It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can the light saber be made?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by intelgurl

damn man thats great, i never thought of that, your idea makes my idea look like child's play!!!

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Is there a laser type beam that is powerful enough to but through things?

If so perhaps it would be possible to angle two of these beams to meet about 4 feet from the tip of your handle?

Then maybe use the principle of constructive and destructive interference to stop the "blade"?

That is of course if you get passed the miniturization of the power source.

Anything is possible. Our dreams actually drive invention. I know of a guy that did a paper on this concept. Many of todays toys and gadgets were dreamed up in sci-fi books and novels. Literature and imagination drive reality and progress.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
power source could be using nuclear fusion being developed atm! One nuclear fusion unit could last a lifetime could be used to power cars a house anything its just the development now lol! It only has to be as big as ur palm!

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
I remember reading somewhere on the thread that you could aim two lasers at each other to cancel each other out and create a blade at whim. felesmagus.com... shows how to make a small cutting laser from a dvd burner. It is AA battery powered.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
What if you make a 'ring' of lasers on the outside of the blade pointed straight up, and aim another 'ring' of lasers on the inside of this cilinder to cross the other lasers at a specific distance from the hilt?
These lasers should be set so that they'd both deflect towards the middle of the blade, where the hilt will magnetically pull the energy back inside of it by the usage of a narrow magnetic/gravitic field to recharge it's own energy supply.
That way the saber would lose little to no energy when no action is going on and only lose energy when it hits something.

They are already thinking of creating micro-black holes by bumping matter into eachother very fast, so why not use those?

Downsides:
-You'd still not be able to hit anything mirror-like.
-You'll have to charge the saber once in a while

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I wrote up an idea, for the engineering of an actual lightsaber; however, until I post the information, I found a picture which may be relevant:

src:www.tms.org...

[edit on 27/8/2008 by agent violet]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
it is very possiball to create a lightsaber. just not made out of "laser" but plasma. it is impossiball to heat light up to that degree of heat to cut through things so quick. also humans can not harness light to limit the length of the saber. plasma can be harnessed to limit the length of the saber. same with the blaster pistols in star wars, plasma not laser.
in space shuttles they are replacing the windows with larger thiner and stronger plasma widows. i hope i helped you guys to realize not laser but plasma!

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
It's not possible right now but it will be, I've been looking up on how to build one and there are several teams working on the Lightsaber, one person claims he made one but I won't believe him unless he posts up a video, he says it's not full scale though, the biggest problem in making a Lightsaber is getting the Laser to stop. In order to do that you need to generators in your lightsaber, so the laser can stop, sorry, I'm not an expert on this, I've just been reading, I'll let you guys know if a real one is made.

E-mail this dude, he is the guy who claimed to of made a real one:
[email protected]

Here is the link as well:
Real Lightsaber Link Here

Hope this helps a little, see ya

[edit on 11-9-2008 by kkahluadarkj]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by agent violet

If anyone makes a Lightsaber first it probably will be you, can you keep in touch with me, I really want to know if you succeed, here is my E-mail:
[email protected]

See ya

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by kkahluadarkj

Read the whole thread and you’ll see that he didn’t.

He actually bothered to make a mini-graflex on a blow-torch.

Topic should be: " Real lightsaber, I made none"

Why is everyone on my case. i thought you would think it was neat. So what if it is a high powered 3500 degree f blow torch that can melt things in a few seconds, and visually looks similar to a lightsaber.

Funny thread though

Edit to add:

But it is closer than anything so far, and it still is hot 3500 degree F hot.

you wouldnt be able to stand that much heat. your body will shrivlle up into a little molecule

ROFLMAO

[edit on 9/12/2008 by defcon5]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   
There is a thread already posted about this subject..im sure there is lots of info on that www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
The problem is, as said millions of times before, is containing the laser beam to just say there in the same place. And think about it, sometimes i swing around a bat like a sword or someting (give me a break I'm 9) and sometims i hit myself. if it was a real lightsaber more people would kill themselves in war then other people would get killed by someone else. I bet about 10 percent of people in america knows how to use swords. If those japanese ninjas gets lghtsabers america is screwed (especially if obama is president)

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
You could make a light saber out of plasma... Scientists have already made plasma cylinders... they are hot enough to cut through just about everything. The only problem now is that the device that makes the plasma cylinder is bigger than a mini-van. Also the heat radiated from it and the distance from plasma to hand is a little sketchy. They'll need some sort of heat shield too. So until they can shrink that plasma generator down to the size of a handle and contain the heat to prevent user burn... there will be no lightsabers. But it is possible.

posted on Oct, 26 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
well actually I've been thinkin about it.Its possible but would cost alot alot alot and lots of money..to you it may not be alot but i dont have a super big pocket so to me it is.

First you would need a very strong laser..
something 2500mh? at least..
This lightsaber would not be enough to cut through metal and stuff like in star wars but you can use stronger lasers to.
For now atleast it can a few plastics and paper..
But you would need to take apart the laser
Buy a tube/pipe big enough for it,but not to unauthentic big.
Put aluminum on the sides so the beams dont just hit the
pipe's wall and die...
Instead it would reflect up.
Install it in thepipe/tube (Pipe can be bought from a hardware store)
Now your going to buy a pipe cap one big enough to fit your pipe/tube
and also put some aluminum linening on it.
Now put them together...
Your laser should be installed so that the beam emits upwards.
Now since you guys are thinking isnt the beam going to uncontrolled since there is no way of modifying beam length...
WRONG!!!!!!!
Instead of modify...manipulate.
Get some thin strong metal....preferabely kind of roundish like a metal coat hanger..but one may not work seeing as the laser may melt it after a while...but anywas
Took those two into the tube..
You may cut the two wires to w/e beam length you want.
Now secure the two wires using some glue(Gorilla in this case is the best)
Now at the top of the wires..
Put a nice little reflecter such as aluminum or glass..
Now you see where im going?
Secure the reflecter down..
Now when the beam projects instead of wild it would just bounce back down and make the beam even nice and thicker...
Now even though you may have the wires at the side it wouldnt really
kill the fun of it..
You know have a fully functional lightsaber that can cut through light materials.

