It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployment Benefits Extension Fails: Payments to more than 1 million people end

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Unemployment Benefits Extension Fails: Payments to more than 1 million people end

www.examiner.com

Last night, United States Senate lawmakers were three votes short of the 60 needed to extend unemployment benefits to unemployed workers.

decreasing the bill’s cost nearly $100 billion from its original price tag of $130 billion a month ago wasn’t good enough

According to U.S. Labor Department figures, more than 1 million people will stop getting unemployment benefits by the end of this week.

Also, the House voted in favor of a measure postponing a 21% cut in Medicare payments t
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
One of the comments on that page:

dv says:

I have worked and paid taxes for the last 29 years, this is the FIRST time I have been unemployed!!! I have looked for work and applied at more than 100 jobs ,some for minumum wage, to no avail. You are telling me I now no longer qualify for somethign I have paid into for the last 25 years?!?!? How would YOU feel if this were you?

Since lawmakers are able to decide not to continue payment then why is it mandatory for employers and employees to contribute?

What the hell is going to happen with an abrupt 1million people unable to afford to pay bills and buy food?

And these fools say

the extension would add too much debt to the already incredibly huge federal deficit
Ya as opposed to bailout out friends in the trillions and the un-ending wars.

This is mass corruption to an immesurable extent, because people already contributed to this and what they have basically done is turned unemployement to a non-returnable tax.

Forget the people, forget 1Million people but continue the wars and corruption???

1Million people starving and maybe soon homeless means what in terms of increase in crime?

Okay, I know people will consider the following off-topic but it's not

Haarp burning sea animals and creating natural disasters perhaps, raining oil in Louisiana perhaps, 1 million people with no money, the gulf oil spill, war tensions between U.S./Israel and Iran, wars that never end and never will end, a beautiful democracy turning into a police state with complete anarchy throughout govt. and... and.. and!

There's no end!

Are we witnessing the end of times here?
Soon money will no longer exist and if you want to buy food the only way will be with an rfid chip planted in your hand? This way these 1million people cannot steal from you?

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
It's frustrating as well because it seems like they're only doing this 30-45 days at a time.

If you look at some of the stuff that was attached to it, like higher taxes on US oil companies, and some tax breaks for corporations, it becomes obvious that the Dems want the Repubs to NOT vote for it...therefore they can gain political advantage from the backlash caused by the cut-off unemployment recipients.
Next week they'll pass a watered-down version, without the extras, this happens every time.

Just the same old right-left paradigm stuff to keep us asleep.

[edit on 25-6-2010 by Signals]

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
For everything to start to turn around, this must happen. Force people back to work. We don't have the money to pay for this. I wonder how much that guy paid in over 25 years and how much he has now drawn out.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Since lawmakers are able to decide not to continue payment then why is it mandatory for employers and employees to contribute?

I feel for the people who have lost their jobs. We contribute for just this type of situation. However the benefits are not permanent, They are meant to be a stop gap measure.

What the hell is going to happen with an abrupt 1million people unable to afford to pay bills and buy food?

Unfortunately this is the sign of the times IMO. They can either get retrained in another field, go back to school or take a job that is available. I know the pay scale will be much less than many of them have earned in the past. But we can move forward.

and corruption???

Is this new?

PEACE

Slay

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
For everything to start to turn around, this must happen. Force people back to work. We don't have the money to pay for this. I wonder how much that guy paid in over 25 years and how much he has now drawn out.

Sadly I have to agree with you. I know a few people that have now adjusted to drawing unemployment and are treating it like it's a lifestyle choice now. They plan out their weeks with activities, none of which include job hunting anymore. It is frustrating to have to work while they sit home and live the life of leisure.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
It really does seem like we have been experiencing one catastrophe after another. I never gave much credence to the whole biblical end of times talk, but it really does seem like things are heading down hill at an alarming rate.

The economy is going to get worse, in spite of what the mainstream would like for us to believe. I am torn in regard to the unemployment extension, seeing that yes it would create a serious problem cutting off millions of desperate out of work people from the only lifeline keeping them fed and housed. But at the same time, paying out billions of dollars on an indefinite, rolling basis is not sustainable and only digging the debt hole further down.

