It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Media Center Storage Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Hello and Good day:

I have a very simple question, and after searching I cannot find the answer.

In our media center how much storage space is each member allowed?

I fell like a dork for asking, but I am working on a image intensive thread and need to know how much I can upload here.

Thanks for your time!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by theability

It takes a lot. If there's a limit, I'm not aware of it. My media space has several hundred images in there.

A word of advice from experience...image-heavy threads can be cool, but they are only as good as the written content. A heck of a lot of recent members have let pictures and youtube videos do all the talking. Those threads tend to bomb.

A lot of members are on dial-up, at work or have limits on their broadband. Too many images and videos can severely slow their browsers and steal a chunk from their ISP limits.

With all that in mind, spare a thought for other members and only use as many images as it takes to support your opening post. Good luck with the thread.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
There are ways to reduce the file size of an image without reducing the visible size of the image. Make sure they are all reduced to 72ppi and crop out unneeded portions of the photos (excessive sky, vast expanses of grass that have no impact on your photo's subject, etc.)

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Kandinsky

A word of advice from experience...image-heavy threads can be cool, but they are only as good as the written content. A heck of a lot of recent members have let pictures and youtube videos do all the talking. Those threads tend to bomb.

Thanks for the reply.

As for the thread it is, Apollo Imagery related so no including images would be self defeating if you follow.

Though again I am asking to find a strategy for doing this correctly.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by theability

Some of the best laid out OPs use a pattern/template. It's like being back in school with the 'Point-Evidence-Explain.'

*Point* Make your point, express your opinion, state your position.

*Evidence* Provide image/images or sourced quote.

*Explain* Share your thoughts about why your point/opinion/position is supported by the images or quotes.

Images don't apply to the word count limit of an OP so it's possible to post a hundred images in one OP. Despite this, you can use judgement as to how many images are necessary. Words are crucial.

Bear in mind you can hold back some good images for follow-up responses in your thread. No need to fire all your bullets in one go.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Images don't apply to the word count limit of an OP so it's possible to post a hundred images in one OP. Despite this, you can use judgement as to how many images are necessary. Words are crucial.

Bear in mind you can hold back some good images for follow-up responses in your thread. No need to fire all your bullets in one go.

Ah good word to remember thanks! I need to have some follow up for this thread, so far in development it has taken an interesting turn and should snag a few that should help me decipher the questions proposed.

I like the Point, Evidence, Explain outline, I might just use your format if you don't mind.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Speaking of storage in media, if I delete pictures that I have posted in threads does it make the picture go away like Photobucket? I don't really want to keep most of them but if I have to, oh well.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by theability
Hello and Good day:

I have a very simple question, and after searching I cannot find the answer.

In our media center how much storage space is each member allowed?

I fell like a dork for asking, but I am working on a image intensive thread and need to know how much I can upload here.

Thanks for your time!

Im not sure the amount - but I have a HUGE amount of images loaded there. I have about 4 folders many pages long in each folder. Lots of graphcis I make, smileys, photos, etc.

Im sure you will be fine

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Thank you gel for answering my question I won't ponder this anymore.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aquarius1
Speaking of storage in media, if I delete pictures that I have posted in threads does it make the picture go away like Photobucket? I don't really want to keep most of them but if I have to, oh well.

I don't understand your question. If you uploaded the pictures to ATS media center, you can delete the pictures from your hard drive, and they will still show up in the threads that refer to the atsimg tags.

If you delete the picture from the ATS media center, when the thread refers to that picture, it won't be there.

One thing you could do is create a folder in ATS media center called something like "old pictures". Just move all the pictures you don't want to see any more into that folder, and you won't see them anymore unless you open that folder, so it's about as good as deleting them. And they will still show up in the ATS threads, moving them to another folder won't affect that, thanks to the good design ATS uses.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeenMyShare
There are ways to reduce the file size of an image without reducing the visible size of the image. Make sure they are all reduced to 72ppi and crop out unneeded portions of the photos (excessive sky, vast expanses of grass that have no impact on your photo's subject, etc.)

Either that, or what I do frequently that also saves a lot of space, is to just resize the image to 600 pixels wide, which is the most ATS can display anyway. The only exceptions would be cases where a higher resolution is needed but the resizing works great and it's often nice to see the whole image without having to scroll.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

The folder idea is a good one

I've got around 800 images and it really drags the browser when the images page is loading. Folders will be the obvious solution. Cheers!

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   

I'm glad you like it and I've noticed the same thing about too many images bogging down my browser.

But I really dislike it when I go to a thread the the images aren't there any more. Especially in a cool thread like the one about pictures from inside the Groom Lake facility, that thread was pretty old by the time I read it and what I expect were some pretty cool images were no longer there!

So I'm very reluctant to create the same issue with missing images myself, and just using another folder is a good way to keep them around without being too annoying.

posted on Jun, 26 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I've got around 800 images and it really drags the browser when the images page is loading. Folders will be the obvious solution. Cheers!

WOW OK now I know I am going to be fine

800!!! wow!

new topics

top topics

join