It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Militarising Comercial Jets.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
So, there is quite a lot of noise at the moment regarding a potential major conflict brewing, and I have been wondering about the inclusion of the "ash radar" that is currently being trialled on UK Commercial Jets.. These Jets are using infrared radar technology to supplement existing weather radars to track volcanic ash up to 62 miles away.

So my question is, given this uses infrared radar technology how close is this type of radar system to tracking incoming hostile's (missiles/aircraft etc)

Details of the system and vid

The new system, called Airborne Volcanic Object Identifier and Detector (Avoid), will be tested by Airbus on behalf of Easyjet within the next two months.

The system is said to track volcanic ash up to 62 miles away and between 5,000 and 50,000 feet, given that scope would that be enough time to react to detecting (or avoiding :lol) an object like a missile?

The reason I am asking is that I feel the West (US/UK etc) have limited assets to transport troops quickly, and in enough numbers to cope with a major conflict. (Especially with those worrying a draft will be imposed) so I wonder if commercial craft with this type of radar system and perhaps flare/chaff dispensers could be used to augment existing military transport?

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Edit to add: Mods, I've just realised I posted in the wrong forum, I meant to post this in Military projects, so if you could move it, that would be appreciated.

[edit on 29/6/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
If you militarized commercial aircraft, then you also make them a legitimate wartime target. Not a smart idea.

I wonder how their IR works in full sunlight? Sunlight usually interferes with IR to a degree.

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by GobbledokTChipeater
If you militarized commercial aircraft, then you also make them a legitimate wartime target. Not a smart idea.

I wonder how their IR works in full sunlight? Sunlight usually interferes with IR to a degree.

I would have thought any aircraft flying near a war zone (especially one with ground to air missiles) is at the very least at risk of becoming a target, and I for one, certainly don't feel going into a war zone smart

These things must work quite well in sunlight, perhaps the radius is restricted to 62 miles to ensure the quality of the results.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I think it is generally considered bad practice to shoot at commercial aircraft, and would make the aggressor very unpopular. Not to say it wouldn't happen though.

If you then make that commercial aircraft an information-gathering wartime asset, then I think its chances of becoming a target increase dramatically.

[edit on 30/6/10 by GobbledokTChipeater]

top topics

join