It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Death of America - Conformism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
The Death of America - Conformism

I am working on writing a article/paper about the dangers of conformity and how it is directly relating to the potential downfall of America. I would like to gather some ideas and opinions from all of you on this subject. Feel free to post anything you like in relation to this topic. If any of you have some good examples of conformism happening in our society, or your society (if your outside the USA), please feel free to list them here. Thanks guys/gals!

"Be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind." - Romans 12:2

Our great American society is bound to fail, not because of external threats such as terrorism or international competition, rather, because of internal conformity. We have already become a society of conformists, who strive to meet the status quo by any means necessary. We claim to be good patriotic citizens not because we are simply focused on the betterment of our country, but rather, because of our contribution to society by way of working, paying taxes and obeying laws/orders. However, contributions are not solely positive actions, as there is such a thing as contributing to negativity, especially if that contribution aides in, and/or supplies to, a greater level of conformity.

Are we really patriotic if our work is self-servant and/or contributing to a negative outcome? How can one claim they are patriotic if they work for a military who is creating more external and internal enemies than they are 'protecting' us from? How can one claim they are patriotic if they work for, or own, a business that contributes to a negative outcome, or aides in conforming its customer? How can one claim they are patriotic if they are paying taxes to a system who blatently misuses that money? How can one claim they are patriotic if they obey laws, or orders, that are unjust, unequal and/or work towards conforming others insofar as themselves? Do we not trust others to do what is right? If so, is that because we do not trust ourselves to do what is right? If we do trust ourselves to do what is right, but not others, doesn't that say more about us, than them?

For those of us who do not see the great threat of conformity, I will supply you with its definition, as it is defined by psychology, and trust that you can form your own opinion on this matter. Conformity is the process by which an individual's attitudes, beliefs, and behaviors are conditioned by what is conceived to be what other people might perceive. This influence occurs in both small groups and society as a whole, and it may be the result of subtle unconscious influences, or direct and overt social pressure. People often conform from a desire to achieve a sense of security within a group—typically a group that is of a similar age, culture, religion, or educational status. Any unwillingness to conform carries with it the very real risk of social rejection. In this respect, conformity can be seen as a safe means of avoiding bullying or deflecting criticism from peers. Conformity is often associated with adolescence and youth culture, but it affects humans of all ages.

[edit on 27-6-2010 by LifeIsEnergy]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
"The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority." - MLK

"If Americans permit thought-control, business-control, and freedom control to continue, we shall surely move within the shadows of Facism." "...and he will most certainly be referred to as a Communist if he espouses to explain the cause of human suffering!" - MLK

[edit on 27-6-2010 by LifeIsEnergy]

posted on Jun, 28 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

No one? Nothing? Lol, alright. Mods please delete this thread. Thanks.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsEnergy

I think this is a good thread.
Too bad it died. I guess too many posters were 'conforming' to the popular threads of the time when you posted this.
Unfortunately many are forced into conformity by societies exclusion of the 'non conformist".

Economic factors contribute widely to conformity.
To be employable in almost any professions you have to conform with the expected 'image'.

After one has successfully adopted, or conformed to the expected image they now find that to be included in interactions in the workplace they need to be well versed in conformist conversations.
Celebrities
The weather
The top rating show
The number 1 song

That could be a major contributing factor as to why so many people who were not previously 'conformists' convert to 'normality'

It's a complex issue which I have only touched on some of the factors I believe influence the tendency for individuals in a society to become self homogenised.

top topics

join