It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Coming Gulf Coast Firestorm: How the BP oil catastrophe could destroy a major U.S. city

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Leaking oil from the bottom of the ocean by almost countless barrels a day is something for everyone to worry about considering all the species of fish and aquatic life out there that will be effected... not to mention fishing and coastal towns and cities that may be effected also. But bringing things up to scare others into thinking only apocalyptic scenarios is just wrong. Yes, I guess it would be 'possible' for almost anything to happen, but I will live my life without worry until something happens that warrents action on my part. I cannot allow myself to be carried away by dreams of destruction.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Horrifying scenarios, but unfortunately being aware is part of being prepared.

This is sort of a gut feeling, but it seems to me that Tampa might be a prime candidate. It just keeps getting mentioned in odd ways...seemingly unrelated tidbits of information I've been seeing here and there since this all started.

Tampa seems to be focusing on their evacuation plans more than any other place. Maybe it's just coincidental that I've noticed this or maybe they're just being more proactive. One of the things mentioned is the local Tampa papers posting evacuation stories and then almost immediately take them down again. Saw that twice.

HunkaHunka posted this in another topic:

T he Examiner has this article today...

There is a desalinization plant near Tampa Bay that provides drinking water to approximately 1.8 million people. Plans on how the city intends to deal with the oil spill in the event of a tropical storm or hurricane could not be confirmed.

Again, could be just coincidence.

All the cities and states along the GoM should be at a pretty high state of preparedness at this juncture. Let's hope they are and that they're not relying on FEMA or the Federal government in too many ways.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by blujay

ahh you touch it with a needle

it will be long after we are gone and are great grand children will step in bps mess and sigh they will never know the beauty that was only an industrial wasteland.

sad folks very sad

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Now this is a scenario that I created a story around on the twenty third of this month. This article came out on the twenty sixth. This is really creepy to me. I'm pimping a link to my story because I think anyone entertaining this possibility will enjoy it.

On another note, the tar balls and the oil are flammable. I researched that before I wrote the story. Volatile and very flammable hydrocarbons evaporate out of the stuff at an alarming rate given the proper conditions. The particulate count in the air changes creating a thermobaric weapon type of effect. This is a very plausible scenario in my opinion.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm also going to link this article in the thread to my story as well! Thanks for the thread S+F!

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
i've been asking the same questions for a while now. here on ATS and other places but it is like nobody really seems to care. it is more of a bashing game to iet to blame someone then what the aftermath will be. well we'll see when the oil is coming on land. great post OP!

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I live on the coast and while I am not freaking out, I have already started making preparations for a worst case scenario. It's much better to be prepared when something unexpected comes along, than be caught totally unprepared, and in a vulnerable situation, don't you think? So if you are like me and live on the gulf coast and are affected by this spill, be aware of what is happening in your local area, and make plans accordingly.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
This has to bee one of the worst fearmongering news stories that reach the front page

Come on, fire storms!? OK, toxic gases and droplets of corexit spreading around and killing plants&animals, that is entirely plausible. Oil being carried around in quantities that could ignite and set places on fire is totally absurd.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Terrible as it is, at least people can try and evacuate on their own even if the authorities stand by idle. If I lived in the area, I would get out as fast as I could no matter if I had to leave behind a home and a job. My health and my loved ones would be too important. Acid rain, toxic gases, tornadoes and firestorms - why wait until it's too late to get out?

But I couldn't bear to watch any videos or news reports posted on ATS. These oil-covered animals just make me cry. The suffering that these inncocent lives have to go through.

A firestorm would be dreadful, but at least their suffering would be over quickly. These animals have nowhere to go. People can get out of the way even if it takes hitchhiking with only the barest essentials.

