It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Coming Gulf Coast Firestorm: How the BP oil catastrophe could destroy a major U.S. city

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by above
This has to bee one of the worst fearmongering news stories that reach the front page

Come on, fire storms!? OK, toxic gases and droplets of corexit spreading around and killing plants&animals, that is entirely plausible. Oil being carried around in quantities that could ignite and set places on fire is totally absurd.

I have to say I agree this is overblown. On the hand there is much evidence of tap water being ignitable so gas content got high enough this could be aplausible scenario.

Tap water on fire

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I hope something like this happens so the people wake up and sell all BP shares and demand action.

Ban BP for ever!!

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by jdills1196

This is worth consideration - nice find.

in response to slightly skeptical - your doubt is always welcome but consider the following -

And.....

I would like to add to this discussion by bringing up METHANE HYDRATES (sometimes referred to by other names) this is essentially methane trapped in frozen water crystal. These are the most abundant forms of hydrocarbons on the earth - and are incredibly volatile.

if the ocean were to heat up to a point where these massive deposits (the largest are off the coast of America) were to start releasing there gases (projected at 4-6 degrees above current average global temperature) then we would have a repeat what happened in our ancient past.

These gases can erupt so violently that they explode on contact with the air - their sheer quantity and volatility creates fire hurricanes which could stretch into the middle of north america.

This is not some trumped up hypothesis - this is a genuine fact. Off the coast of America the sea floor is twisted and gnarled in swirling patters - this is from the entire ocean acting in unison with these firestorms and literally scarring the ocean floor.

the current BP oil drilling fiasco would be very aware of this danger - and if there were any connection (via leaking methane, butane or simple oil and gas) connected somehow to these methane hydrates you would be facing a biblical event).

This information came to me courtesy of Science Book of the Year 6 Degrees and the head of NASA and presidential Advisor James Hansen.....that is terrifying.\

[edit on 27-6-2010 by Aristophrenia]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Unium

As do I.
Many of these people who make a living on the Ocean will have to travel futher out to sea than normal from now on and the result of this is a double de-population in our ocean stocks.
All the sea life that is dead or dying in the gulf plus the stockes in other areas that will suffer because those areas will be fished out as many countries in the area converge on the still clean waters around them.
Ultimatley, with the depleation of ocean stocks and the polution of farming land, there may end up being a conflict over fishing rights in the region, as ppl begin to go hungry.

I am just glad that Australia is far, far away from all this and that our fish stocks are still reletively stable and our farmland won't be affected by the fallout. Just hope that ultimatley dosen't make us a target as other countries begin to starve...lol

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vikki

(they) let people fry on the streets of Louisiana. (they) left The black folks on bridges to fry and left families drowning and also left animals tp persish in the after-dawn. The lines are drawn. It is as bad as we all think it is.

This oil spill/gusher/bomb/lie/etc is nothing more then a bash into the people who built their lives back up. FROM nothing. Only to have the PTB rain on their parade again.. get with it people .... man.. so sad no one even realizes what the heck is going on here.

I don't know how bad "we" all think it is, but I know how bad "I" think it is. In my eyes the lines certainly have been drawn and they've already fired the first bullets, without mainstream America having any idea. This is a covert declaration of war against the American People and it's just a matter of time until real bullets start flying. Don't fear a civil war, fear the consequences if there isn't one and we let them trample us into the earth. If it comes down to it we are a nation of individuals and free-thinkers who need to unite. God forbid, but they've already activated an infantry unit on american soil. If the time comes, we can't be afraid to adopt guerilla tactics and fight for our freedom. We beat the Brits before, maybe it's time to take out the trash

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by JanusFIN
Real Worst Case Scenario - But I also see its very possible. What writer didnt mention is airborne toxics, even if the doomsday fire doesnt happen, there is acid in the air - all animals will die to these toxics, and there will be impossible to breath.

Evacuate your selfs - Mother nature will attack greedy peoples. Leave now.

Bu..ocks, stupid mother nature will target the little people or us, "nutters" and not the greedy TPTB´s that have targeted us for her as expendables in their grand scheme of things. We will suffer and they laugh their a..es off in some super-duper Deep Underground Military Base.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Had to post this

(imgs.xkcd.com...)

