It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wow - All Republicans In Congress Against The War

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
As an interesting side note, follow these tidbits of history to see just what the "great" president Lincoln opposed.

en.wikipedia.org...

Abraham Lincoln
Whig (1832-1854)
Republican (1854–1865)

en.wikipedia.org...(United_States)#Creation

The Republican Party was first organized in 1854, growing out of a coalition of anti-slavery Whigs and Free Soil Democrats who mobilized in opposition to Stephen Douglas's January 1854 introduction of the Kansas-Nebraska Act into Congress

en.wikipedia.org...

The Kansas–Nebraska Act of 1854 created the territories of Kansas and Nebraska, opened new lands, repealed the Missouri Compromise of 1820, and allowed settlers in those territories to determine if they would allow slavery within their boundaries. The initial purpose of the Kansas–Nebraska Act was to create opportunities for a Mideastern Transcontinental Railroad. It became problematic when popular sovereignty was written into the proposal.

en.wikipedia.org...

Popular sovereignty or the sovereignty of the people is the belief that the legitimacy of the state is created by the will or consent of its people, who in this belief system are the source of every political power. It is closely associated with the social contract philosophers, among whom are Thomas Hobbes, John Locke, and Jean-Jacques Rousseau. Popular sovereignty expresses a concept and does not necessarily reflect or describe a political reality.[1] It is often contrasted with the concept of parliamentary sovereignty. Benjamin Franklin expressed the concept when he wrote, "In free governments the rulers are the servants and the people their superiors and sovereigns."[2]

Those of you who were not educated in a public school might know that Lincoln was ambivalent about slavery.

He was much more concerned about losing political power - and the profits that come with it.

He was just as much a tyrant as anyone in US history.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This thread isn't being helped by people's (on both sides of the Dem-Repub divide) poor grasp of history.

First of all, the Civil War wasn't fought over slavery. It was fought to keep the "Union," or all the states at that time, as one entity. Lincoln issued the Emancipation Proclamation to attract political support from northern abolitionists. In his personal life, Lincoln would've been considered a racist by today's standards as he opposed equal rights for blacks and also probably wanted to deport many of the freed blacks.

Secondly, political ideologies have changed over time. This is a fact, even though it complicates the "Democrats and Republicans have always been the same!" line. Lincoln may've been a Republican, but the Civil War era 'Republicans' who reigned over their Congress were very different from today's party.

For example, they passed legislation such as unbacked fiat currency(greenbacks), high tariffs and the first income tax. They also helped grant federal aid to private enterprises such as railroads and agriculture. The Republicans of today are nothing similar to these 'big government,' 'tax and spend' Republicans of Lincoln's era. At least, they aren't similar in theory. In practice is another story altogether.

Trying to argue that Republicans always end wars while Democrats always start wars is purely sloganish. George Bush Jr. is a pretty damning example to disprove this.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Republicans know how to yo-yo ignorant Americans? What is new? Seriously, what is new?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Sink the Bismarck!

You have not only failed to show any correct sense of history yourself, you have clearly failed to show a grasp of what has been argued in this thread. With the exception of the post just above yours by the O.P., slavery wasn't even brought into it, and when he spoke to it, he clearly prefaced it as an interesting side note, and no one has made an argument about which political party ends wars more. If you can't even grasp the simple points being made on a message board, why should anyone believe you are able to grasp the complexities of history?

link   

you basically made my point for me.

of course, you didn't read what I wrote, no one has.

link   

I personally thank you for not being a selective history poster. Thank you for telling things like they truly are. It appears that most members don't understand that there have been value shifts over hundreds of years.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I found alot of good points being made in this thread.

Did the republicans vote for or against health care reform? Did it get passed despite?

The biggest fraud in government today is how a two-party system is fronted to the people.

It is a one party system. It is two-faced. Repubs this demos that. Can we not see through the veil and solve this simple puzzle despite it's forced upon us complexities?

If it looks like a chicken, talks like a chicken, it's a chicken. I say we together as one system of voters put on our ballots; none of the above, and (enter choice here.)

How can we vote to have that option placed on ballots? Will those votes be counted? Why has it not been implemented?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ISHAMAGI

I believe Ron Paul would. He takes a pretty hard stance against interventionism.

Is there a chance that if he somehow miraculously ran again and one that they'd sink their hooks into him and change that? You betcha.

I'm pretty sure we're trapped in perpetual war. Just like Robert Heinlein predicted in his first novel written in 1939, For Us, The Living.[/] Great novel, by the way.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1I guess we should be mad at them for wanting peace.