Do many people actually pack up and leave? I suppose it's hard to tell because so many homes are empty because of the other crisis... My thoughts are with you Americans.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
OK... I have been holding back on this, but this string is a perfect example, and it's time I jump in for a minute. Forgive my stray of the topic please. After following ATS for a long time, it is becoming more and more apparent to me every day that there are more naysayers on ATS than ever before. Practically every post has someone who says, regardless of the topic, that "it's no big deal, the story is false, the government would never do that," etc.... I can't help but wonder how many "posters" have signed on ATS simply to dispel these posts and/or include disinformation, and, more importantly, how many are paid by TPTB to do that very thing - at taxpayer expense. Seems to me these people are simply out of place. Why even log on to ATS unless you have an inherent (albeit in most cases, basic) distrust of the powers at large? Sure, some topics go over the edge/deep end, etc.... but I would suspect that if you follow the naysayers closely, you would find that they regularly dispel numerous, verifiable topics that cite respected people and/or organizations. Again, I have to ask, why are they naysayers even on ATS? Who are they working for?...... ok....stepping off soapbox now. Thanks for your time.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jackflap

Brilliant, up there with the best, well done.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 02:57 PM
link   
People are forgetting that this is not a spill, it's a rupture. The piping at the bottom of the sea floor is all your seeing. Please don't forget that that piping also extends into the sea bed to about 26,000FT below the sea bed.

BSL = Below Sea Level

If the reservoir collapsing in on itself is what you wanted to hear and read. Well. It will happen if they cant stop the rupture. Even if they do stop the rupture, I'm sure they will want to continue to collect the oil from the reservoir. If the depleted reservoir caves in on itself you will have a Tsunami's along with world wide earthquakes. Yes. World wide Earthquakes. Being the reservoir is 26,000FT below the sea floor. IF and when it collapses it will result in Earth Displacement. Where one Earthquake happens it will have to compensate for that movement somewhere else maybe even across the world, or even in Antarctica. We call this the [Earth Displacement Theory]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdills1196

This is amazingly true, because you have a city drenched in oil, and all the normal problems of a hurricane, you really are screwed. To point it out, Normal rain cannot carry oil, hurricanes tend to "Pick" up things, like fish and animals, so it isn't that out there. We can just hope it doesn't happen.

www.naturalnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

What about oil that has been broken into little tar balls by chemical dispersants?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by above

Why are firestorms so unfeasible? Have you seen the documentary Gasland?

There's methane at record levels and other flammable material everywhere. All it takes is a spark of lightning from a thunderstorm or down electrical wires. Seems fireballs are totally possible.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Andre33

I so agree Andre.

They may also be the ones posting the disorganized BS stories with the sensationalistic headlines, often multiple stories on the same exact thing, to prevent important (to some of us) information being discussed and gathered in one place. Divert and distract. I've never seen it this bad...not even in the thick of 9/11.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by The Dutch

There are two choices:
The best choice is to leave while you can in an organised way, taking things that are meaningful to you, and while you have a moment to sort things out.

the other choice is, stay and wait until evac, then when that order comes, you will be stressed, pressured for precious time, will not be able to take all the things you wanted to keep, and you would be wishing you did it on your own when you had the chance.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
so i have to ask...how many years are the people of the gulf coast going to breathe the toxic fumes coming off the gulf? how many kids will breathe that stuff as they continue to go to school year after year? how many men and women will be on the gulf waters in boats and ships with millions of barrels of oil being slowly evaporated into the surrounding air?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I dont live in the coast. but I do live in an area which is always threatened by wildfires.....The best preperation is, have a small trailer, or even an extra vehicle such as a pickup truck (preferably with a shell). while you have the time to think about what you want to save that is precious, load your trailer or vehicle, and have it ready just in case. dont forget to include some water, food, extra meds, etc, so you can stay with your possessions in case of evac, and not go hungry or thirsty.

Many small items I have that are precious are taken care of since last year. Emergencies happen, mostly without notice or even in the night with barely time to prepare.

Just have your stuff ready for when and if you must go. If you dont prepare ahead of time, then I certainly do not feel sorry.
Common sense. who cares what your friends or neighbors would think....You dont even have to tell them if you dont want....just take care of yourselves, and reduce the pressure, stress and even possibly panic when the time does come.
Will any of you prepare? Now?

Take advantage of the time you have, because you never know when time will not be on your side.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
The methane in the gulf is getting really bad. Methane is odourless and colorless. It stays close to the ground. It's only going to get worse. Time to move north of 40.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
actually, it may get far worse than that...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   
We are gonna find out all about this when the first storm hits....
Oh! Here comes Alex!
Good Luck !

<< 1    3  4 >>

join