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Jubjub

It's good to get a humorous perspective on the "end of the world"! Your avatar caught my eye after the posted comic, and I just have to say that you are NOT the only free thinker in a world of sheeple. Granted we are very scarce but we're coming to the surface. Just talk about it with your friends... I've already got groups of thinkers popping up here and in my hometown in greater quantities than before. The onesies and twosies are coming out of the woodwork and aren't just hiding behind computer screens anymore. It starts out small on the individual level and once the truth sparks it begins to spread like fire.

[edit on 27-6-2010 by ImYourHuckleberry]

After looking at your avatar again, I realized that they're all sitting there thinking the same thing. This only further illustrates my point that there's a lot more of us than people think! I've already got groups in my hometown that are very vocal. We need to talk to everybody about it and people will start coming out of isolation and realizing that they're not crazy and aren't the only ones thinking this way.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by HalfAWorldAway
I hope something like this happens so the people wake up and sell all BP shares and demand action.

Ban BP for ever!!

You hope something like this happens? I really hope you don't mean that, because if so you have some major issues.

As I said I don't believe anything like this will happen - however, if it did, it would be a horrendous disaster and it would kill lots of people, animals, plants etc... and it would do enormous amounts of damage to wherever this were to happen at (such as building damage).

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
@ the OP

I can see this happening

On Sci Fi channel with unconvincing CGI and several bad actors.

Mmmmkkk?

So should we expect birds to attack and eat our eye balls? Or the plants to poison the air ? Or dragons to destroy our military?

Sounds like you really like Hitchcock , Shyamalan and James Cameron films imo

A day of reckoning FEAR THE NATURE PEOPLE!

Originally posted by HalfAWorldAway

Ban BP for ever!!

MMmmmkk?

So then that is ONE oil giant down and several others stepping up to the plate to produce even more oil and more oil contracts. Like Haliburton

You might find you have much in common with the elite that want to reduce the population with poisons and a variety of means that believe they are killing innocents for the greater good.

This scenario sounds like the end of watchmen when Ozymandias blows up new york and kills millions

No thanks that is extremism

now where did i leave the popcorn

[edit on 27-6-2010 by Unknown Soldier]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Wow this is all getting weird. 4 months ago I had a dream where me and some people were running through a field trying to get away from basically a fire tornado.

Now if any signs of my next dream coming true come fourth then I will really start freaking out.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 10:43 AM
link   

This is one of my biggest concerns involving the gulf oil disaster. Not only will all the oil that is saturated everywhere catch on fire (there is an oil fire that started FIFTY years ago that is STILL going strong in the midle east) if the mass of methane gas on the ocean floor underneath the spill changes into a gaseous state and rises into the atmosphere, the air itself will catch fire. This is my understanding from what I have read elsewhere on ATS. I personally have no knowledge of such matters, but merely repeating what others have said, so I could be wrong. However, if this is possible, then theoretically the whole gulf coast could go up in flames, and the fires could go on for YEARS. Such a disaster would not only affect the gulf coast, it would be a worldwide catastrophe of epic proportions. I pray for the safety of all the souls who call the gulf coast home, as well as for all the thousands, maybe millions of beautiful, innocent animals who have suffered or died because of man's greed.

My 17 year-old son is planning to go to Pensecola for his senior trip next week. I fear for him, but at the same time I realize this may be the only chance he will have in his lifetime to see the beauty this part of the world has to offer before it is gone. It is sad beyond words.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Durabys

Real Worst Case Scenario - But I also see its very possible. What writer didnt mention is airborne toxics, even if the doomsday fire doesnt happen, there is acid in the air - all animals will die to these toxics, and there will be impossible to breath.

Bu..ocks, stupid mother nature will target the little people or us, "nutters" and not the greedy TPTB´s that have targeted us for her as expendables in their grand scheme of things. We will suffer and they laugh their a..es off in some super-duper Deep Underground Military Base.

Where they will languish until they run out of food and oxygen and die a slow and painful death, which is exactly what these evil PTB deserve.

[edit on 27-6-2010 by gaiagirl]

<< 1  2  3   >>

join