Between the crumbling economy, the wars that are at the brink of popping off, and the catastrohpic oil spill poisoning our southern coast, I am having a hard time finding a bright spot in any of it. It is all very overwhelming when you see what we are all facing.

Makes you just want to dig a hole and cover yourself up.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The republicans have been trying to stop unemployment extensions for a long time. They have finally succeeded. With the oil spill I bet a lot more people will be applying for benefits. Maybe that's their reasoning behind it??
I wonder how many people will those their homes because of this.

About the video:
The first part looks like a water spout, nothing unusual about it.
The burnt dolphins however....

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

from my casual perspective, a GF has been collect some degree of unemployment $$ for a long time now ... beginning of 2009?

the high unemployment here in SC has allowed 3 previous benefit extensions that i know of.

GF had long since exhausted her money that was credited to her account,
from previous employers. (see snip from govt link below)

i'm not sure but i think the nixxing of this 4th extension is going to cut off her benefits check (~ $109. wk down from the $300+ at the beginning of her odessy)
which here in SC is put into 4 different 'tiers' of the Federal money paid to the State to distribute to nonworking professionals, as unemployment extensions.

i think there are posters here who think that i've paid taxes for 25 years & i'm due that money...

look at the LAW regarding unemployment compensation benefits... who funds it, and some of the basic requirements to collect... its a lot different than many suppose
The Employee does not pay into the fund (although the cost to the company to hire you is figured into their wage scale...say $2 hr)

heres the info !!!

State Unemployment Insurance Benefits

Purpose
In general, the Federal-State Unemployment Insurance Program provides
unemployment benefits to eligible workers who are unemployed through
no fault of their own (as determined under State law), and meet other
eligibility requirements of State law.
Unemployment insurance payments (benefits) are intended to provide
temporary financial assistance to unemployed workers who meet the
requirements of State law.

Each State administers a separate unemployment insurance program
within guidelines established by Federal law.

Eligibility for unemployment insurance, benefit amounts and the length
of time benefits are available are determined by the State law under
which unemployment insurance claims are established.

In the majority of States, benefit funding is based solely on a tax
imposed on employers.
[Only] (Three (3) States require minimal employee contributions.)

For additional information, click here.

Eligibility
1. You must meet the State requirements for wages earned or time worked during an established period of time referred to as a "base period".
(In most States, this is usually the first four out of the last five
completed calendar quarters prior to the time that your claim is filed.)

2. You must be determined to be unemployed through no fault of your own
(determined under State law), and meet other eligibility requirments of State law.

The employer is the only one who fays into the fund... AND if no employee files a claim on that unemployment insurance account... the company gets those premiums returned to them after about a year after the 5 previous quarters payments into the fund were not used by the employee.

so in the long run, the company that hired you for $2 less an hour ->> because they 'pay' your unemployment benefits...
eventually get their premiums paid back into the companies treasury
but you got $2 hr less for the temporary coverage...
which sort of works to a $7 her paycheck for 13 weeks, then 13 more weeks if the need is still there or until your account balance (funded by yourself at the lower wage rate) is exhausted.

just though you'ld like to know how your being duped right in plain sight

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
What I find very sad about my fellow humans is that it is easy to drag them DOWN, yes I said DOWN to level of the Elites!

Very quickly people start screaming 'Has he / she paid enough into the system?', 'Does he / she deserve unemployment MONEY?!'

Well, let's ask herself how it is we are being controlled?

Money, by any chance?

Money is NOTHING in the grand scheme of things. It is ether, like carbon tax credits, that the Elites have created to rob us all and yet we all give in and start screaming over whether our fellow brother or sister should have enough 'ether', 'carbon tax credit', 'money' to eat, take care of their families etc.

Wake up people quickly, because before long, someone might not feel that you should have enough of something that doesn't really exist just because they feel you have had your two year limit and you don't, in their opinion, deserve any more!

What's the point in all this foreign aid, charity work etc if you won't even help your most desperate people?

The Elites stink and they deserve what will eventually, as matter of inevitablity come to them who have no Soul!

I feel very sad for all those desperate people in the US who really do not know where their next meal is coming from, but I feel even more sorry for those who have denied them their next meal!

That is a BAD, BAD place to be in the grand scheme of things!

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Please posts your thoughts and opinions in this earlier thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Closed.

new topics

top topics

join