This is not an actual tut but this is an idea of how we make something very similar...
Im going to try this very soon and if sucessful Ill make pic&vid tut on how to do it...
Heck I'd probably use a 5000mh laser on the tut to make it a bit real.
Well if you were to go past 2500-5000mh Your going to have to buy a thin cap a bit samller than the tube..cut a hole in it big enough for the beam to come out.But not big enough for it to return in now if you put that down the tube instead of the beam going hitting the projection again its going to become 1.wider, 2.stronger, 3.better.

Again this is a basic concept idea,
No real instructions just a brief explanation.

The downside that the laser may have to be powered by outlet..either that or your runnin around with a huge battery or generator in your bookbag to power the laser...

LOL

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Most of the desktop computers we have today are completely beyond the imagination of the people that built all of the 'super computers' of the past. The only different between fantasy and reality is the availability of the means to get there.
If there was one thing humanity should have learned from Nicholas Telsa by now is that what can be done with energy is limitless. Technology in the 1920s also had more promise than the technological junk that's currently being puked out.
What's impossible today is tomorrow's common experience. Never account humanity to learn from its past though. We'll have lightsabers if and when humanity finally get pas the idea there is such a thing as limitation.

Two things that always made Star Trek and Star Wars so enjoyable and diverse. When someone from those universes saw something they couldn't themselves do, they didn't say, "That's impossible!" They asked who, what, when, where, why, and how. The only one that ever did make that statement in the whole of those series was Luke and Yoda cracked him over the head till he didn't say that again. Wise old thing.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by Old_One]

posted on Nov, 11 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Technically we could but then again really we couldn't. And to be realistic it wouldn't be a "light" saber, we could make a "plasma" saber though. Light though wouldn't work because for one it doesn't stop at a certain point like a light saber light travels on and on and technically cannot cut through things. We could though take a tube and put plasma in it which when heated would glow neon very much like the real thing which i have seen online but in order to not only make it shine but to cut through metal if we had something that could heat the plasma in the tube to temperatures of up to 200,000,000 degrees then it would be able to cut through metal and pretty much any substance on earth. It would also repel another plasma light saber because plasma particles repel each other so it would be much like a light saber. BUT with our current technology we can't get things even close to being that hot and even if you did it would be so hot it would be more of a hazard to you than to your opponent so for now we'll just have to accept the shiny neon glass tubes we have.

posted on Nov, 14 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I think it would be very difficult if you did not have some sort of core inside the light, but if the handle part had some type of energy emitting metal ariel that shot out 2 feet when you switched it on, and that ariel could emit......I don't know what, but some type of high intensity light or laser...?

Makes ya fink..!

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Makes for an interesting theoretical discussion...have a few ideas, nothing concrete though. Regarding heat considerations, not so long ago, heat and lasers were considered inseparable, but with the development of UV laser technology, the heat aspect has become much less of an issue, no reason to think you have to have something impossibly hot to have a functional cutting surface, a papercut still bleeds, after all. Perhaps a vibrational effect using an ultra or subsonic field?
Power source issues, a tough one, but let's suppose a quantum singularity could be somehow harnessed to the task. Given the possible nature of such things, it is likely to suppose that the singularity will have angular momentum, this could be used to drive a sympathetic generation device, perhaps magnetically? Containment could be an issue, but the actual containment area might actually be rather small (size of a rocket launcher as opposed to size of a building?), gravitational effects drop SHARPLY in degree with distance. They aren't eliminated, of course, but noticeable effects would be less noticeable than would an electromagnetic effect, it's just a guess, and it's currently academic, though.
Current technology may not really be up to the task of dealing with quantum singularities, theoretical or otherwise. Biggest problem I can see right now beyond that is mass considerations. Total package may or may not weigh very much, but a singularity possesses angular spin, and overcoming the inherent inertia might make this thing seem HEAVY, or at least not as mobile as a handheld device might require. Compensating with magnetic repulsion might only complicate containment of the singularity.
Another problem would be irradiation of the surrounding environment. The interaction this thing would have if not contained properly would likely release a MASSIVE burst of X and gamma radiation, not to mention other as yet undiscovered effects on the user, and this is just the power source, mind you.
Coming up with the delivery end of the device might well be a nightmare by comparison, though with a steep enough gravitational gradient, a short arc of light (if that's the preferred delivery) could be emitted,(not a sabre, but axblade?) and then promptly consumed by the singularity itself. Trouble with that is it requires the containment to be relatively "open ended" at one point, risking containment breach. I agree with other posters, a plasma field is the delivery of choice for this, though perhaps a harmonic vibration of the field could ameliorate the thermal output somewhat. This might be accomplished magnetically, much as the sun uses its magnetic field to affect solar flares, a residual heat buildup would require the field to be inactivated for a cool down period afterwards, limiting usefulness.
Well, all this is theoretical, anyway, implementing ANY of this is probably beyond our technical capacity right now, or for the foreseeable future. It is nice to dream, though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join