It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stopping BP from profiting from our ideas that we submitted.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I fear our good intentions may have created a monster. BP asked the world for oil spill / gusher response ideas, without hiring enough people to be able to sort thru those ideas in any amount of time worth a damn. But now they are armed with these ideas, and in the future may try to become the worlds leading oil response profiteers.

I know I tried to rally for solutions:
Gulf Oil Gusher SOLUTIONS ONLY thread.

And I still think we alone came up with some great ideas that could have worked.

But it wasn't until 3 weeks after I sent my submissions did I even get automated response acknowledging the submissions, and about another week later until I got emails stating they've actually reviewed them consciously. By then it was too late, they had sawed off the BOP.

In today's economic scenario of unemployment and joblessness, they should have had no problem hiring a small call centers worth of people to process the ideas. They apparently didn't. So in effect we all wasted our time and passion.

Looking into the future, I refuse to have BP come out as an industry leader after all of this. So today I'm hoping to rally even more than before into focusing on how to prevent this.

Obviously, we need for BP to not retain closed ownership of our 100,000+ ideas. Even bigger, the idea of companies that drill for oil also standing to gain profits from the cleanup efforts are a major conflict of interest.

It all starts with public pressure on Congress. Here are their phone numbers for starters:
www.contactingthecongress.org...

Perhaps direct calls to Congress from those at this juncture won't be enough. What else can we do?

If the government doesn't intend to build the premier oil response outfit that BP stands to then these ideas need to be made totally public for private companies that will. After finally seeing videos about Mr. Costner's cleanup machine I know they're out there. In fact, the ideas should have been browse-able online from the very beginning.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
There does seem to be some reservation from the officials as to what to do and when to do it. I can't help but think it's beaurocracy and red tape, or even more nefarious, letting the spill worsen for some type of political or profiteering gain. Either way it is sad, but thanks for providing #'s to call and I am grateful for your efforts in reporting some solutions.
As I posted in your "Solutions" thread, this is the best solution I have seen.

Gulf Oil Spill Cleaned In 6 Weeks - posted by freighttrain @www.abovetopsecret.com...

While I would like to see profitability set aside for resolutions, I would guess they are going to go with the most profitable solution.....Seems par for the Corporate course.

Peace

[edit on 26-6-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
If the idea comes from you and you can prove it and it's adapted, aren't you legally covered to a degree?

Might be a good idea to keep your timestamped submissions and your responses, along with any other places you've posted them as documentation. Copying them to a write-only CD with dates might hold up in court as a timestamp and proof?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Honestly im not worried about trying to profit from an idea that would save the gulf.. call me silly , call me stupid, i just want to see the damn thing fixed regardless who takes credit...

~meathead

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I hadn't thought of the ownership of ideas angle. That could be useful.

But ideally, all of our ideas won't become the proeprty of BP, and instead humanity. We all use the oil, and not just for gasoline. We all have a stake in being able to effectively deal with these issues. If government isn't going to build the long term response force then I don't care if someone makes money off it, as long as is isn't BP and as long as there isn't a conflict of interest with who is making the money and do the drilling & transporting.

reply to post by Mike Stivic

I'm not just talking about the Gulf here. As far as our ideas are concerned, it was basically a waste of time even submitting them. They have been and are continuing to use the precise dated methods used with the Ixtoc.

The Gulf Gusher WILL be fixed. It WILL be cleaned up by both humans and nature.

The issue I'm shifting to is preventing them from becoming the premier oil spill profiteers, aka Disaster Capitalists, by using our ideas.

BP is responsible for crimes against humanity and the earth far before and beyond 2010, including the overthrow of democratically elected government(s) [look up Operation Ajax]. They must be buried when this is over with.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Well,did you consider how many lame responses of the same exact thing they received?

I doubt you or anyone could prove they were the first to think of it and that they used it.

Heck,we have a Nobel prize winner(as Obama like to continually remind us)working on a solution.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I see what your saying, you would like the ideas in the public domain for anyone to use and improve upon?

doesnt seem to hard ,just compile a list of links here to all the ones our own users have submitted over the past few months. or perhaps make a new thread to ask for readership resubmissions in one place?*with time stamps*

seeing where you are coming from now i tend to agree.

but with all the redtape backdoor deals and old boy network that is our government i am still under the impression the ones who would be put in charge of developing using those methods or funded wont be any better then BP, For the most part the contracts would just go to the same culprits under a differant shell company.

perhaps that too is just a jaded thought process ,and thinking of people like kevin costner at least TRYING to do something positive helps restore a little of my faith and hope for humanity.

~meathead

[edit on 26-6-2010 by Mike Stivic]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I would not be surprised if BP filed patents on some of the submitted ideas that work.

I also would not be surprised if they never gave credit for the ideas to the person that submitted them.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Oneolddude
Well,did you consider how many lame responses of the same exact thing they received?

That's why I'm pretty confident I alone could likely sift thru a 1,000 entries per day.

I'd be interested to hear the specifics of how they've been running the 'center' where they've been doing this.

Good call on the Nobel Prize person. A good example of how it should all be open source. Like a Open Source Oil Cleanup Project, or something. Maybe have Congress not spend a million dollars on studies of prostitutes in China this year, and fund that instead.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

That's why it's important to keep track of your ideas. I believe that even if someone files a patent and you can prove that it was yours, there's legal remedy.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Do not give any ideas or assistance to BP.

Would you help a killer plunge the knife deeper into your heart?

If you do, then you will get what you deserve. The Board of Directors of BP, even as they destroy your lands, are focused only on generating profit. The ideas you give, the free research and development services worth millions of dollars, will be usurped and profited from. You will not benefit either in the current crisis or in the future but the Board of BP will. They thank you.

It is bad enough the Chairman of the Board of BP told the American people to eff off and will not stop spraying Corexit, but now we have the victims running to BP begging to talk to them about their great ideas on how to pull the knife out.

Nice job. No wonder they call us "small people"!

new topics

top topics

join