It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People in the UK - Look outside, what's that object between South and East in the sky right now?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Sorry I had to create a thread for this, but I've noticed it for a few nights now - and it's always in the same spot, which is between South and East direction. There's not any other stars visible, it's just that one. Anyone else noticed it lately?

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I'm in the midlands and it's getting light outside now but 1 star is still shining really brightly in the direction you said. Don't know which one it is though. Oh yeah, there are no other stars showing because it's so light, so I watched it a while to make sure it wasn't a plane.
[edit on 24/6/2010 by Doyle]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
this is interesting
hurry up and get around the globe here to dallas!

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   

You Never Know...

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Seems to be Jupiter?

"Jupiter. At the beginning of June, Jupiter will rise in the east about 2:30 bst and, at magnitude -2.3, will be seen low in the south east before dawn. During the month it will gradually rise earlier and, by the end of the month, will rise about 1:00 bst and brighten to -2.5 magnitude. Best wait a month or so to see it well though. A small telescope will easily pick up Jupiters four Galilean moons as they weave their way around it."

www.jodrellbank.manchester.ac.uk...

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Do any of you have an Android mobile phone with web? If so you can download the Google sky Maps free from the Marketplace, it populates the stars and constellations in the night sky by location, so if you line it up with that star you are seeing, it should give you the answer.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Jupiter is presently directly in the SE sky in the UK, approximately 1/3 of the way between the horizon and "straight up" (the zenith). Right now, Jupiter is a magnitude -2.0 to -2.5, which is pretty bright.

heavens-above.com... (make sure the year, date, and time are entered. The OP was at written approx. 0400 on June 25, 2010.)

EDIT:
Doyle beat me to it while I was gathering my information

[edit on 6/25/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
yep....jup....get out your dad gum binocs and confirm....i suppose it would south of east from uk....

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   
so, on my sky site, uranus is right next to jupiter...above it slightly right.
so close, the symbols on the site are touching

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Doyle

That's my guess, too. I see it here, too. Of course not at the same time the OP does, since I am futher west.
Yep, it's bright.

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

I wouldnt trust those sites so often

Cant be Jupiter

btw what color is the object?

Remember to take pictures

[edit on 24-6-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter]

posted on Jun, 24 2010 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I think it would be jupiter. We are approaching the grand cross planetary constellation which should be early in the morning hours of the 26th. It includes mercury venus earth mars jupiter and uranus I think. Also a partial lunar eclipse on the 26.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

I wouldnt trust those sites so often

Why not? Do you have a reason to suspect that certain sky charts on the internet are incorrect?

I used heavens-above.com because I could easily enter in the UK location, plus it was easy to link to in the article. I also often use astronomy.com "stardome".

What issue do you have with these sky charts that causes you to doubt their validty?

Cant be Jupiter

I can't tell if you are serious or being somehow sarcastic.

If you're being serious, can you tell me WHY it can't be Jupiter. I know for a fact that Jupiter is visible at this time in the night (and very early morning) sky in most of the northern hemisphere -- I have seen it. Plus, Jupiter is very bright...AND, Jupiter was directly in the SE sky at the time the OP was written.

So, again, please explain why it can't be Jupiter.

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I don't see how it can be any planet if it's the same one I look at each night. It's been there in the exact same spot each night from 7 pm fir over 3 months now. What it is I don't know. Star, planet, other? But it doesn't change position each night?

posted on Jun, 25 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Andy(Uk)
I don't see how it can be any planet if it's the same one I look at each night. It's been there in the exact same spot each night from 7 pm fir over 3 months now. What it is I don't know. Star, planet, other? But it doesn't change position each night?

If you are watching an object at 7:00 PM in the UK, then it is not the same object the OP is seeing.

The OP noted the position of the object in the SE at 0400 hours local UK time -- not 7:00 pm. Plus, the position of the object the OP was talking about was only noted by the OP for the past few nights (not necessarily three months)...That's the object in question.

Perhaps you are seeing a very bright star.

You're right about one thing...if you are observing an object for the past three months from the UK at 7:00 PM, then it's not Jupiter -- Jupiter is not visible at 7:00 pm at this time.
HOWEVER, Nor is it likely to be the same object the OP sees at 4:00 am, either. Any object in the southeastern sky at 4:00 am would be below the horizon at 7:00 pm.

By the way, Jupiter has been visible in that part of the sky mentioned in the OP (albeit not at the same hour of the night) for a few months now. It is true that planets DO move differently against the backdrop of the stars, but they still move relatively slowly. You can't see the difference day-to-day, but you can see a difference week-to-week and month-to-month.

Please provide more info on the object you are watching (time, location, your general location)

top topics

join