You're damn right I'm mad.

Eight years of those people that refer to themselves as "Republican" spouting off along with their sycophantic lemmings on how I and everyone else that thought the war was immoral and illegal were UnAmerican and they would dare have the gall to turn around all together at once and suddenly say that the war was immoral and illegal while clutching at their Patriotism?

I hope this isn't true, because if it is true and people actually buy it believing that this has been the eternal hallmark of the "Republican Party" then we are much more doomed than I previously believed. Hello 1984, Eurasia has always been at war with Oceania.

And for the record, before the spouting off occurs. I am not a Democrat. I hate both parties because in reality they are one party. Americans are getting played like a fiddle.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
The word for today is Hypocrisy.. Can you say Hypocrisy boys and girls ?

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The whole of Government is in hypocrisy. Not just the Republicans that may or may not be holding this notion nor the Democrats that have quite interestingly fallen silent about the war since President Obama took office.

Enjoy the infighting that this has created while the Imperialist Federal Government continues on its forced march to Centralized control of our lives.

Ah since most will argue things I have said, it doesn't matter who was in the Oval Office as this march began far before the current president that is overseeing the slow strangle hold of the American People.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Okay, there is 3 pages.

Must have been one hell of a discussion.

Here is the deal-

Now that the Dems are in power-Now that the Dems are in power, let the WAR ROLL

Okay, not the exact THREAD title but it gets my attitude distinguished.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

You have a right to be mad about the war and the denigration, and to be sure, they are announcing themselves as the ultimate hypocrites.

What I find most interesting is that the Republican leaders hold this view of the war in secret.

Politicians pander to what they believe will keep them elected. Since most republican voters are warmongers, the republican leadership feels they need to support the war. Of course, Ron Paul shows us this is nonsense. A person can get elected based on a strictly constitutional platform.

The wars will not end.

Ever.

Not until the country implodes from bankruptcy, which will be soon.

War is the health of the State.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1What I find most interesting is that the Republican leaders hold this view of the war in secret.

That's just the thing. Do they really feel that way? Do they actually support the war but want to lash at the Democratic leadership and get some points for doing so?

It doesn't matter to me, they are playing games with real people's lives on a much larger scale that what you and I would generally be capable of.

The wars will not end.

Ever.

Not until the country implodes from bankruptcy, which will be soon.

War is the health of the State.

I refuse to believe that. There's not much to look forward to if that's the case.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   

“This morning when we taped our show for this weekend, Congressman Dana Rohrabacher, a right down the middle conservative Republican from southern California, former speech writer for Ronald Reagan, looked at me and said ‘almost all Republicans in the House of Representatives now believe that the war in Iraq was a mistake, that it was unlawful, that it was immoral, that it wasn’t worth the lives lost or the trillions that will be spent’,” Napolitano told The Alex Jones Show.

I'm not buying it. Its a lie by Napolitano.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

I tend to believe they really do feel that way because making such a claim is a politically unpopular and dangerous thing to say.

The truth is difficult.

Therefore I believe what he says is indeed true.

However, its not going to change anything.

And no, I believe there is not much to look forward to. You're best off buying food, gold, guns, and ammo. I'm being entirely serious. If you have investments, you need to pull them out of the market immediately and buy physical gold and silver right now. I am not exaggerating or joking in the slightest.

Time is short.

[edit on 26-6-2010 by mnemeth1]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
And how many democrats are now for the war and seemingly for strikes against Iran now that Obama is behind the wheel? Remember all those liberals protesting outside the white house for the last few years of Bush? Cindy Sheehan? Where are they now? It's nothing but pure partisan bullsh*t

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 04:53 PM
link   
What the f**** do people expect?

It's called the American Dream... because you have to be asleep to believe it.

The job of a politician is to say what is required to get voted into power.

When they are in power they vote on issues as directed by the highest bidder.

Democracy is the illusion of 'choice'.

Why are people surprized?

I suppose the people STUPID enough to vote would be dissapointed.

[edit on 27-6-2010 by Pentothal]

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

truman got us out of ww2 and korea. wilson out of ww1. so no, rebubs have not got us out of most wars.

posted on Jun, 27 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Pentothal

great reply

I gave you a star for that post

it was worth it for Cheney ,Rumsfeld, Blackwater ,Haliburton and all the other war profiteers

it was never about anything less than draining the American Treasury Dry and transferring all of it into their hands

I don't know what it's going to take to turn this juggernaut around , We're F*d

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join