'm not saying the helicopter is flat, the flat effect illustrates the helicopters movement during the period of the photo. Also, have a look at the update photo which is a clearer version of the originally shown one.

Originally posted by kodiak60

Also a helicopter is one of the easiest objects to identify the shape the sound.

I think the photographer is being dishonest.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
It is an overexposed picture of an airplane descending on the airport..my goodness people....yet..this is just my .02

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I haven't seen it confirmed that this pic is supposidly of the Airport UFO..

So I dont think it matters that much..

And he must be a lousy photographer if he sets to long exposure and then moves the camera..Why not a tripod??

Just seems BS to me.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Before someone says "why would they shut down an airport for a helicopter or aircraft?", let me tell you why.

Airports have controlled airspace. Every flight in and out must communicate with the airport's air traffic control so they can be directed safety around the airspace, insuring nobody crashes into each other.

Sometimes private and military aircraft will enter an airspace without communicating with air traffic control in that area, so the aircraft is "unidentified" to the airport. They don't know who it is, or where they are going. This is not safe to all the incoming and outgoing flights because air traffic control can not predict were the unidentified craft is going to fly. So to avoid crashes, they just "closed" the airport (stopped all flights).

Now to the topic. Here is a video example of how to take long exposure shots:

Now imagine what the picture would look like if he was not filming cars, but a helicopter with a search light like this:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e0de7df91191.png[/atsimg]

This is what it would look like...

This is a CONFIRMED image of a helicopter and it's search light. It is a 6 second exposure to light. Meaning 6 seconds of movement are recorded onto the image.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/09a971ccdf10.png[/atsimg]

The original image that came with the China airport drama is showing definite signs of long exposure. You can even see that the camera was moved during it's exposure to light. You can even determine the angle that the camera moved, and the amount that it moved based on the distance between the ghost power line and the actual power line.

I honestly think the object in the original image is obviously an aircraft with flashing red strobe light taken with a slow shutter speed on the camera (long exposure).

No doubt about it.

[edit on 10-7-2010 by eennoo]

fixed youtube video and picture size

[edit on 10-7-2010 by eennoo]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
why open another discussion about it? i think the original thread had the same arguments and questions. now its just more scattered than anything. c'mon guys lets stick to one thread for the same subject!

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggyproductions05

THANK YOU!!!!

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by bamagurl
It is an overexposed picture of an airplane descending on the airport..my goodness people....yet..this is just my .02

Yes could even be an airplane. It must have been going slow though, due to the 5 light flashes and small amount of movement. We could work out approximately how long the shutter was open for if we knew regulations on flashing warning lights on aircraft.

Originally posted by virgom129

I haven't seen it confirmed that this pic is supposidly of the Airport UFO..

Yep I've never seen it confirmed either. It all seems a bit hearsay to me.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggyproductions05
why open another discussion about it?

Would it be better if I put [NEW PICS!] in the subject line?

JK, I understand but I still had people asking me why I thought a heli had shut down the airport, despite me saying otherwise. I also had people asking me where were similar pics of helicopters. So I put all of the information together in one spot where people couldn't mistake what I was saying.

I think it's a good contrasting thread to have.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I found some more information!

Here's what I think we are seeing in this picture:

Navigation lights: All aircraft are equipped with a steady light near the leading edge of each wingtip. When facing forward from the perspective of the pilot, the light on the right wingtip is green while that on the left wing is red. The different colors make it possible for an outside observer, such as the pilot of another aircraft, to determine which direction the plane is flying.

Strobe lights: High-intensity strobe lights that flash a white-colored light are located on each wingtip. Most smaller planes are only equipped with one of these strobes near the leading edge just behind the red or green navigation light. Larger airliners may be equipped with an additional strobe at the trailing edge as well. These flashing lights are very bright and intended to attract attention during flight. They are sometimes also used on the runway and during taxi to make the plane more conspicuous.

Landing lights: Bright white landing lights are usually fitted to most planes for enhanced visibility during the landing approach. These lights can also be used to illuminate the runway at poorly lit airports. They are often required for night landings but also commonly used during the day as well to make the plane more noticeable. While the usage of these lights is common, their location can vary from plane to plane. Landing lights may be located in the wing root, in the outboard wing, or somewhere along the forward fuselage.

Source

That would place a red light on the wingtip, a white strobe on the wingtip and probably landing lights under the fuselage.

I assume these are only for airplanes, couldn't find anything for helicopters. They would be very similar though I would imagine.

That explains the 3 different lights seen and also back up my theory of the aircraft going right to left across the photo.

I think this is almost proof that what we see is a normal human aircraft.

[edit on 10/7/10 by GobbledokTChipeater]

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I am going with something flying which was taken with long exposure. Looking at the other pictures proves we can't always trust our eyes.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   

You're wasting your breath, mate.

The True Believers won't listen to you. They have zero knowledge of photography and think every plane coming in to land at an airport is a UFO.

I've actually seen things which I can't explain but these people are just credulous types who really take the biscuit.

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slippery Jim

You're wasting your breath, mate.

The True Believers won't listen to you. They have zero knowledge of photography and think every plane coming in to land at an airport is a UFO.

I've actually seen things which I can't explain but these people are just credulous types who really take the biscuit.

Unfortunately......that's about the size of it

posted on Jul, 10 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   

GobbledokTChipeater.....

It's a helicopter

Cheers
Maybe...maybe not

PS: Wow.....I got to make a post after the thread was closed!

[edit on 10-7-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

top topics

join