It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California City Fires All Workers, Including Police

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:15 PM
link   
(June 24) -- A Southern California city caught in a budget squeeze has fired its entire workforce, including police. But don't get any ideas when you walk into a bank there.

The city council in Maywood voted to outsource the municipality's jobs, so there will be police protection.

"We will become 100 percent a contracted city," Angela Spaccia, Maywood's interim city manager, told the Los Angeles Times. By the looks of it, Spaccia may not hold the position for very long.

www.aolnews.com...|main|dl1|link6|http%3A%2 F%2Fwww.aolnews.com%2Fnation%2Farticle%2Fcity-of-maywood-in-california-fires-all-its-workers-including-police%2F19529550&sms_ss=email

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

Has this already been posted? I did a quick search and nothing pertaining to this story came-up.

Any thoughts as to what comes next?

Pay close attention to this sentence; "Maywood will save about $164,375 from outsourcing all of its services, officials told the newspaper."

Isn't "out-sourcing" what created this mess, on the federal level?

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Who does a city outsource police enforcement to? Private companies?

How long before entire cities are contracting companies like Blackwater USA to serve as municipal police? If you think the regular government paid police like to bend laws and ignore basic rights, wait until the policing is done by these mercenaries.

US cities will be remeniscent of Falujah 2006. This sets a dangerous precedent.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
From this link;

latimesblogs.latimes.com...

"Local activists, who refer to themselves as "A Group for a Better Maywood," announced their intention to recall four of the council members: Felipe Aguirre, Edward Varela, Vice Mayor Veronica Guardado and Mayor Ana Rosa Rizo. The same group sought a similar recall in 2008 and failed."

Like in another ATS thread where; "conspiracy theorists are crazy, says CNN" I suppose this group of "A Group for a Better Maywood," are crazy too?

edit to add link;
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on (6/25/1010 by loveguy]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

"The 1.2-square-mile city" is tiny and can't be expected I guess to manage a budget. This will be scary to watch. How many more cities this size and larger will fall in the coming months?

And to think "out-sourcing" will be a solution? This is true political madness here folks.

For the record, I think Blackwater changed their company name to"Executive" something or another; in short, XE

[edit on (6/25/1010 by loveguy]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

When cities have no police force, the sheriff's office, which has county wide jurisdiction takes over patrol responsibility for the city. CHP is also the state police for CA, they just haven't changed their name to reflect that, so they too have jurisdiction.

[edit on 6/25/2010 by mistafaz]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:36 PM
link   
it about time they start cutting costs

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
fire an entire city just to save money on
benefits like healthcare, retirement, etc...
they are crapping all over the citizens again.

They won't have to pay Blackwater for healthcare
or retirement. Another mass epic fail. This is the kind
of stuff that has happened on a national scale that
put us in the recession/depression. Everything run
by corporatism. It might as well be Martial Law by
corporate means instead of the government.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

How long before entire cities are contracting companies like Blackwater USA

Last time I checked Blackwater didn't kill thousands of innocent people in a bombardment our media affectionately called "Shock and Awe". I am not saying that they are saints, but they have actually been held accountable for the bad things they have done. Not to mention that they have more rules to follow being a private firm. They also have to answer to the public.... the military is rarely held responsible its mess ups and all matters of grave importance are handled in house because somehow if we knew about their corruption and mishandlings, it would be a threat to national security.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
it about time they start cutting costs

I'm hoping this;
"Local activists, who refer to themselves as "A Group for a Better Maywood," announced their intention to recall four of the council members: Felipe Aguirre, Edward Varela, Vice Mayor Veronica Guardado and Mayor Ana Rosa Rizo. The same group sought a similar recall in 2008 and failed." doesn't get over-looked.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Wow seriously? The police force will be outsourced to private companies?

Am I the only one that sees major problems from this?

Major, MAJOR FAIL

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by star in a jar
Wow seriously? The police force will be outsourced to private companies?

Am I the only one that sees major problems from this?

Major, MAJOR FAIL

Actually the county has the jurisdiction, but will inevitably spread it's self too thin. Once all the small townships and cities fall then come the bigger cities fall because of the loss of their foundations.

Foundations crumble when their integrity gets compromised by corruption.

I predict dominoes, while I hope this gets nipped in the bud forth-with.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by star in a jar

You do realize that "outsourcing" would mean jurisdiction would be transferred over to the Sheriff's Office??? Meaning law enforcement duties for that town would fall under a county and not a city.

No "private companies" are going to be walking the streets of any city or county in California acting as defined in California Penal Code 832.

Stop the mindless dribble.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by loveguy
Actually the county has the jurisdiction, but will inevitably spread it's self too thin. Once all the small townships and cities fall then come the bigger cities fall because of the loss of their foundations.

Foundations crumble when their integrity gets compromised by corruption.

I predict dominoes, while I hope this gets nipped in the bud forth-with.

And if ALL the law enforcement fall backs start to topple then the last resort by the Governor is a State of Emergency where the National Guard would be called in to reinstate order. And the question would be "For how long?"

Knock on wood that NEVER happens.

link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

Who does a city outsource police enforcement to? Private companies?

How long before entire cities are contracting companies like Blackwater USA to serve as municipal police? If you think the regular government paid police like to bend laws and ignore basic rights, wait until the policing is done by these mercenaries.

US cities will be remeniscent of Falujah 2006. This sets a dangerous precedent.

So called "Contract cities" pay the 10,000 strong Los Angeles Sheriffs Dept for police services.. Maywood will join Malibu, West Hollywood, Santa Clarita and a few others.

Blackwater employees would have to meet California POST (Police officer standards & training) requirements in-order to receive a POST certificate and be defined as a "Peace officer" under 830.1PC.. back in my day only 3% of applicants made the cut... most Blackwater dudes wouldn't meet state required standards. Even if they met POST training, passing the required background check and MMPI / psyche testing would be a problem.

link   

Originally posted by mistafaz
reply to post by star in a jar

You do realize that "outsourcing" would mean jurisdiction would be transferred over to the Sheriff's Office??? Meaning law enforcement duties for that town would fall under a county and not a city.

No "private companies" are going to be walking the streets of any city or county in California acting as defined in California Penal Code 832.

Stop the mindless dribble.

While I am more than willing to believe what you are saying, I fail to see where this has been stated anywhere within the information provided.

Any kind of source or proof that the duty will fall to the sherrifs office, or is this something you "just know"?

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by GovtFlu

I used to live in Santa Clarita, they have their own sherrifs department, and a quite effective one might I add.

I see what you guys are saying, I just didnt find any information stating as such.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
OK, so what happens when LA County starts to run out of deputies? Sooner or later, the county runs out of money too.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719

While I am more than willing to believe what you are saying, I fail to see where this has been stated anywhere within the information provided.

Any kind of source or proof that the duty will fall to the sherrifs office, or is this something you "just know"?

Unincorporated Area

In California, all counties except the City and County of San Francisco have unincorporated areas. Even in highly populated counties, the unincorporated portions may contain a large number of inhabitants. In Los Angeles County, the county government estimates the population of its unincorporated areas to exceed one million people. Despite having 88 incorporated cities and towns, including the state's most populous, 65% of the land in Los Angeles County is unincorporated, this mostly consisting of Angeles National Forest and sparsely populated regions to its north.

In areas that are unincorporated such as LA, the Sheriff's Office takes jurisdiction of law enforcement duties.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy

Already being discussed here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

Like I said in an earlier post, it would then go to CHP (California Highway Patrol - State Cops). After that, the National Guard would need to be called in to restore law and order. And that would be bad...very bad if it ever got to that ANYWHERE!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join