It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oneida Indian Continue Tax Fight In NY

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Last year, the county Legislature nixed a $55 million potential settlement dealing with similar issues between the Republican county executive and the Nation

www.uticaod.com...

www.oneidaindiannation.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

Land claim litigation
In 1970 and 1974, the Oneida Indian Nation of New York, Oneida Nation of Wisconsin and the Oneida Nation of the Thames filed lawsuits in the United States District Court for the Northern District of New York alleging that reservation land granted to them by a treaty between the Oneida Indian Nation of New York and New York state was taken from the Indian tribes without Congressional approval. In 1970, the Oneidas filed a “test” case in federal court, suing Oneida and Madison counties for two years rent (1968-1969) on county-owned acreage amounting to $16,694. The United States District Court for the Northern District of New York dismissed the action and the Oneidas appealed. On July 12, 1972, the Second Circuit United States Court of Appeals affirmed the District Court’s decision.[7] The OIN petitioned the U.S. Supreme Court to grant cert. In Oneida Indian Nation v. County of Oneida, the Court decided in the Oneida Indian Nation's favor

www.syracuse.com...

I being almost full blooded indian believe in the people of the land.I think this land should not be touched by anyone else and should not be taxed by the state.This is sad when the state is going after people who have had ties and lived on this land for longer than they can remember.
What is your feeling on this issue?

posted on Jun, 29 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by KrillsAngelWings

I hope they win. It's not right that they should get screwed. The US needs to live up to its promises before it can expect other nations to live up to theirs.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Skid Mark

I totally agree

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I agree completely. NY is messed up when it comes to relations with Native Americans. (Yes, I'm from NY).

Case in point. The Shinnecock Indians FINALLY just got federal recognition here on Long Island. So what is NY's next step? They want to force the reservation to begin charging tax on cigarettes. This is a) against their treaty with NYS, and b) will destroy a major revenue stream for them.

Why they can't just abide by their treaties is beyond me.

posted on Jun, 30 2010 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

It in my opinion is very disrespectful to the Indian Tribes of NY State.They should not get away with this.Nice to meet another NYer

top topics

join